New MBP Does Not Recognize Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Nov 16, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

Run of the mill memorex 32GB rhumb drive and my 3400.00 laptop does not recognize it.

POS is going back.

2. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Have you used whichever adaptor you use with another thumbdrive? The problem could, possible, be there.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yeah. I also have several thumb drives that just aren't recognized on a new MBPro, either.
    My sticks are different brands, but all are the cheap type with no metal surrounding the connector - only plastic.
    Cheap is as cheap does, I suppose.
    As they usually work in other systems, I just go shopping for another brand.
    Seems like too much hassle to return the stick just because it isn't usable in one computer.

So. Returning your new tech because of a 10 dollar accessory?

4. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Is this the same Wifi interference issue then?

5. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I used a Porsche Design External HD and the dongle picked it up.

But can't recognize a basic Memorex plastic thumb drive that literally every student owns?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Returning my 3400 laptop because it can't recognize a $10 accessory that literally every other laptop reads?

You would be psychologically challenged to NOT feel like returning it. It is infuriating.

Lose the Apple apologetic attitude.

6. leman macrumors 604

Does the drive show up in the disk utility? What does System Informarmation utility say when its plugged in?

7. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

If this is widespread, I despair.

2.5 years Apple was working on this. No-one plugged in a bog-standard thumbdrive?

8. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

This seems to be a common problem with the 2016 macbook pros. There are many usb-b and usb-c peripherals that dont work properly with new macs. It will be painful in situations where others bring flash drives to communicate with new macbook.

9. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Literally plugged into all 4 ports none of them recognized it.

[​IMG]

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, OK, I don't know who "every student" may be, and I have dozens of flash drives, no Memorex at all.
    Of course, I am not a student, other than a "student of life"...
    If one stick does not mount, I just try a different brand. I have a small number that don't work on every port that I try. I use something else. I haven't ever thought about returning a laptop when a flash drive is "rejected", but that's just me...

emailnotebox has a good thought - there may be some "adjustment" to the USB type-C ports for some users. So, may not be the simple "plug it in, it will work", until you decide which devices work best in your particular situation.

12. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Are your POS thumb drives USB C ? If not try unplugging the adapter plug the drive into it then plug the dongle in. That's how Apple says to do it on my 2015 rMB, it won't recognize it if I just plug it in. If that vapor locks you then oh well.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Give me your MacBook I can find something to do with it.

14. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

That's a white-labelled mass USB drive: lots of brands use the identical product, relabelled.

It's one of the most common thumbdrives on Earth, especially in Europe and Asia.

If it doesn't work on the MBP... we're in giant comedy of errors territory.

15. idunn macrumors 6502

Possibly the dongle used. From what I've seen the advent of forced USB-C will usher in a plethora of problems; even professionals have admitted to being "confused" by the standards and what will work with what.

'USB-C' only denotes the type of physical port; what may run through it—a particular version of Thunderbolt or something else—is a different question altogether.

IF this an issue with the 2016 MBP, then Apple has even bigger problems on its hands.

16. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

17. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Wonder if Apple's implementation of usb 3.1 decided to ignore backward compatibility with usb2.x and usb 1.x. Which is part of the standard. Vintage? Obsolete? If so, lots and lots of problems, printers, scanners, hubs, ipods, lots and lots of things.

18. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dropbox is horrible, it makes people signup just to view a video I share. What website will allow me to upload this video beside youtube?

19. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

20. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

When you plug it in, go to system information and look under usb to see if the machine can actually see that it is plugged in. also, i would try both orientations of the usb-c connecter. if all of this still does not work i would suggest going to an apple store and showing them the problem

21. 2457248 Suspended

gosh i was hopefully waiting for you to smash a fist through the display in the last 10 seconds.
    i feel your disappointment.
    i don't want to be that guy but i must say, apple didn't use to be this.

22. Nick11Mac, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Issues such as this are, at the least, very annoying. This issue, and the keyboard issue reported in another thread should make for a number of product returns.

23. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I agree man. You do have a right to be frustrated. I'm thinking maybe it's an issue with it being so new and bugs needing to be worked out. Which is why I try to not buy a first gen redesign. Hopefully updates fix this

24. ricky1989 macrumors member

That equates to a lot of refurb machine in 3months time.