Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Yep, all very good points. I am not so lucky, as don’t see any real movement for my 4PX delivery. Did you pay for expedited shipping? I’m not too worried overall but it is a bit annoying they don’t ship to the UK with a consistent provider.

Still I can see it has been measured in China. Hope the quoted 3-6 days is on point, and then I can see if it is a disappointing fit or just what the iPad doctor ordered ... :)

Yes, I'm very intrigued to get the case myself soon and test it out!

I ordered when there was that weird glitching happening with their website, so basically it didn't offer me "free" shipping at all and only had an "Expedited Shipping" option to select at all, which was around $20 I think?

Might be they just pick their shipping agent at random from a list of 3 they have (a bit like Amazon)? :(

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Also, random question, but when you are all charging your iPad Pro via the USB-C on the Magic Keyboard / smart connector do you hear a noise at all?

I’m getting a very distinct noise when I plug in to charge via the keyboard USB-C which is annoying...

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Also, random question, but when you are all charging your iPad Pro via the USB-C on the Magic Keyboard / smart connector do you hear a noise at all?

I’m getting a very distinct noise when I plug in to charge via the keyboard USB-C which is annoying...

Haven’t noticed a noise, is it coming from the charger or the port?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don’t think this is a MK issue but more latest update issue. At 17:26 and my battery is on 14% left. Granted I’ve used it all day from 8am TIL now. Screep time it is on 7 hours, 33 mins usage. Not sure how much or at all is the MK effecting the battery life or not.

Reactions: SimonMScott

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Haven’t noticed a noise, is it coming from the charger or the port?

Seems to be coming more from the port or iPad Pro itself? Thought it might be a noise coming from the way it charges through the smart connector?
[automerge]1588178699[/automerge]
I don’t think this is a MK issue but more latest update issue. At 17:26 and my battery is on 14% left. Granted I’ve used it all day from 8am TIL now. Screep time it is on 7 hours, 33 mins usage. Not sure how much or at all is the MK effecting the battery life or not.

Hmmm...yes this is what I was talking about last week? Seems to be draining quicker but I’ve not much to base it on as not had my iPad Pro itself long...

Anyone else experiencing either sound while charging issues or quicker battery drain?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seems to be coming more from the port or iPad Pro itself? Thought it might be a noise coming from the way it charges through the smart connector?
[automerge]1588178699[/automerge]

Hmmm...yes this is what I was talking about last week? Seems to be draining quicker but I’ve not much to base it on as not had my iPad Pro itself long...

Anyone else experiencing either sound while charging issues or quicker battery drain?
I not sure if it’s an issue or not as i have 4% left one and the screen time is 8 hours, 14 mins. Is that bad? Not sure what the average is really. Doesn’t help them I’m using it for like 10 hours straight so maybe it isn’t so bad.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
I not sure if it’s an issue or not as i have 4% left one and the screen time is 8 hours, 14 mins. Is that bad? Not sure what the average is really. Doesn’t help them I’m using it for like 10 hours straight so maybe it isn’t so bad.

Hmm..yes, I guess it depends what you’re doing with it? If you were on it for 8 hours and doing a mix of video editing, watching video, playing music, etc etc on full brightness then I’d say that’s pretty good?

If you’ve only been using it to do emails, browsing etc then that’s quite short?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hmm..yes, I guess it depends what you’re doing with it? If you were on it for 8 hours and doing a mix of video editing, watching video, playing music, etc etc on full brightness then I’d say that’s pretty good?

If you’ve only been using it to do emails, browsing etc then that’s quite short?
About 3 hours, 30 mins of YouTube. 36 mins of zoom which I know takes a hit as had a conference call and a few hours on here. Yeah I know should be working but hey still got stuff done

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
About 3 hours, 30 mins of YouTube. 36 mins of zoom which I know takes a hit as had a conference call and a few hours on here. Yeah I know should be working but hey still got stuff done

Yeah, sounds like the YouTube and Zoom stuff has hit you hard.

Hard to tell if the battery is worse off or not though due to that.

What battery life were you getting before the Magic Keyboard?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah, sounds like the YouTube and Zoom stuff has hit you hard.

Hard to tell if the battery is worse off or not though due to that.

What battery life were you getting before the Magic Keyboard?
Was lasting 30% at least but usage wasn’t as strong as this. Didn’t help MK arrived then iPad update came up so hard to know if it’s that or not

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK

Just tested my keyboard and 2020 iPad Pro. No noise I can hear and charges fine.
Touch wood battery has been good.

I know not intensive work but I watched a full feature film and the battery dropped 5% and I’d put the brightness up.

Granted more was used when using LunaFusion.

Have had a few more reboots and lock ups and I do feel it is connected to the keyboard.

I found that since adding dBrand skin to the back of it when I close the keyboard to the bit less that right angles the iPad can disconnect from the keyboard as the pins get moved out a bit. If I press or jiggly it back a bit the keyboard lights up and we’re all dandy.

Not a massive issue but the iPad did a freeze and respring during my playing around testing this disconnection thing due to the skin.

My gut therefore feels that there is some bug within the software that can be triggered by the keyboard coming online.

In a way it makes sense as while it feels very simple and “magical” - a lot of hardware is suddenly being powered up and joining the OS as input devices.

A normal Mac or PC would get pretty huffy if I plugged and unplugged its keyboard and mouse repeatedly.

Sadly I don’t see 13.4.5 coming out that soon :(...

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Was lasting 30% at least but usage wasn’t as strong as this. Didn’t help MK arrived then iPad update came up so hard to know if it’s that or not

Which update are you referring to? Have I missed a recent one? I was sure mine was up to date and not showing any weird quirks or battery hit really more than before...
[automerge]1588190534[/automerge]
Just tested my keyboard and 2020 iPad Pro. No noise I can hear and charges fine.
Touch wood battery has been good.

I know not intensive work but I watched a full feature film and the battery dropped 5% and I’d put the brightness up.

Granted more was used when using LunaFusion.

Have had a few more reboots and lock ups and I do feel it is connected to the keyboard.

I found that since adding dBrand skin to the back of it when I close the keyboard to the bit less that right angles the iPad can disconnect from the keyboard as the pins get moved out a bit. If I press or jiggly it back a bit the keyboard lights up and we’re all dandy.

Not a massive issue but the iPad did a freeze and respring during my playing around testing this disconnection thing due to the skin.

My gut therefore feels that there is some bug within the software that can be triggered by the keyboard coming online.

In a way it makes sense as while it feels very simple and “magical” - a lot of hardware is suddenly being powered up and joining the OS as input devices.

A normal Mac or PC would get pretty huffy if I plugged and unplugged its keyboard and mouse repeatedly.

Sadly I don’t see 13.4.5 coming out that soon :(...

Again, I’m not sure where al these reboots and quirks are coming from? Has anyone else reported anything odd or off with the current firmware and the Magic Keyboard?

Touch wood, I’ve had no reboots or crashes as yet...so not sure!

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Again, I’m not sure where al these reboots and quirks are coming from? Has anyone else reported anything odd or off with the current firmware and the Magic Keyboard?

I’ll start to worry more if they continue after the next iPadOS release. But as my iPhone also did one respring as well I do suspect it is software.

I can’t say I’m looking forward to pushing into this kind of issue and having to do Apple Support’s obligatory factory reset and set up as new. But I’ll do it if this goes on after the next update.

Here’s hoping your charging noise goes away!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Update: My CoverBuddy (for 12.9” 2020 iPad Pro) is arriving ahead of schedule today!

Not holding out much hope that it will work with my setup and Magic Keyboard given what’s been said but I’ll see and report back!

@ahojfelixi

Reactions: ahojfelixi

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Which update are you referring to? Have I missed a recent one? I was sure mine was up to date and not showing any weird quirks or battery hit really more than before...
[automerge]1588190534[/automerge]

13.4.1..might not be why but who knows.

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Update: My CoverBuddy (for 12.9” 2020 iPad Pro) is arriving ahead of schedule today!

Not holding out much hope that it will work with my setup and Magic Keyboard given what’s been said but I’ll see and report back!

@ahojfelixi

Thats great. I’m crossing my fingers it ends up working some how but I can see why you’re not holding your breath.

I see very little movement on my wonderfully priced expedited shipment. It feels like it’s waiting for a paddle steamer.

On a separate note re the crashes I’ve been having saw in a YouTube video’s comments about iOS 13.5 beta that another person has been having the same freezing issues as me on their iPad. So it does seems to be more widely spread and a software bug in 13.4.1

2E0CA7BD-7F6C-4C76-B756-50670B3CE307.jpeg

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Thats great. I’m crossing my fingers it ends up working some how but I can see why you’re not holding your breath.

I see very little movement on my wonderfully priced expedited shipment. It feels like it’s waiting for a paddle steamer.

On a separate note re the crashes I’ve been having saw in a YouTube video’s comments about iOS 13.5 beta that another person has been having the same freezing issues as me on their iPad. So it does seems to be more widely spread and a software bug in 13.4.1

View attachment 910706

Odd! Is this only an issue with 2018 iPad Pro’s or also with 2020 models? My 2020 model seems fine...

Bittersweet Side Note:

I got an email today in response to me querying the 12.9” not fitting / working properly....stating that they’re “working on a 12.9” version which will work properly with the Magic Keyboard.”

Unfortunately, less than 30 mins after I received that email, I received (via FedEx) my ordered 12.9” 2020 CoverBuddy, which is now guaranteed NOT to work correctly with my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9”.

I understand that SwitchEasy themselves didn’t have a Magic Keyboard at hand to test the CoverBuddy with but at no point was I informed that there was a chance the 2020 version I paid good money for wouldn’t work with my set up.

So now I’m in the position of either keeping an imperfect product for my needs, waiting for the updated version to appear and pay AGAIN for that one (plus shipping) or try and haggle a return/exchange? Poor show... :(

• Sad

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Also, just re-reading my email from SwitchEasy, I thought I would post here as there is some slight differences in what was said, etc:

“Thank you for the email.

11” CoverBuddy is compatible with all Apple keyboards and folio. It is compatible with Smart Keyboard Folio/Magic Keyboard/Smart Folio.

12.9” CoverBuddy is compatible with Smart Keyboard Folio/Smart Folio, but when we use it with the Magic keyboard, it is not ok because there will be a gap when iPad Pro is closed with Magic Keyboard. If you need 12.9” model for Magic Keyboard only, we will have it soon, too. But that one will only work with the Magic Keyboard, not works with Smart Keyboard Folio/Smart Folio. We will have CoverBuddy 12.9” in 2 versions, 1 version is for the magic keyboard only and another version is the current version, which is compatible only with Smart Keyboard Folio/Smart Folio.

The reason for why 11” CoverBuddy can work with the Magic Keyboard but 12.9” can’t?
It’s due to Apple products original design and the dimension of closeness, IPad Pro 12.9” + magic keyboard, the closeness/fitness is even more than iPad Pro 11” + magic keyboard; so, 11” CoverBuddy is ok, but we have to modify 12.9” CoverBuddy even thinner to fit with IPad Pro 12.9” + magic keyboard.”

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Sorry for another update, but:

Just emailed SwitchEasy to ask what they can do for me regarding switching my current 12.9” 2020 CoverBuddy for the updated (again) 12.9” case. I’ll keep everyone posted on how that conversation goes.

Meanwhile, I have unboxed and tested the 2020 12.9” CoverBuddy I received today and paired it with my 12.9” 2020 iPad Pro.

To my surprise, it seems to fit, close, handle perfectly. The only instance it appears not to “fit” is when gravity brings in the “book” effect.

As in, when you hold the iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard combination by its “spine” or hinge end then it slightly opens like a book would if you carried it like that, due to the extra weight (I presume). I’ve seen other people posting about that so I presume that’s what they meant.

Anyway, for my needs, until a newer replacement model arrives, I feel this fits my day to day use. Desk use, then having it folded closed and transported in an internal laptop sleeve of a backpack, which would keep it closed nicely anyway.

When this combination is placed flat on a surface (either side of the iPad Pro face down) then the Magic Keyboard stays closed completely.

The ONLY instance that the case opens at all on its own is when held with the weight of the hinge/spine at the bottom when carrying. If you hold it by any other edge, the opening isn’t an issue.

So, therefore, I am confused as to what to do...

If anyone has any questions, ask away! @ahojfelixi @The Game 161

Also, here are some photos (apologies, I am isolating with my mother so it’s her decor!):

F51FA353-1838-4FF0-A181-C62BB5308E41.jpeg

A3244900-ECB5-42C8-AFD6-422763E88172.jpeg

6A69E216-BF31-4EC8-B116-297729DA0B51.jpeg

432E2155-98E5-4CF9-A81C-A0967DF77D36.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FC5D591-1AB3-4BCC-8575-68765278670E.jpeg
    2FC5D591-1AB3-4BCC-8575-68765278670E.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 42
  • B63BB315-219B-4737-B120-E8C4E53FD6C6.jpeg
    B63BB315-219B-4737-B120-E8C4E53FD6C6.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 446E7F56-298C-4AE4-A8E5-231EDC48BABC.jpeg
    446E7F56-298C-4AE4-A8E5-231EDC48BABC.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 5980277A-EFD7-45F0-9DD2-95A6DF6B6D57.jpeg
    5980277A-EFD7-45F0-9DD2-95A6DF6B6D57.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Anyone else got their CoverBuddy through? @ahojfelixi ?

(see above post)

Nope and the tracking on 4PX is static. I’m impatiently waiting and trying not to be too annoyed about this fantastic expedited shipping - hope it rocks up soon as I’d like to test out the 11” CoverBuddy to see if their claims that it works with the smaller iPad are true.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Nope and the tracking on 4PX is static. I’m impatiently waiting and trying not to be too annoyed about this fantastic expedited shipping - hope it rocks up soon as I’d like to test out the 11” CoverBuddy to see if their claims that it works with the smaller iPad are true.

@ahojfelixi Sorry to hear that it hasn’t arrived yet! :(

Well, I would say that considering how well my 12.9” works (and it’s supposed to NOT work) I’m sure your 11” will be great!

Let me know when you get it?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - Did you ever get your CoverBuddy yet?

Nope :(
Still says passed to airline in Hong Kong. Thanks for asking though @SimonMScott !

They said the delays are covid related but now I feel a bit like how can I prove if they shipped me via expedited.

On a side note one of my keyboard’s keys the “O” has become a bit sticky / unresponsive. I’ve been babying this thing and keeping it supper clean, but yesterday I noticed it didn’t feel a clicky as the rest.

I’ve tried to flush out anything that could be under neath it, but sadly it could be a faulty switch.

It’s still 90% usable for typing but what with the butterfly keyboard fiasco and how I’ve only had this keyboard for a few weeks, it doesn’t make me feel super encouraged. I’ll be monitoring it and of course flag with Apple if it gets worse or happens with other keys.

Plan to buy some compressed air just as a precaution.

This may simply be my bad luck, but I still wanted to mention it now so you could watch for your keyboard and its keys. Happily I don’t think Apple would kick up much of a fuss about supporting customers on this.

I just don’t feel like going through the hassle of returning it now etc.

Crossing my fingers it self resolves fingers crossed!

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.