Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

non fiction

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2002
Sydney
I don't find this very believable - at least not the price part. This new iMac would almost rival the base model Powermac for speed and capability. With the recent updates to the laptops with that tasty price drop, I don't think apple will be overpricing any new iMac updates.

In addition, if the specs are correct, we must be seeing some new Powermac as well, or at least an announcement with a few months to shipping. If not, perhaps apple is leaving the Power arena?

I find it this rumor very sketchy

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by edvniow
I don't believe the part about the price at all.

4000 EU is about the same as 4000 USD (last time I checked the exchange rates) and to have an iMac the same price as a top-of-the-line Powermac doesn't make sense, unless it's an anneversary version or something, then I could see it, but a beefed up iMac for 4k? Don't think so.

That is what makes me disbelieve this rumors despite wanting it
to be true. The iMac is in need of an update, but I think it is also
in need of a price-drop. Maybe they will pull off something like the
last powerbook and iBook upgrade.... hopefully ;) .

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think they are going to have much more impressive hardware than the 1GHZ iMac

With them announcing UT2003 and posting it on their website(Apple had the annoucement for two days)...then subsequently removing that announcement makes me think they are going to annouce the game and hardware at the same time...possibly with the game being displayed on stage using some new hardware. Possibly the 9700 mac edition or the announcement of the Geforce FX being piloted on the Mac(Similar to the Geforce 4) Maybe even the new 970 Processors being announced and fawned over......

We will see...but it seem they are gearing up for a big annoucement and bumped up iMacs wont do UT2003 justice...so im assuming a much heavier piece of hardware.

Just a thought....though them pulling the announcement on their website is the clincher for me....as Apple usually likes to give its surprises in bunches. And i can see UT2003 on new hardware as a big announcement.

Marvenp

macrumors member
This is a joke right?

That kind of money is not worth an iMac in any configuration. I'd buy a PowerBook with slotloading DVD-R drive before I'd dish out that kind of money for an iMac. And I have a 17' iMac. I paid ´230,000 Japanese yen for it. The difference between it and this rumored new machine? 200Mhz of processor speed, 40GB of HD space and 2' of screen space. I don't think that's worth double the price.

What the hell is Apple thinking if they release an iMac in that price range? That would mean that PCs are getting FASTER and CHEAPER while Macs were just getting more expensive. I thought the iMacs were supposed to be the consumer model to appeal to those who don't want to morgage the house to buy a computer. Has Steve's arrogance once again gone into overdrive? If someone in the higher ranks at Apple is reading this, please try to reason with him because to release an iMac for that price will be utterly STUPID!

In the eyes of PC users Macs have a reputation of being overpriced with little to offer in the way of performance. Why the hell would anyone "switch" if Apple proves that to be true?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
Maybe the price IS right, if you think what it COULD include as a digital hub. After all, with a 19" screen, all you need to do is include a remote. With a new digital tuner for TV and Radio, and with the new carbon sound/midi for true stereo surround sound, nice soundstick-style speakers, a dvd-r for tv recording/DVD playback and the iPod for stereo jukebox functions, what else would you need in the living room?

I'd probably pay for one...:cool:

darndog

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2002
uk
is anyone keeping score?

i'm new here so i have no idea how reliable (or good guesser) the source is, does anyone keep track of who has the best rumours (turn out mostly true), and how this one rates?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: New Machines on Jan 7th

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacBidouille posts rumors about upcoming machines at MWSF:

Translated by aramk:

I don't believe that the "new" imacs will sel at 4000 EURO's.
That only for a HD that's a bit bigger and 200 MHZ extra? no way.
Cmon even a dual 1.25 with 512 MB doesnt even sell here for that kind of money.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
We're talking a lot about the price, which we assume is either wrong or it's something way beyond the iMac we know.

The key point, to me, is that we're doing speed bumps for the next several months to a year. (Hopefully price bumps won't accompany that.)

Apple is handcuffed by processor makers right now. If speeds were equivalent, imagine how many more "switchers" there would be (don't make this into a G4 is faster than a P4 MHz argument -- we all know Apple needs faster machines; yesterday).

Apple is doing a great job moving the technology forward, innovating, etc. I just hope the next generation processor isn't anything but a plus to the Mac line.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Unreasonable predictions

Obviously $4K for an iMac wouldn't fly, and Apple knows that. There won't be a $4K iMac. And with the economy the way it is, Apple isn't about to introduce something as pricey as a wireless screen. Yeah it would be cool, but nobody would buy it (at least not enough to justify).

My predictions (not based on any knowledge other than past Apple history):

-iMacs bumped up in speed. Middle model gains 17" monitor, low-end keeps 15", high-end keeps 17". I predict no 19" iMac for at least the next 12 months.

-PowerMacs might get a speed bump, but I'm leaning towards that being a March-or-so announcement. If there is a speed bump, nothing else will change (no USB2, no FW2, no Bluetooth). Those updates will come in Spring or Summer. I wish they were sooner, but I don't see it happening. Possibly now using the 4X DVD burner though, although I see that happening quietly without a major announcement.

-iBooks, eMacs get a speed bump, and nothing else.

-PowerBooks get nothing (previous announcement too recent).

-iTunes 4, and some iDVD update shipping. iPhoto 2 discussed or shown, not ready yet.

-FCP 4 shipping.

-Major iPod revision. 5GB gone, 10GB and 20GB drop in price. Ability to connect CF cards and preview photos on screen. Sync new iPod with iPhoto 2.

-XServe speed bumped, maybe getting FW2.

-Lots of Rendezvous demos, announcements of compatible third-party products. Other than hardware announcements this will be the focus of the keynote.

-Promise that "at least some" of Mac models for 2003 (full year) will still boot OS 9. In the long run this will mean the lowest-end model of each machine. First machines not bootable in 9 will be the revised XServe (are they bootable now?) and new G4's to be announced in March.

-Quark will demo Quark 6 for OS X, claim how much they love Macs, and will get boo'd. No delivery date promised. Intuit will demo QuickBooks for X, although it'll be a crappy upgrade other than being carbonized.

And my "going out on a limb" predictions (with no basis in fact):
-iSync (with related changes) will sync with Exchange Server (Mail, iCal, Address Book).
-AppleWorks 7 (or whatever next version is) will use Word/Excel file format as native format. Not shipping for a while, but announced.

Those last two will seriously pi$$ off Micro$oft, who will threaten to stop updating Office for Mac. (I see a serious Apple/MS rift approaching in 2003; just a gut feeling.)

Again, just random thoughts.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
Pricing

Of course it's all wrong. It is a RUMOR not fact. I believe that there will no longer be a 15" iMac in any event. All will be 17" as the current top of the line. Look for major iApp announcement, possibly iPhone, along with updates on iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, et al. I finished. :)

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
15" iMac no more.. That's a very good thing.
19" could be a good thing but it would only bring confusion to iMac line and people who need 19" will probably get PowerMac anyway.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Pricing

Originally posted by pkradd
Of course it's all wrong. It is a RUMOR not fact. I believe that there will no longer be a 15" iMac in any event. All will be 17" as the current top of the line. Look for major iApp announcement, possibly iPhone, along with updates on iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, et al. I finished. :)

I think they have to keep the 15" iMac model. I don't think they should be eliminating the lower-end models - instead they should be lowering prices on them to remain price competitive. For example, they could keep the 15" model and lower the price to $999. They would also have to lower the lowest-end eMac to maybe $799. Which means maybe they could possibly lower the CRT iMac to $599 (and even put in the new G3 chip and ATI Radeon 7500 16MB that are in the $999 iBook).

All of the above are still great machines. At the Apple store I tested Mac OS X on the 700MHz iBook with only 128MB and it was still zippy - probably thanks to the Radeon 7500 and Quartz Extreme. So a G3 CRT iMac with similar hardware inside is still a great little machine, and a $599 would make it viable for educational institutions that are flocking to $500 Dell machines in droves.

Not that I think Apple should compete on price as a strategy (there's no way they can beat Dell), but if they can lower prices and still make a profit, I think it would only be to their benefit. And I don't think it would steal sales from higher-end models since most low-end buyers start with the price point they are willing to pay and then see what they can get for that price, rather than being rigid about what they want in a computer and then paying whatever that costs (that would more accurately describe the buying behavior of a higher-end buyer).

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
Originally posted by bennyek
I would think that FCP4 would be a pretty significant announcment on the 7th.
Any thoughts

I would say that NAB is a more likely venue for the introduction of FCP4.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Flies in the face reality

Regarding the alleged price increase, it goes against Apple's most recent product update, which was to boost speeds and lower prices to the point the iBook became one of the best values in compact notebooks out there.

Look for more of the same at MWSF, I'd wager.

pejobass

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2002
This is nonsense! There's no way Apple is gonna have 4K iMac, unless is a special edition.

:confused:

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
I have a better idea

Maybe Apple should get its head out of its @$$, make a 1.7-2.0 G5 ASAP, and offer these new Macs with a redesigned 19-21 inch CRT Monitor and stop making only overpriced, underpowered LCD crap.:eek:

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Re: Unless...

Originally posted by springscansing

Did I miss something, or did you say WIRELESS screen? That's not possible. How the heck would it even power itself? And airport can't send data nearly fast enough.

umm... you guys are outta the loop. of course with the fury of technological advancements today it's pretty easy to be.. but yeah wireless screens are possible. In fact they now exist. Merry Christmas.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/airpanel_airpanelv150.htm

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Looks like everyone has missed the 2nd most obvious answer. The first answer being that the rumor is false. The second answer being that Apple wants the iMac to be the center of a digital hub. Well if you buy an iMac and you don't have any devices to plug into it it isn't exactly a digital hub is it? So maybe Apple is going to make a package with the high end iMac, printer, scanner, digital camera, iPod and what ever other device they might include.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
darndog mirrored my thoughts...

IF Apple does release a $4000 iMac, then it has to appear worth that much to the consumers.

For me, a detachable, wireless monitor with touchscreen iMac, using Airport 2 / Bluetooth / ? would just about fit the bill.

If you are a careful observer, you will see that Apple almost always "tests the waters" before diving in, maybe to test the manufacturability or acceptance of a concept. The Power Mac 9600's had a small bit of translucent Bondi blue plastics in the door release catch before the iMacs debuted. The 9600's also had a very easy opening case, which was improved upon with the "latchdoor" Power Macs. The LCD Studio and Cinema displays predate the LCD iMacs. Upon hindsight, nearly all the clues are there to hint at the latest thing released by Apple.

Taking that into account, one could see clues in recent releases that point to some kind of detachable face iMac -- the big push in several areas by Apple; wireless, syncing, chat, inkwell. The integration of an LCD with the iMac while still "distancing" them through the metal neck.

To me, the biggest clue is inkwell. You need a writable surface to use it, so why rely on third parties to provide that? It's nearly impossible to write on a vertical screen. Keyboarding is much easier and efficient than writing with a stylus. The only logical use for inkwell is in a tablet-based environment. Microsoft has beaten Apple to the table with their tablet offerings and they have been met with lukewarm response. Now here comes Apple iPodding the tablet design. They do it right, reviews go agog over it. Everyone wants one. Throw in a TiVO style PVR (saaaay? how much programming could you fit on the rumored 120GB drive with MPEG4) and you've got a personal video delivery system.

Also possible in the wings (more clues from recent offerings): wireless everything. Apple tested the market with its bluetooth adapter, now maybe we'll see, along with the detachable screen, wireless keyboard and mouse for when the screen is attached.

Stuff like that? Yeah, I could see Apple charging $4000 for it, take the cash from early adopters, and see the price fall over the next two years as LCD and other technology costs drop.

Just a theory.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Re: Re: Unless...

Originally posted by insidedanshead

umm... you guys are outta the loop. of course with the fury of technological advancements today it's pretty easy to be.. but yeah wireless screens are possible. In fact they now exist. Merry Christmas.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/airpanel_airpanelv150.htm

This Viewsonic is not a wireless monitor - it's a Tablet PC. I think recents posts are confusing the two. To have a Tablet PC is straightforward - just stick a G4 in a slim case (certainly possible if you look at the TiBook, add a touchscreen, and you're done. And that could certainly bump up the price of the iMac to $4000, since you'd be buying two computers! (unless the base station didn't have a CPU at all?).

What would be an entirely different product (but definitely not worth $4000 since it has even less functionality than a Tablet PC) is a true wireless monitor with touch screen, which wouldn't have a CPU but would act as a combination wireless display / input device. I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth sending the full-screen video would take, though. My guess is the 11Mbps Airport is not enough. And forget Bluetooth - remember, folks, it's only 724Kbps!! And even if they used 802.11a that's only 72Mbps, I think. But maybe it only updates part of the screen? Maybe it's like when you use Remote Desktop typ technologies... That would imply that the display would have to have at least a small CPU, since it would be more than just a "dumb display".

Or maybe it's a combination iMac / Tablet PowerBook, and when you have it docked it can use both CPU's!!!

Still - I hope this is all a bad rumor. I don't think Tablet PCs add that much value, so I hope when Apple introduces them, it'll just be an added "feature" of a new iMac, iBook, or TiBook model, and won't come at an added price premium...

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Is it possible that they could market this iMac as a workstation for DV pros. Wait i'm not crazy hear me out.....

It could have an HD display, 120gb hard drive and be bundled with FCP....this could explain the high price...

I know, I know, unlikely, just thought i'd throw it in there...

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Originally posted by bennyek
I would think that FCP4 would be a pretty significant announcment on the 7th.
Any thoughts

Why I don't agree: FC is a pro-sumer software. iCal, iTunes, etc. on the other hand, are hot ("free") items that are going to boost Apple into the homes of our parents.

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Unverifiable is right!

First thought: MacBidwho?? Any history on MacBidouille accuracy? As most everyone is singing, sounds like a crock. This isn't even entertainment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.