Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Already packed it up and returned. Typing was better but still wouldn’t use this over a Mac. An iPad is just a mess with the basics such as multitasking. Toy apps. Etc. I understand some people like this and can be fanatic about it but those are the ones I usually have to fire.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Already packed it up and returned. Typing was better but still wouldn’t use this over a Mac. An iPad is just a mess with the basics such as multitasking. Toy apps. Etc. I understand some people like this and can be fanatic about it but those are the ones I usually have to fire.
Not liking something is fine. Saying that others, who aren't in the same situation as you are, should be fired for liking it is rude AF.

For me, I have both and use whichever one works the best for the application. I guess I should be fired for that, huh?

Sean

Reactions: ascender

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not liking something is fine. Saying that others, who aren't in the same situation as you are, should be fired for liking it is rude AF.

For me, I have both and use whichever one works the best for the application. I guess I should be fired for that, huh?

Sean

Try to relax. I never hired you lol. Geez. I’m sure there’s other work places that will admire your iPad skills.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Sean
It’s certainly laughable sometimes what people consider real work as....

use what works for you but you can’t really compare different usage cases and different businesses. For me the mac has awful apps and awful multitasking compared to the iPad so for me the iPad is a more complete device than a MacBook ever will be for my usage.

At some point the iPad will get these so called pro apps soon enough however for some they will always use laptop which is fine if that’s what works for them.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Nope nothing as yet. I’ll post when it does as it should be expedited so hopefully be able to test it soon.

:)

Very much enjoying the device. Main feeling right now is that this Keyboard is what has completed the iPad Pro experience and eco system.

It’s crazy but typing on this on the 11” screen is more attractive than doing typing on my 16“ MacBook Pro. Both keyboards are great. But to me the mini-ness of the Magic Keyboard case and the much smaller form factor makes this just a pick up, open and type kind of experience.

Have had one more respring of the iPadOS when connected to keyboard. Odd.

Also had LumaFusion hang up / just not play any video in the timeline or previews. Force quit and nothing. Had to reboot the iPad and then it started working.

The worrier in me starts to fear doggy RAM chips etc, but all being well this is a LumaFusion bug or iPadOS.

Roll on the next iPadOS release and I’m super excited for what iPadOS will bring as I suspect it will be for my the iPad Pro but also how the Magic Keyboard integrates. Hope we get a dedicted settings for Trackpad and Keyboard in the main Settings list like we now have for the Apple Pencil.

Ramble over - but I’ll chime in here from time to time on my experiences etc.

Battery seems ok, a bit less but I feel my usage has stablised and all‘s well :)

Awesome! Sounds good. Looking forward to mine shipping soon too! I went for the Hyperdrive hub too so that should be arriving around the same time and that’ll be my set up complete!

I found the same with the battery...seems to have stabilised now too.

That’s still a bit worrying about your random crashes etc. What kind of stress/load do you put Lumafusion under normally? I’ve not tried any major project on it yet, so interested (and hoping) in it crashing/not crashing!

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Awesome! Sounds good. Looking forward to mine shipping soon too! I went for the Hyperdrive hub too so that should be arriving around the same time and that’ll be my set up complete!

I found the same with the battery...seems to have stabilised now too.

That’s still a bit worrying about your random crashes etc. What kind of stress/load do you put Lumafusion under normally? I’ve not tried any major project on it yet, so interested (and hoping) in it crashing/not crashing!
Re LumaFusion feels like a big quirk with it. I’ve found the full timeline play bar can disappear if I’ve done an edit that is either a bit awkward or perhaps something that doesn’t fully compute.

99% of the time I must say it is a dream to use. And now we’ve the track pad and keyboard combined this is a lovely little editing set up.

On the crashing issue think my iPad did it recently as on waking it up asked for my passcode starting it was needed after a reboot.

I’m now 100% is it 13.4.1 for both iOS and iPadOS as my iPhone also did a sudden respring.

My gut is that theres something up with RAM management / some kind of memory issue.

Roll on iOS 13.4.2/5!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Re LumaFusion feels like a big quirk with it. I’ve found the full timeline play bar can disappear if I’ve done an edit that is either a bit awkward or perhaps something that doesn’t fully compute.

99% of the time I must say it is a dream to use. And now we’ve the track pad and keyboard combined this is a lovely little editing set up.

On the crashing issue think my iPad did it recently as on waking it up asked for my passcode starting it was needed after a reboot.

I’m now 100% is it 13.4.1 for both iOS and iPadOS as my iPhone also did a sudden respring.

My gut is that theres something up with RAM management / some kind of memory issue.

Roll on iOS 13.4.2/5!

Yeah I do like Lumafusion. I do wonder how it will survive/adapt though if Apple does take the plunge and port over FCPX (or equivalent) though? Fingers crossed, but sometimes competition sometimes kills or rallies other non-Apple apps!

Still very odd about your crashes. I’ve used both iPad Pro and my iPhone on the latest updates and not experienced any crashes as yet! Is it a common issue?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Yeah I do like Lumafusion. I do wonder how it will survive/adapt though if Apple does take the plunge and port over FCPX (or equivalent) though? Fingers crossed, but sometimes competition sometimes kills or rallies other non-Apple apps!

Still very odd about your crashes. I’ve used both iPad Pro and my iPhone on the latest updates and not experienced any crashes as yet! Is it a common issue?

Hey @SimonMScott Yes, I am hoping it is just a LumaFusion issue. Had a full iPad lock up today, when LumaFusion crashed. It was showing the spinning load icon for ages and I was wondering how long it would take before it finally allow me to properly reboot. May go through Apple Support‘s online diagnostics in case it is something dodgy with my unit’s ram!

In case those on here an interested this is my Magic Keyboard “thoughts” video - my first ever tech upload to YouTube like this. Of course -I and the video- need a lot of work to get better at what I’m communicating etc - but I was close to jacking the thing in several times during my editing today, so ultimately it’s exported and is about 70% as I’d planned.

Feedback welcome :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonMScott

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Hey @SimonMScott Yes, I am hoping it is just a LumaFusion issue. Had a full iPad lock up today, when LumaFusion crashed. It was showing the spinning load icon for ages and I was wondering how long it would take before it finally allow me to properly reboot. May go through Apple Support‘s online diagnostics in case it is something dodgy with my unit’s ram!

In case those on here an interested this is my Magic Keyboard “thoughts” video - my first ever tech upload to YouTube like this. Of course -I and the video- need a lot of work to get better at what I’m communicating etc - but I was close to jacking the thing in several times during my editing today, so ultimately it’s exported and is about 70% as I’d planned.

Feedback welcome :)

Hi @ahojfelixi! I hope you’ve had a great weekend. Mini-review is great and awesome cameos from your cat! Well done.

Shame that you’re still having so many issues with the ram etc. Remind me again, is it the 2020 iPad you have or 2018? I’m just trying to work out/hope that it’s not an issue with the 2020 models and RAM management. I couldn’t find anyone else with this type of issue on the Lumafusion forums or on an extensive google search so hopefully you get it sorted. Keeps us posted?

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
@ahojfelixi - CoverBuddy update!

I just got an email through stating my CoverBuddy has been shipped via FedEx and will be here (estimated) by Thursday this week! Shipping direct from China.

Did you get any update?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - CoverBuddy update!

I just got an email through stating my CoverBuddy has been shipped via FedEx and will be here (estimated) by Thursday this week! Shipping direct from China.

Did you get any update?
Thanks for the update. That’s annoying as I’ve heard nothing.
I’ve sent a chaser email now :(
Keep us posted on its progress and how it fits when you do get it :)

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Thanks for the update. That’s annoying as I’ve heard nothing.
I’ve sent a chaser email now :(
Keep us posted on its progress and how it fits when you do get it :)

@ahojfelixi - Weird! As I ordered mine after yours? Maybe you’ll get something through today?

Will do! Looking forward to testing it out!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Bit odd. They’ve now given me a tracking number with 4PX. No idea what kind of service that is. Oh well!

Hoping it fits well otherwise will be a waste of £!

Oh! Weird. Never heard of 4PX? Was that after you chasing them up or just randomly shipped? Odd they use so many different couriers.

Yeah, know what you mean! Hoping it works out!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
@ahojfelixi - As an update...my CoverBuddy tracking via FedEx has gone around various parts of China and then it went to Japan (?!) where it’s been sat for a day...is this normal? I know there’s no “normal” at the moment understandably though!

How’s your 4PX one doing?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - As an update...my CoverBuddy tracking via FedEx has gone around various parts of China and then it went to Japan (?!) where it’s been sat for a day...is this normal? I know there’s no “normal” at the moment understandably though!

How’s your 4PX one doing?

Well it is showing up on their tracking. And the person on the email finally advised me that expedited shipping (wot I paid for) would be 3-6 business days.

I had to also press them for having CC’d all the emails to me to another email address with just my surname at the same email provider as me. I was puzzled and a bit concerned as this shouldn’t be happening in case that email exists.

Odd but I think we’ll get it somewhen.

Hoping it wasn’t an expensive mistake as if it doesn’t feel safely I’ll likely prefer the without case Apple set up.

While I don’t like the lose pencil I must say there’s something reassuringly solid about how the keyboard folds up.

Do you think you’ll get Apple Care if you haven’t already?

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Well it is showing up on their tracking. And the person on the email finally advised me that expedited shipping (wot I paid for) would be 3-6 business days.

I had to also press them for having CC’d all the emails to me to another email address with just my surname at the same email provider as me. I was puzzled and a bit concerned as this shouldn’t be happening in case that email exists.

Odd but I think we’ll get it somewhen.

Hoping it wasn’t an expensive mistake as if it doesn’t feel safely I’ll likely prefer the without case Apple set up.

While I don’t like the lose pencil I must say there’s something reassuringly solid about how the keyboard folds up.

Do you think you’ll get Apple Care if you haven’t already?

@ahojfelixi - Sounds good! At least it’s showing up on tracking like you say. Where is/has it been? Just found it odd mine is bouncing all around China and Japan.

Hmmm...yeah I know what you mean. I think it’ll still be worth it! There’s times when all I want to take with me (even around the house) is the “naked” iPad Pro so I think the CoverBuddy will definitely help with that side of things.

If it also works (even semi) flawlessly with the Magic Keyboard case, then that’s a definite bonus! It did seem to work ok with that guys original video he posted?

Not taken out AppleCare yet for my iPad Pro and keyboard but I’m tempted. It is, however, on my list of “Can I really justify the extra cost of it just now given how safe and “at home” my surroundings are for the foreseeable future?

You?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - Sounds good! At least it’s showing up on tracking like you say. Where is/has it been? Just found it odd mine is bouncing all around China and Japan.

Hmmm...yeah I know what you mean. I think it’ll still be worth it! There’s times when all I want to take with me (even around the house) is the “naked” iPad Pro so I think the CoverBuddy will definitely help with that side of things.

If it also works (even semi) flawlessly with the Magic Keyboard case, then that’s a definite bonus! It did seem to work ok with that guys original video he posted?

Not taken out AppleCare yet for my iPad Pro and keyboard but I’m tempted. It is, however, on my list of “Can I really justify the extra cost of it just now given how safe and “at home” my surroundings are for the foreseeable future?

You?

Tempted as well, but I do feel it is overkill. I‘ve never taken AppleCare out on my iPhones etc, as I am generally careful and don’t drop them.

Did get it for my MacBook Pro but that felt like a better deal at 3 years coverage - and that kind of device is more ££ and I feel more likely that I wind up knocking a coffee over it or some such mishap.

I should be sensible and call it a day for helping fill Apple’s coffers :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

You?
Know what you mean about apple care. Although at £129 for the iPad/magic keyboard and Apple Pencil i think it includes that as well isn‘t too bad.

i have never took out apple care before. If i choose to get a non SS Apple Watch this year i may take out apple care given non SS models can be prone to scratches e.t.c.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Tempted as well, but I do feel it is overkill. I‘ve never taken AppleCare out on my iPhones etc, as I am generally careful and don’t drop them.

Did get it for my MacBook Pro but that felt like a better deal at 3 years coverage - and that kind of device is more ££ and I feel more likely that I wind up knocking a coffee over it or some such mishap.

I should be sensible and call it a day for helping fill Apple’s coffers :)

@ahojfelixi - Haha totally agree!

Although once you add up the cost of a new iPad Pro plus Magic Keyboard and the fact we’re using them in the same “perilous” conditions we use/used our laptops then it does start to make sense to get it?

I’ll maybe look into the full cost and make a decision...

Where in the world is your CoverBuddy currently?
[automerge]1588069460[/automerge]
Know what you mean about apple care. Although at £129 for the iPad/magic keyboard and Apple Pencil i think it includes that as well isn‘t too bad.

i have never took out apple care before. If i choose to get a non SS Apple Watch this year i may take out apple care given non SS models can be prone to scratches e.t.c.

Hmmm this is true! Forgot about the Apple Pencil being included also!

I have a SS Apple Watch without AppleCare currently and you’re right, I do constantly have mini heart attacks when I think I’ve scratched or almost scratched it! Ha. I just try to be as careful as I can be though!

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@SimonMScott Did you see this thread re CoverBuddy?

Sadly they mostly sound like it doesn’t really Close well with the Magic Keyboard :-( But one says it’s ok. Oh well I am already expecting to be disappointed and I doubt there’s any real way to return this
[automerge]1588086118[/automerge]
This article is interesting ?

“As a general tip, you can always use the system-wide ⌘. (Command-period) keyboard shortcut on iPadOS to replicate the functionality of a physical ESC key.”

& sadly:

“The CoverBuddy case fits, but the Magic Keyboard doesn’t close. I tested the Magic Keyboard with my existing SwitchEasy CoverBuddy case for the 2018 iPad Pro and, while the case fits and can be attached to the Magic Keyboard, it prevents the keyboard from staying attached to the iPad when closed. I hope SwitchEasy will come up with a Magic Keyboard-compatible design soon.”

Last edited:

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Ok now to my eye this looks a tad bit more encouraging. Taken from that thread linked above.
Just FYI

It’s still too hard to know how it will in fact feel to use.

If I feel the hinge area is putting too much pressure on the iPad and screen at that point due to thickness and or the screen doesn’t close I don’t think I’ll be using it.

?

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
@ahojfelixi - Nice find! I didn't know that there was an actual thread on this subject!

Hmmm...yes, seems to be some mixed reports on there? All I can think is either:

- There are manufacturing inconsistencies in the product?
- The 2020 (or at least since late 2019 version) perhaps is a better fit and works better with the Magic Keyboard?

It does seem to be around 70% negative/doesn't fit and 30% hopeful/does fit so who knows!? Like you say we'll have to wait and see what happens when ours arrive!

Do you have a date for yours arriving? Mine is currently in Germany and still on track for delivery this Thursday so not long! :)

There's 2 things I'm concerned about other than the fit:

1) How easy it is to get your fingers into the volume and power buttons?
2) That the USB-C connector is made quite recessed by this case so it may not play well with hubs or some cables?

There's 1 extra plus I figured out though:

- It should definitely help to easy the opening of the iPad Pro when the Magic Keyboard is attached as you can open it by grabbing the Pencil holder? :)

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - Nice find! I didn't know that there was an actual thread on this subject!

Hmmm...yes, seems to be some mixed reports on there? All I can think is either:

- There are manufacturing inconsistencies in the product?
- The 2020 (or at least since late 2019 version) perhaps is a better fit and works better with the Magic Keyboard?

It does seem to be around 70% negative/doesn't fit and 30% hopeful/does fit so who knows!? Like you say we'll have to wait and see what happens when ours arrive!

Do you have a date for yours arriving? Mine is currently in Germany and still on track for delivery this Thursday so not long! :)

There's 2 things I'm concerned about other than the fit:

1) How easy it is to get your fingers into the volume and power buttons?
2) That the USB-C connector is made quite recessed by this case so it may not play well with hubs or some cables?

There's 1 extra plus I figured out though:

- It should definitely help to easy the opening of the iPad Pro when the Magic Keyboard is attached as you can open it by grabbing the Pencil holder? :)
Yep, all very good points. I am not so lucky, as don’t see any real movement for my 4PX delivery. Did you pay for expedited shipping? I’m not too worried overall but it is a bit annoying they don’t ship to the UK with a consistent provider.

Still I can see it has been measured in China. Hope the quoted 3-6 days is on point, and then I can see if it is a disappointing fit or just what the iPad doctor ordered ... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.