Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexasMac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Texas
My Macbook has been doing the same thing when its not plugged in. I took it to a Genius Bar and they told me it was a 10.4.10 issue. I archived and re-installed OSX back to 10.4.9, and that got the KP's to stop. I've only had 1 wireless drop since we did that. I've got a 2Wire router as well. I hope they get the kinks worked out fast!

sjackson29

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
righton

i did not read through the pages and pages on this thread yet, but

this is the reason i joined. my brand new MBP intel, it has three kernal panics a day. i spent three hours at the genious bar and they didnt know what it was. thank god for the error coming up on the diagnosis. they gave me a new laptop, and its happened seven times in 2 days.

WTF

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
i did not read through the pages and pages on this thread yet, but

this is the reason i joined. my brand new MBP intel, it has three kernal panics a day. i spent three hours at the genious bar and they didnt know what it was. thank god for the error coming up on the diagnosis. they gave me a new laptop, and its happened seven times in 2 days.

WTF

I know it sucks, but for now, stay hooked up to a power outlet. you won't have the problem unless you're running off the battery.

kbtb

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Week old MBP having Kernal Panics

Just read this thread after our MBP shutdown while on the internet yesterday. Now cannot even get it to restart. Have the AC plugged in. Also have an Airport Extreme, flying saucer shape. Called Applecare with a different problem with the DVD drive, and now our kernel panics are continuous. Can't get the machine to stay on! Tryed unplugging the router and turning it on - still no luck.

Not sure we want a replacement machine.

Purchased the new MBP because my PowerBook G4 just crashed - this is crazy!!! Will have that repaired.

Maybe we should all get refunds and wait until Leopard comes out in October.

kbtb

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Have it plugged into wall outlet - still doesn't work

My one week old MBP won't even stay on, as a matter of fact - it is now turning on and off ALL BY ITSELF. EVEN THE TECH GUY LAUGHED.
SOME SERIOUS ISSUES. APPLE SHOULD STOP SELLING AND SHIPPING THESE UNTIL THEY HAVE A FIX. NEED TO DO A RECALL - ONLY ETHICAL BUSSINESS DECISION.

pommedeterres

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
No Kernel Panics with Apple Router

After 4 kernel panics within 24 hours of owning new macbook and connected to a 2Wire router, I'm happy to say that 1 week later there have been NO kernel panics when hooked to the Apple Airport Router.

Be sure to leave feedback about these new machines on CNET and other consumer forums . . . . Let your voice be heard.

HawaiiHereICome

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
My Macbook Pro C2D has had many kernal panics since updating to 10.4.10. They come and go, when I try to reset my wireless after it goes dead but still shows its connected and sometimes just randomly. I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up all my stuff and re-installing OS. So I'm hoping they fix it soon and issue another update...maybe 10.4.11.

HawaiiHereICome

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
and its not a hardware issue because when I use Boot Camp to run Windows XP, I have no shutdown or wireless issues. Comon Apple and release an update alreadY!

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I've tried it on a Netgear, Dlink and whatever the use at a holiday inn. All crash the MBP in battery mode, but yes if I use bootcamped XP they work fine. Its a software problem, plain and simple.

C'mon apple fix it!

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
If you're delaying your purchase because of these panics...

Not wanting to upset anyone who's seeing these panics...

After ordeirng my 15 MBP back on June 8 I was convinced I'd be driving down to my local AppleStore within a few days with a machine that just kept panicing, although working for a very large Unix vendor, having worked with Solaris for 15 years I wasn't panicing about it myself.

Anyway my machine arrived on June 25th and I've never seen a wireless related panic at all (that's on an known work wifi and a home Netgear DG834GT - left on G). I tend to run on battery as much as possible (cause the battery lasts so much longer than my g/f's DELL it makes me smile!).

So be aware there are people out here not seeing these panics.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I've tried it on a Netgear, Dlink and whatever the use at a holiday inn. All crash the MBP in battery mode, but yes if I use bootcamped XP they work fine. Its a software problem, plain and simple.

C'mon apple fix it!

Sorry I haven't read back through all your posts but have you run all the software/firmware updates? How old is your MBP? Which week build is it?

I only experienced the kernel panics/airport.Atheros issue on my first MBP (week 23). Now on my 4th one (week 26) and yet to even try it on wireless as only bought it last night and was calibrating the battery. Will report back if there are any issues but so far the rest of the MBP (*so* many problems with the previous three) looks great!

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Sorry I haven't read back through all your posts but have you run all the software/firmware updates? How old is your MBP? Which week build is it?

I only experienced the kernel panics/airport.Atheros issue on my first MBP (week 23). Now on my 4th one (week 26) and yet to even try it on wireless as only bought it last night and was calibrating the battery. Will report back if there are any issues but so far the rest of the MBP (*so* many problems with the previous three) looks great!

Yes got all the firmware/software updates that are available.

Don't know the week build but I only got it Thursday last week. Was a CTO which came from Shanghai (2.2ghz, 160gb).

Strange enough after all the KP's I had with it over the last week, I went on it this morning and it was fine. Didn't realize till i shut it down that I had been on battery for 20mins :confused:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Don't know the week build but I only got it Thursday last week. Was a CTO which came from Shanghai (2.2ghz, 160gb).

It's the 4th & 5th digits from your serial number, should be something like W87xx.....

It's interesting that people say it happens on non-Apple wireless networks. I have an Apple Airport Express network and as I mentioned before I did experience the kernel panics problem on my first MBP. I don't often use other wireless networks but perhaps I should try this, as a test. Hmmm...

twoboxen

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
@tullys

Yes, we know there are people out there not seeing this problem. You are fortunate enough at your <= 3 locations to not have a 2wire (and probably other brands) router.

The point is, do you really want to have to ask before you use someone else's router? Perhaps you are giving a slideshow to a family / presentation at work / etc, and you accidentally left your airport enabled. Now your $2500 computer goes all black screen of death because of the BRAND of a ROUTER?

That's pretty embarrassing--both to a consumer who bought such a flawed product for that much money and to apple, who should be embarrassed. Not embarrassed because of bugs--they happen. But because of their response (by "Genius"s and Corporate technical support). Three PCs and you're STILL trying to get me to get a 4th (L2 corp support's suggestion that I send in my laptop so they can take a look at it...) give me a break... no f'n way apple, address the problem plz. It's really not that hard.

As I suggested that your engineers do
1. get new mbp.
2. get 2wire router (ask your new friend ATT, who only distributes 2wire in my city)
3. unplug ac.
4. connect
5. fix
6. profit.

i hope other people's posts about their being a fix in the test phase is accurate... I wonder if they'll have to send a tech out to fix my bad hardware... ?

neetster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
Is the problem 2wire only? Do you guys think if I go get Airport Extreme, the problem will be fixed?

blackslayer

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
1) Download Pacifist http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743

2) Download airport extreme update 2007-002

3) Download 10.4.9 combo update

4) Go to /system/library/extensions and copy appleairport.kext and appleairport2.kext to a backup location just to be safe and then delete them from the extensions folder.

5) Also in the extensions folder you'll find IO80211Family.kext and copy it to backup folder and then delete it.

6) Mount airport extreme update dmg and then open Pacifist.

7) In Pacifist click on "Open Package" and select the airport extreme update package.

8) In Pacifist you will now see all the files that are in the package. Find system and expand it's tree by clicking on the triangle. then expand library and then extensions. You will now see the IO80211Family.kext file. Click once on it so it's highlighted and then click "Install".

9) When it's done copying files expand coreservices and then menu extras. Highlight "Airport Menu" and click install.

10) When it's done copying close the window in Pacifist for the airport update package.

11) Now mount the 10.4.9 combo update dmg and click "Open Package" in Pacifist and select the 10.4.9 combo package.

12) Again find the system folder and expand it and then expand the libray and extensions folders.

13) In the extensions folder you'll see a bunch of files. Look for appleairport.kext and highlight it. Click "Install".

14) when it's done copying you should see the appleairport2.kext. Highlight it and click "install".

15) when Pacifist is done copying reboot your Macbook.

16) Once booted try your internet and then jump up and down shouting YIPEEEEE!!! IT'S FIXED!!

I have now had a solid connection for over 30 minutes on battery as I've been typing these instructions when I couldn't stay connected for more then 1-3 minutes before applying this fix.

Who needs Applecare support!!!!...HEHEHEHE!!!!

Hope this helps and enjoy having your internet connection back. I think I'll send Apple a bill for all my labor time fixing their bug. Boy wouldn't they just love that..LOL!!!!

THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME! FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG SUCH AS YOU DELETED THE WRONG FILES OR YOUR SYSTEM HAS OTHER ISSUES THAT MAY AFFECT THE OUTCOME!!!

it works for mine:eek:

neetster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
I just completely reinstalled OS X and I'm keeping it as 10.4.9. I didn't lose much since I just got it. I hope this works.

Edit: It continues to stop loading pages from time to time. But no Kernel Panic yet.
Edit2: Alright nevermind, I got a Kernel Panic after about 15-20 minutes of use. What a waste of time.

That's my 6th one since I got this thing 3 days ago.

Edit3: Well about 24 hours since the first kernel panic since downgraded to 10.4.9 and no kernel panics. Now I wonder if I should really send it back or not.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Mine has been doing this still but I haven't tried the pacifist method yet. Will give it ago tonight.

I'm royally cheesed of with Apple on this. I asked to return it the other day but they want to charge me a restocking fee as I passed the 14 days. I told them I'd logged the call with them after 9 days but they were having none of it.

I asked to speak to a manager and was cut of. I rang back and had a go at the person on the phone as nothing is getting sorted. I told them (and sent a letter in) saying if it is not fixed with 10-14 days I am taking the matter to court to get my money back.

This has seriously damaged my faith in Apple.

kensir

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
MBP #3 arrived this morning. So far so good. No Kernel panics yet, and I'm about to reinstall the OS (to remove free trials of Office, etc.). But since Apple has confirmed this is a software issue, I'm sure I'll be hanging on to this one.

On my last call, they took down my router information and a description of what happened. And I've sent them 2 machines to try it out. My last call was about 10 days ago, and Apple gave me a time table of 1 month for the fix. She seemed to suggest it would come earlier than that though...

Only time will tell I guess. As for now, I'm not wasting my time doing a workaround.. at least until I start getting some Kernel Panics.

EDIT: My machine is a week 29 machine.

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
I believe the majority of these issues are due to heat.

I have noticed the following with my MBP 15" 2.4 SR (all stock):

1. Airport problems and dropouts seem to be heat related.
Without keeping an eye on the temperatures, I was initially plagued by dropouts for no apparent reason.

2. Kernel panic/lockup seemed to be heat related - either the CPU gets to 60+ degC or the GPU gets to about 68degC.

3. slowdowns as the CPU attempts to throttle back to reduce temperature.

Since keeping the temps manually under control with smcFanControl to 30-40degC I've not had a problem.
Currently my laptop is sat on my lap, in a hot room, charging the battery on AC at a reasonable CPU 39degC GPU Diode 55degC, GPU HS 39degC - with the fans at 6000rpm!

To me it appears apple have a design issue with the MBP due to the thermal output of the Intel and nVidia chips.

kensir

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
I could not disagree with you more. My three (yes, three) SR MBP's have never had temperature issues. Never have they risen above 40 degrees celsius. The dropouts occur seconds after start up and happen when the laptop is nice and cool. The issue at hand is most likely connected to router connection issues (3rd Party routers like 2Wire... some D-links maybe?)

It's clearly a software issue as Apple has stated before.

neetster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
I went to the apple store today. Basically, they told me to call apple care and they'll send me a new MBP. Is that even necessary?

twoboxen

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Reiterated: Heat is NOT the issue. heat is AN issue in that it cooks my lap if i ever have to put it on there, but it is definitely NOT causing this problem. This has happened more than once after just booting up with fully functioning fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.