Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
If you read he isn't comparing the old gen to this new gen.. He is comparing them to Dells and Lenovos.

More importantly, he's comparing the MB to machines without optical drives. When he has to tack on his ultrabay, it's back up over what the MB weighs. A more applicable comparison would be with the Air.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
The new MacBooks are 4.5 pounds. The previous generation of Macbooks are 5 pounds. I carry a black MacBook with me everyday and have never had a problem with its weight. I certainly have no problem with a weight reduction in the new generation.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
X200 weight

More importantly, he's comparing the MB to machines without optical drives. When he has to tack on his ultrabay, it's back up over what the MB weighs. A more applicable comparison would be with the Air.

True enough, but Toshiba's new Portege R600 and A600 include a built-in optical drive, Ethernet, Webcam, hard drive, and 12.1-inch LCD yet weigh just 2.3 and 3.2 pounds.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
In my experience, the bit that you'll really notice about carrying a backpack is the other cruft besides the laptop. I carry my polycarb MacBook to and around Uni basically every day, and with only it and a bit of stuff in the bag, no problems. It's when there's lots of books or notes to carry too that I start to notice it.

And my personal viewpoint on carrying 5lb notebooks - I've not been able to carry very heavy bags since I sustained a back injury a couple of years back. Which is where the 13" MacBook really shines as a full-featured, but utterly manageable, notebook. I wouldn't say that there is a serious problem with the weight unless the owner has back troubles, and that you also feel a lot less of the weight of something in a backpack than in your hand.

And yes, the Lenovos are even lighter than the MacBooks, but sadly they run Windows, which is a total dealbreaker. :p

altair7

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2004

Umm, people carrying around ultraportables aren't going to carry around the external cd drives. I hardly ever use my cd drive nowadays. Probably once a month at most. Therefore, the "with the external cd drive" argument isn't really valid.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
In my experience, the bit that you'll really notice about carrying a backpack is the other cruft besides the laptop. I carry my polycarb MacBook to and around Uni basically every day, and with only it and a bit of stuff in the bag, no problems. It's when there's lots of books or notes to carry too that I start to notice it.

And my personal viewpoint on carrying 5lb notebooks - I've not been able to carry very heavy bags since I sustained a back injury a couple of years back. Which is where the 13" MacBook really shines as a full-featured, but utterly manageable, notebook. I wouldn't say that there is a serious problem with the weight unless the owner has back troubles, and that you also feel a lot less of the weight of something in a backpack than in your hand.

And yes, the Lenovos are even lighter than the MacBooks, but sadly they run Windows, which is a total dealbreaker. :p

If the Lenovo had OS X I would buy that without hesitation.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
The new MacBooks are 4.5 pounds. The previous generation of Macbooks are 5 pounds. I carry a black MacBook with me everyday and have never had a problem with its weight. I certainly have no problem with a weight reduction in the new generation.

I carried a 4.6 lb, 12" powerbook around for years with nary a complaint. How is this Macbook somehow worse?

Jatku

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
Though it doesn't sound like a lot of weight, those things add up. I can notice a large difference when I run with one pair of shoes over a pair that weighs a couple ounces less. I've gone to classes and forgot to bring a book, and at the end of the day I feel a little more comfortable.

Deschain

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I just wonder, why do you need ethernet on a laptop which is designed to never really sit at a desk?

This doesn't make sense. There are often times ethernet is needed/ wanted.

Case in point, i'm sitting at University in my lab. The wifi isn't terrible here but i get a huge speed boost if i go for ethernet.

I wasn't aware the new macbooks lacked ethernet, that paired with the lack of firewire is really a dealbreaker

kevin222

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
This doesn't make sense. There are often times ethernet is needed/ wanted.

Case in point, i'm sitting at University in my lab. The wifi isn't terrible here but i get a huge speed boost if i go for ethernet.

I wasn't aware the new macbooks lacked ethernet, that paired with the lack of firewire is really a dealbreaker

I think the bigger point here is that the Air is targeted to buyers that want ultimate mobility first, and not necessarily an expanded feature set. Most who are using the Air, will be using it in a wireless environment, and would not need to be hardwired.

The new Macbook does have an ethernet port.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
True enough, but Toshiba's new Portege R600 and A600 include a built-in optical drive, Ethernet, Webcam, hard drive, and 12.1-inch LCD yet weigh just 2.3 and 3.2 pounds.

At this point those computers are vaporware, but when they're available they will also be slower and more expensive than the MBA, not to mention the MacBook.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
The 12" powerbook is 4.6 lbs, the new Macbook is 4.5 lbs. How in the hell could you consider the new Macbook heavy?

If you need a lighter laptop, buy an Air.
Wow, I was going to get one because I thought it was lighter! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.