Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
the backlighting is spot on for my needs.

but dang. a dedicated Siri key would be cool.

is there a special combo that will bring her up by chance?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Reactions: SimonMScott

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Has anyone else notice the iPad restart itself while in the keyboard case? Yesterday I had the iPad ask for its passcode like after a reboot, and I was a bit puzzled. But just now it was sitting in front of me, on the Magic Keyboard - open but screen had gone dark. And then the white Apple Logo appears and it had clearly decided to reboot.

I’ve had the iPad a few weeks and this hasn’t happened before, so I can only really presume it is the new keyboard some how interfering with things - or of course a buggy app in RAM I guess ??

Be curious to see if others have this too ?

Last edited:

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
I don’t normally take out apple care but the price won’t be high and if for some reason it does get damaged or comes apart you will be ok but i guess they won’t replace it for just normal wear and tear marks.

Yeah I don’t either normally but was tempted as it’s a new iPad and covering the case too would bf great in case both get stolen/damaged etc maybe?
[automerge]1587634657[/automerge]
Has anyone else notice the iPad restart itself while in the keyboard case? Yesterday I had the iPad ask for its passcode like after a reboot, and I was a bit puzzled. But just now it was sitting in front of me, on the Magic Keyboard - open but screen had gone dark. And then the white Apple Logo appears and it had clearly decided to reboot.

I’ve had the iPad a few weeks and this hasn’t happened before, so I can only really presume it is the new keyboard some how interfering with things - or of course a buggy app in RAM I guess ??

Be curious to see if others have this too ?

That’s slightly worrying! :-/ Is your iPad Pro a new, 2020 model or older model?

Mine is the 2020 model and not had any full restarts but I’ve noticed it’s doing that RAM management bug thing I used to have on my iPhone where if you switch between apps or tabs in Safari (for example) that it fully reloads/white screens them rather than them being active ready to go?

Is it doing it often with you?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Yeah I don’t either normally but was tempted as it’s a new iPad and covering the case too would bf great in case both get stolen/damaged etc maybe?
[automerge]1587634657[/automerge]

That’s slightly worrying! :-/ Is your iPad Pro a new, 2020 model or older model?

Mine is the 2020 model and not had any full restarts but I’ve noticed it’s doing that RAM management bug thing I used to have on my iPhone where if you switch between apps or tabs in Safari (for example) that it fully reloads/white screens them rather than them being active ready to go?

Is it doing it often with you?

It’s a 2020 iPad and I got it around 2 weeks back I think. No it’s only done it when in this case AFAIK.

I’ll monitor it. Did a hard reset now so perhaps that will nip it in the bud. I wonder if the keyboard has any build in firmware that gets updated etc - like the pencil/AirPods?...

Anyway, my Paperlike just arrived - and I love it, the feel is great and it looks nice to my eye. Best bit about it though is the fact that I no longer get an oily screen.

I should however mention that I mucked up the first install even though I was watching the video and being super careful. The second screen protector was touch and go and I was almost about to jack it in and call it a wasted £30, but happily I was able to remove a spec of dust from an edge and it’s no on there looking OK. Not 100% perfect, but I’m able to live with a little imperfection.

So I think for this product the hype is about right. Will have to see how it ages etc.

Also, are all iPad Pro videos from the main stream YouTubers sponsored by Paperlike? I guess their Marketing budget is huge - it always makes me laugh when a see another Paperlike sponsored vid. But then again the subliminal messages must have worked as I went a bought one, didn’t I? ;)

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
It’s a 2020 iPad and I got it around 2 weeks back I think. No it’s only done it when in this case AFAIK.

I’ll monitor it. Did a hard reset now so perhaps that will nip it in the bud. I wonder if the keyboard has any build in firmware that gets updated etc - like the pencil/AirPods?...

Anyway, my Paperlike just arrived - and I love it, the feel is great and it looks nice to my eye. Best bit about it though is the fact that I no longer get an oily screen.

I should however mention that I mucked up the first install even though I was watching the video and being super careful. The second screen protector was touch and go and I was almost about to jack it in and call it a wasted £30, but happily I was able to remove a spec of dust from an edge and it’s no on there looking OK. Not 100% perfect, but I’m able to live with a little imperfection.

So I think for this product the hype is about right. Will have to see how it ages etc.

Also, are all iPad Pro videos from the main stream YouTubers sponsored by Paperlike? I guess their Marketing budget is huge - it always makes me laugh when a see another Paperlike sponsored vid. But then again the subliminal messages must have worked as I went a bought one, didn’t I? ;)

Hmmm...yes, Apple hasn't really said anything about it containing firmware etc? So tricky to know if it's the keyboard itself or how the iPad is reacting to it? Mine still seems to be draining the battery quite a bit faster so I'm monitoring like you.

Great you managed to get your Paperlike! Was that direct from them or a 3rd party? Yeah I'm torn about whether to get one or not as I hate the smudges but also seems like a LOT of trouble to get it on there? Sounds like you had issues applying it too. Once it's on there is that it? Or can you remove it again? Just wondering if you have to replace it every so often or if it "wears out"?

Also, where does it ship from? I'm wondering how long it would take to get one if I ordered...

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Hmmm...yes, Apple hasn't really said anything about it containing firmware etc? So tricky to know if it's the keyboard itself or how the iPad is reacting to it? Mine still seems to be draining the battery quite a bit faster so I'm monitoring like you.

Great you managed to get your Paperlike! Was that direct from them or a 3rd party? Yeah I'm torn about whether to get one or not as I hate the smudges but also seems like a LOT of trouble to get it on there? Sounds like you had issues applying it too. Once it's on there is that it? Or can you remove it again? Just wondering if you have to replace it every so often or if it "wears out"?

Also, where does it ship from? I'm wondering how long it would take to get one if I ordered...

Yes battery does seem to be a bit more on a drain. I suspect we’ll get another iOS update that may sort any behind the scenes stuff.

I’d say go with Paperlike. If I had nailed it the first time I’d be happy to have a back up screen protector ready if I need it.

By messing up my first install I lost effectively £15 if you see each coating that much.

I suspect it will last a while.

As for the install I watched the video but didn’t read the full shipping note letter which suggested installing it in a bathroom after a hot shower.

Wished the video had mentioned that. Hey ho. Basically you have to be super aware and sure you’re in a dust free area. I was careful but as soon as things started to go wrong its hard not to get panicked and of course make a dog’s breakfast out of it as a result.

I think you can find matte screen protectors for the iPad that are cheaper than Paperlike that would work 95% as well. But for me as I hated the shining glass screen I felt it was worth it overall, notwithstanding the annoying fact that I’ve bought into this Paperlike hype! :)

tl;dr - looks good when/if you can install, should last a while, backup protector if you’re calmer than me at installs, and it comes off if you need to take it off easily!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Yes battery does seem to be a bit more on a drain. I suspect we’ll get another iOS update that may sort any behind the scenes stuff.

I’d say go with Paperlike. If I had nailed it the first time I’d be happy to have a back up screen protector ready if I need it.

By messing up my first install I lost effectively £15 if you see each coating that much.

I suspect it will last a while.

As for the install I watched the video but didn’t read the full shipping note letter which suggested installing it in a bathroom after a hot shower.

Wished the video had mentioned that. Hey ho. Basically you have to be super aware and sure you’re in a dust free area. I was careful but as soon as things started to go wrong its hard not to get panicked and of course make a dog’s breakfast out of it as a result.

I think you can find matte screen protectors for the iPad that are cheaper than Paperlike that would work 95% as well. But for me as I hated the shining glass screen I felt it was worth it overall, notwithstanding the annoying fact that I’ve bought into this Paperlike hype! :)

tl;dr - looks good when/if you can install, should last a while, backup protector if you’re calmer than me at installs, and it comes off if you need to take it off easily!

Interesting you mention the battery drain also...I thought I was the only one! I know keyboard cases, etc all drain battery but it does seem to drain it more. Perhaps all of this will be optimised or fixed with firmware or IOS updates though as you say. I was half expecting them to release a minimal IOS update / patch saying "Minor bug fixes and compatibility with new iPad Magic Keyboard" when it was released...

Sounds good about the Paperlike. As you say, every one seems to rave about them and they do seem to be good for drawing/note taking. I definitely hate all the smudges and stuff that appear on the screen.

I'll maybe order when supplies are less constrained? How long did yours take to arrive?

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Interesting you mention the battery drain also...I thought I was the only one! I know keyboard cases, etc all drain battery but it does seem to drain it more. Perhaps all of this will be optimised or fixed with firmware or IOS updates though as you say. I was half expecting them to release a minimal IOS update / patch saying "Minor bug fixes and compatibility with new iPad Magic Keyboard" when it was released...

Sounds good about the Paperlike. As you say, every one seems to rave about them and they do seem to be good for drawing/note taking. I definitely hate all the smudges and stuff that appear on the screen.

I'll maybe order when supplies are less constrained? How long did yours take to arrive?

Ordered directly from them and it was a good few weeks, but that was COVID issues. Once it shipped from Germany it arrives a few days later.

Typing this message now looking at the screen through the Paperlike I am liking it even more. I really wish Apple sold their iPads as Matte or with that screen option.

32F9AAC7-CCF7-4674-8864-2F3655891626.jpeg

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Ordered directly from them and it was a good few weeks, but that was COVID issues. Once it shipped from Germany it arrives a few days later.

Typing this message now looking at the screen through the Paperlike I am liking it even more. I really wish Apple sold their iPads as Matte or with that screen option.

View attachment 908528

Cool! I might try ordering from their site then. Not in a huge rush! Does it come with anything to help clean your screen before applying? Mine is smudge-city!

Looks really nice on though! I totally agree about the matte screen statement though too...

CoverBuddy Sidenote:

Also just got a reply from someone on YouTube saying they have the keyboard and CoverBuddy and they work fine. Any update from anyone who has this combo?

Reactions: ahojfelixi

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Hey!

Anyone still on this thread?

How’s everyone getting on with their new keyboard cases?

Mine came yesterday, and I love it. For me, it is perfect.

I’ve noticed it is easier to trigger the virtual home swipe from the bottom because of the floating design. It makes me wonder if that’s what started them down that path originally.

It is a lovely piece of kit.

Sean

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hey!

Anyone still on this thread?

How’s everyone getting on with their new keyboard cases?
Still great typing experience and then backlit auto brightness i actually feel is about right for the lighting I’m in.

Anybody use an Apple Pencil? I’ve noticed a bit more drain when it is on charging than without. Saying that my wife has took the pencil now so i can only use it when she’s not using it ha.

Not sure if i need it though now with built in trackpad. It’s good every now and then though

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Still great typing experience and then backlit auto brightness i actually feel is about right for the lighting I’m in.

Anybody use an Apple Pencil? I’ve noticed a bit more drain when it is on charging than without. Saying that my wife has took the pencil now so i can only use it when she’s not using it ha.

Not sure if i need it though now with built in trackpad. It’s good every now and then though

Yeah, I've just left auto brightness on for now, seems to work for me. I also like how the backlighting shuts off completely if you don't touch it for a while too.

I use the Apple Pencil! I tend to find if I leave it attached to the side for charging it drains a tiny bit, but only like 1-2% every couple of hours. Are you finding it drains more?

I use the trackpad a LOT when I have it attached to the iPad...saves me using my fingers or pencil to navigate.
[automerge]1587729234[/automerge]
@trashmac - Have you had any more time to check out the issues you were having with the CoverBuddy? Interested to hear more thoughts on that as I'm still waiting on mine. Thanks! :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah, I've just left auto brightness on for now, seems to work for me. I also like how the backlighting shuts off completely if you don't touch it for a while too.

I use the Apple Pencil! I tend to find if I leave it attached to the side for charging it drains a tiny bit, but only like 1-2% every couple of hours. Are you finding it drains more?

I use the trackpad a LOT when I have it attached to the iPad...saves me using my fingers or pencil to navigate.
[automerge]1587729234[/automerge]
@trashmac - Have you had any more time to check out the issues you were having with the CoverBuddy? Interested to hear more thoughts on that as I'm still waiting on mine. Thanks! :)
Yeah in my experience it does drain a bit more than normal.

If i buy an Apple Pencil which i will need to given wife won’t give me it back i could buy this so i don’t lose it easily

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
My 12.9 inch Magic Keyboard came yesterday and I absolutely love it. The trackpad is much more responsive than the Magic Mouse 2 I purchased a month ago to use with my IPP and iPad OS 13.4–presumably because the MM2 is subject to BT lag. It’s taking me a while to get the hang of all the gestures it supports but that’s not a negative.

The weight simply is not an issue for me. This keyboard is substantial and feels durable. It works well for me sitting on the couch with my feet on the coffee table. I do wish there were a few degrees more backward tilt available but the current range of motion suffices just fine. Flipping the keyboard over to write or draw on the screen works fine for me. I haven’t felt the need to remove the IPP from the keyboard to write short notes, but appreciate the fact that I can easily do so should I need to take notes for a protracted period of time (e.g. in a meeting).

I’ve had a couple of times when I wished I had an ESC key (haven’t yet tried mapping the Globe or Ctrl keys to issue ESC) but I have not missed function keys whatsoever. Likewise I have not felt a need to go into settings to change the brightness of the key backlight. And I really appreciate that there is now a light to let me know when the Caps Lock is engaged; the lack of than on the SKF was infuriating.

Overall, this is a phenomenal piece of hardware, well worth the price. It really enhances my appreciation for my iPad Pro, which is saying something since I already loved the IPP. It’s just that much better with the addition of the MK.

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi - Have you had any update at all on your CoverBuddy shipping yet? I was told mine would ship today (Friday) but not heard anything...

Nope nothing as yet. I’ll post when it does as it should be expedited so hopefully be able to test it soon.

:)

Very much enjoying the device. Main feeling right now is that this Keyboard is what has completed the iPad Pro experience and eco system.

It’s crazy but typing on this on the 11” screen is more attractive than doing typing on my 16“ MacBook Pro. Both keyboards are great. But to me the mini-ness of the Magic Keyboard case and the much smaller form factor makes this just a pick up, open and type kind of experience.

Have had one more respring of the iPadOS when connected to keyboard. Odd.

Also had LumaFusion hang up / just not play any video in the timeline or previews. Force quit and nothing. Had to reboot the iPad and then it started working.

The worrier in me starts to fear doggy RAM chips etc, but all being well this is a LumaFusion bug or iPadOS.

Roll on the next iPadOS release and I’m super excited for what iPadOS will bring as I suspect it will be for my the iPad Pro but also how the Magic Keyboard integrates. Hope we get a dedicted settings for Trackpad and Keyboard in the main Settings list like we now have for the Apple Pencil.

Ramble over - but I’ll chime in here from time to time on my experiences etc.

Battery seems ok, a bit less but I feel my usage has stablised and all‘s well :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.