Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyMcMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Just had my hands on new macbooks and everything looked nice until I noticed how heavy it is. Compared to x200 Thinkpads it is far too heavy to use it as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook. Would be great otherways. Tried also MBA and it was okay for weight but did not had any ethernet at all. I definitely need a lightweigt notebook with ethernet box so in near future it seems I'll have to stick with Lenovo & Dell notebooks ... :(

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I think the weight is perfect. It's no MacBook Air but given how it is made and the quality, I'd take this over a previous gen MacBook any day of the week!

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Just had my hands on new macbooks and everything looked nice until I noticed how heavy it is. Compared to x200 Thinkpads it is far too heavy to use it as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook. Would be great otherways. Tried also MBA and it was okay for weight but did not had any ethernet at all. I definitely need a lightweigt notebook with ethernet box so in near future it seems I'll have to stick with Lenovo & Dell notebooks ... :(

I just wonder, why do you need ethernet on a laptop which is designed to never really sit at a desk?

iSchultzie

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Good deal if 4..5 pounds is too heavy for you to carry then there is something wrong with you not the laptop. :D

jwkay

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ethernet on MBA

Tried also MBA and it was okay for weight but did not had any ethernet at all. I definitely need a lightweigt notebook with ethernet box so in near future it seems I'll have to stick with Lenovo & Dell notebooks ... :(

You might want to check out the Apple USB Ethernet Adaptor:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB442Z/A

Plugs into the MacBook Air's USB port and gives you the Ethernet you need.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Just had my hands on new macbooks and everything looked nice until I noticed how heavy it is. Compared to x200 Thinkpads it is far too heavy to use it as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook.

Wait till the next revision of macbooks come out - completely hollow inside - then maybe you will be able to bear the weight.

Eat some protein son.. be a man and carry that notebook.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Compared to x200 Thinkpads it is far too heavy to use it as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook.

Don't you know Windows adds 20 virtual LBs? j/k
But really I use my previous generation MB as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook and that's .5 LBs heavier than the current gen.

JNB

macrumors 604
I just wonder, why do you need ethernet on a laptop which is designed to never really sit at a desk?

It's a notebook, not a "laptop," and there's not always wireless available, so having an ethernet port is sorta handy. Oh, and it is designed to sit at a desk (kinda what those little rubber feet are for). Mine's on a desk or table 100% of the time when in use; at home, on a plane, in a hotel, at a client site.

As far as weight, the new MB is actually slightly lighter than the preexisting model. I carry mine twice weekly through airports and twice daily between hotels and client sites. Plus all the extraneous crap that goes along with my work. No, weight's not an issue.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
But really I use my previous generation MB as a "put it in my bag for everyday" notebook and that's .5 LBs heavier than the current gen.

i do the same. its not that heavy compared to the newer ones. once you actually carry it, its not that bad.

but if your waiting for the macbook nano, have fun waiting a while :D

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm not buying until it folds up to a postage stamp and weighs less than the hair on my head. ;)

That's happening next time they refresh the casing, but it will only have one USB port that's the size of an atom and you will never be able to find it to connect the $1000 adapter that Apple will release.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
I don't know how much stuff you guys cary everyday, but if you have a good amount of stuff weight savings is crucial. If you have ever been standing around at a tradeshow all day going booth to booth with that laptop bag and your daily essentials.....1/5-1lb is a huge difference. The difference between a really sore shoulder and a pain free next day. This is a very valid concern for many people. Hence the netbooks taking off. Those "Road Warriors" really appreciate it. But for infrequent travelers, the heavier notebooks aren't problematic. Personally, I tend to have a heavier purse, so weight savings are important!

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
I don't know how much stuff you guys cary everyday, but if you have a good amount of stuff weight savings is crucial. If you have ever been standing around at a tradeshow all day going booth to booth with that laptop bag and your daily essentials.....1/5-1lb is a huge difference. The difference between a really sore shoulder and a pain free next day. This is a very valid concern for many people. Hence the netbooks taking off. Those "Road Warriors" really appreciate it. But for infrequent travelers, the heavier notebooks aren't problematic. Personally, I tend to have a heavier purse, so weight savings are important!

Sounds like you just need a better bag. I travel with my laptop everyday.

http://www.mobileedge.com/mens-laptop-bags/laptop-backpacks

Check these out, I have one of their back-backs.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006

The x200 is an ultraportable with a 12.1" screen and no optical drive though? It should be lighter! :p

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Sounds like you just need a better bag. I travel with my laptop everyday.

http://www.mobileedge.com/mens-laptop-bags/laptop-backpacks

Check these out, I have one of their back-backs.

I need to avoid backpacks. Not because they aren't practical, but because they take about 10 years off my appearance and suddenly I look like a high schooler on a field trip. ;) Not good for my credibility. :D

Haven't tried to lug around my new "glassbook" but my work issued notebook is a 5.5lb Dell. A few occasions I was able to use my ibook instead. Big difference in travel weight. Between Apple's mini power adapters and the lighter weight it was great! Can't wait to use my new MacBook for the next event, should be even better. That being said, if I need to lug around paperwork or other stuff these 4.5lbs would be too much.

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Because some PC ultraportables like the Toshiba R600 are fully-equipped notebooks (without FW but with ExpressCard in this particular case).

let me see...
r600 cost how much more compared to macbook?
screen size?
hard drive?
ram?
CPU speed(i doubt any ultraportable has over 2ghz.)
video(really doubt it will beat 9400)

dannn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
you guys are being too negative. For a 13.3" laptop, 4.5lbs is acceptable.
i was definitely hoping for something a little lighter when i heard about those BRICK rumors...like maybe 4lbs or something, but hey..4.5 is better than the 5lbs it used to be

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
let me see...
r600 cost how much more compared to macbook?
screen size?
hard drive?
ram?
CPU speed(i doubt any ultraportable has over 2ghz.)
video(really doubt it will beat 9400)

It's not a direct comparison. He complains about the weight of the MacBook, and the MBA is not a real notebook, so the way to go is PC, regardless of cost.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
4.5 pounds is most certainly not heavy if it is then maybe hit the gym (no offence). You think 4.5 is heavy try carrying 5.6-6 pounds

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I actually agree with the OP.

4.5 lbs for a 13.3" laptop is definitely on the heavier side. It feels dense to say the least. The $1000-above Sony and Dell 13-inchers are about 3-3.6 lbs. One might say "woo 1 lbs difference", but it adds up when you have a bag full of books or equipment already. The difference is certainly noticeable.

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008

I have a previous gen macbook as well, and I'm amazed at how light it is. I could never own a macbook air, I'd be too paranoid I'd snap it in half.

Of course, the laptop I recently replaced was a five year old ten pound monster... so maybe I just need to get used to current technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.