New MBP, but now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kissa1981, Jan 11, 2011.

  1. kissa1981 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Hi everyone,

    I want to get a new MBP 15' or 17', but i dont know if it is the right time now. I am working a lot with Final Cut Pro and soon a lot with HD movies too. But is the actual Macbook Pro now the right one for that or should i wait a few more days, weeks or months?

    Thx
     
  2. ozreth macrumors 65816

    ozreth

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #2
    Theres supposed to be some definite new this month, if not a new one by feb.
     
  3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

    CosmoPilot

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2010
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #3
    I think you'll be fine now. However, some new hardware upgrades will probably be announced in 2-3 months.

    Likely the best response you'll get here, is this: If you need it now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. Only you can answer this question. Will the models you've listed handle FCP and HD Video editing? Yes.
     
  4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #4
    If you need it now... go for it.

    If not there will always be the latest and greatest.
     
  5. Jasoco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    #5
    I'd say wait a few weeks. Isn't there an Apple keynote coming up later this month? The Pro's are due for an update as the last one was in April of last year. The one I have now.
     
  6. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #7
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Wait! They will upgrade and you will be kicking your self.
     
  7. kissa1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I can wait maybe till end of feb. But is there certain date, when an upgrade will come?
     
  8. ZenErik macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #9
    It'll come when it comes. I would say don't bother waiting. You're looking at 15" or 17". Both of which have very nice current gen processors, unlike the 13".
     
  9. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #10
    They have old gen CPUs, with old architecture (the current is Sandy Bridge)
     
  10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

    MagicBoy

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #11
    Sandy Bridge components only started shipping a couple of days ago. They're a bit quicker per clock cycle but it's no great shakes.

    I'd still happily buy a current i5/i7 MBP at the current time.
     
  11. mwhq macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #12
    This SB nonsense shows how little people know. The Current i5/i7 processors are a massive step up in grade from the intel C2D processors, the next gen SB will be an improvement but to justify waiting 2/3 months? certainly not. If you believe that I want a list of significant improvements that you can tell me SB will bring at this moment in time.

    My advice to the original poster is, buy now...I would. Unless Apple promise a black MBP in the next revamp that is the only reason I would wait.

    I have the mid 2010 i5 MPB and it's the first one I can safely say it will perform outstandingly for 4-5 years. with the old C2D processors, it was more like 2-3 years.

    This debate is far too frequent, walk yourself into Apple and buy one now.
     
  12. croooow macrumors 65816

    croooow

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    #13
    :apple:Buy today before they run out!
     
  13. ajdb9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    #14
    Surely, the reason most people are waiting isn't "Oooh Sandy Bridge is gonna be so much quicker", but that with an upgrade - regardless of Sandy Bridge or not - the general specs will be updated relative to it's pricing (now all virtually a year out of date)? I know that's why I'm waiting :cool:
    Xander
     
  14. alt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Location:
    Bend, Oregon
  15. scrapperx, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

    scrapperx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #16
    Buy

    If Apple upgrades the CPU to Sandy Bridge - The advantage of Sandy bridge is it will have a graphics chip on board to save on power consumption and probably have quad core on the higher end processors.

    Any i series processor or even C2D processor are fast enough and can handle video editing (Final cut, adobe premier) but transfer rates to hard drives are to be desired because they are such large files. Even with a 7200rpm hard drive could be painful for video editing. unless apple releases a 10,000 rpm hd for a laptop that doesn't sound like a jet taking off and not tax your battery or get a 500 gb SSD cheaper than $1500 all within the next five month which I doubt very much. Sandy Bridge isnt going to make your life easier unless you do a lot of gaming.

    USB 3.0 - Faster transfer rate but not many USB 3.0 devices out there right now. my Sony Vaio has 3.0 and I haven't bought a USB 3.0 device because right now they are really expensive right now.

    I was in the same boat you are in but I went ahead and bought a 15" anti-glare screen MBP i7 640m 2.8ghz, 500gb 5400 rpm hd, 4 gb ram (upgraded to 8 gb myself because it's way cheaper) and it screams! I also use adobe premiere, photoshop, illustrator and soundbooth with no problems at all. This will last a good 3+ years before the really big jump in processing and graphics power, also SSD hard drives will be cheaper by then. I don't believe buying one now would hurt you or that you would regret it. If you buy the higher end i7 it will be enough.
     
  16. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #17
    scrapperx, I just saw your Geekbench scores on the Geekbench results browser. You have a 15" 2.8GHz i7 MacBook Pro, right?

    EDIT: I just read your whole post above, indeed you do. IT WAS YOUR Geekbench score I did see. 6643.

    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/339209
     
  17. kamil.amersi macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #18
    this is the biggest piece of rubish i have heard ever. why on earth wouldnt you wait for SB...the current one is SO last season!
     
  18. scrapperx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #19
    WardC, that was my geekbench score of 6643. I think apple really does a job of system integration (choosing all the right parts) to be powerful but yet efficient. I have other PC laptops that are powerful but the battery wouldn't last 2 hrs just surfing the Internet. What's the purpose of a laptop if it needs to be tied to a outlet all the time, you might as well get a powerful desktop they are cheaper these days.
     
  19. mwhq macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #20
    I'm hoping that was sarcastic. The words's "SO last season" put together in a subject related to processing architecture would be enough to warrant your arrest.

    If, on the off chance it wasn't sarcastic then I would love to know what will make SB worth the wait. Not just the generic 'it's faster'.

    Intrigue me...
     
  20. slipper macrumors 68000

    slipper

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2003
    #21
    Of course there will always be a new model. But why buy now when the new model will most likely be announced very soon?
     
  21. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

    MagicBoy

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #22
    Soon could be over 3 months.

    Why not wait for Ivy Bridge instead? Or perhaps the next new architecture due a year after that? You need to jump aboard at some point. If you can wait three months then so be it, if there's a requirement for a new MBP sooner then just buy it now. OK, so SB is a bit quicker per clock than Nehalem. The rest of the SB platform is just an evolution of what's available now. We're not talking an major paradigm shift of architecture (eg PPC -> Intel) or fantastic new features like Blu-Ray being added to the Mac.
     
  22. s1lv3r macrumors member

    s1lv3r

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #23
    I'm also buying one, but as i don't need it for today/tomorrow, i've decided to wait until mid-feb. If there's an update or not, i'll get it.

    The only doubt i've: get the i5 or the i7... arround 200usd difference, which i don't know if it's worth. I might be doing some HD video editing, and i'm sure i'll use it for games. And i'm also sure, i'm getting 8gb ram and a Momentus or Momentus XT HDD (as SSD are "a bit" out of my budget). What would you guys recommend?
     
  23. Gnomecircle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2011
    Location:
    Montreal
    #24
    I am in exactly the same boat. I need to replace my MBP, Intel Core Duo. I bought it a scant month before the Intel Core 2 Duos came out.

    I can wait... but I don't want to wait.:(

    It really is the same old discussion. Yes, there will always be something better, but it comes down to need. Can we wait... a month? 2 months? 3 months? And then if you're okay waiting for a month, and there is still nothing, will you wait another month? After all, it must be just around the corner... etc...:confused:

    The problem is that we don't know when the next best thing is coming out. And is the next best thing going to be that much better than what is out there now.

    Aww spit! I still don't know if I'm going to wait. lol.
     
  24. s1lv3r macrumors member

    s1lv3r

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #25

    waiting sucks, but buying and see you brand new MDP becaming "old" 1 month later sucks even more..

    my case is a little bit different. I'm going to the States in February and my plan is to the the MBP there, because the much cheaper (the i7 15" here costs arround 4800 US$). So i'm here praying that Apple updates it before i'm going, if not, i'll "need" to get the 2010 MBP.
     

Share This Page