New MBP13" 10h Battery: Scam?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eiprol, May 3, 2010.

1. eiprol macrumors 6502

eiprol

Hi!

I bought the new 13"MBP bottom (2.4Ghz) last week, And I have charged it five times (load-cycles)
    Not only the battery health is at 95%, but also It drains in 4-5h with bright set to low! It's far away from 10h.
    Is it normal? I have an old MBP15" that can stay on for the same time that my new 13MBP in the same conditions!

In addition, a friend of mine, with the same new 13MBP, has the same "problem" (despite his battery health, that is still at 100%)

Is there any other here with the same Issue? Is it normal?
    Thanks!

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

10 hours is just a marketing number. It's measured under Apple's specific conditions which are usually much less demanding than the average user's conditions.

It's like car manufacturers and their miles per gallon measurements except battery measurements are even less standardized.

3. eiprol thread starter macrumors 6502

eiprol

Yes, I know.. but I'm trying to use it under low conditions (low bright, and just internet)... And the battery drains in the Half time of Apple's number...

And what about low health? Both coconut Battery and iStat pro tell me 95% health. (I have calibrated the battery twice, and nothing changes)

Just 5 load cycles!!

/cry

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

dont feel bad....i have the same results

i have tested it thoroughly and it definitely cannot get 10h , even with the screen at lowest and zero wireless , zero blue tooth(both shut off).

there is absolutely no way this can get 10h unless the screen is turned off in which you could get close.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I know with the previous revision, Apple stated on the site, something to the effect: "X hrs of wireless productivity," implying the wifi was turned on. I believe the screen brightness was also set to 50%? Again, this was a previous revision. They have probably since begun testing under unworldly circumstances. Perhaps an SSD is to blame for the exaggerated batt life?

6. vant macrumors 65816

If you use flash, it hurts your battery a lot.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I don't think it's too bad, but it's likely the pages they are browsing. I believe the tests are based on 50% brightness with wifi on, everything else off. The problem is, they could be forcing the processor to 25% power, among other things. Referring to my earlier miles per gallon example, auto companies used to test with super high octane fuel, often on a conveyor-type platform which offered zero resistance to the car's tires.

8. mug3n macrumors newbie

So you've actually drained the battery in 5 hours? hmm

I'm not surprised.

9. eiprol thread starter macrumors 6502

eiprol

Yes; the same duration that a 2009 MBP15" (My brother's one)

But I'm also worried about Battery health: 95% in 5 load-cycles.

10. glycon macrumors newbie

I called Apple about my 2010 13" battery health already being 94% after about a week and 4 cycles. They documented it and asked that I monitor battery life and health more closely to see if there is a problem. My use thus far has been sporadic 1-2 hour sessions and I do not leave it plugged in except to charge.

11. Martini-man macrumors member

Hi!

My battery has more that it was designed for (acording to coconut).

However it drains in about the same time as yours and the cpu also runs hot.

I've made a request to change it for another one and another one is on its way.

Claim your rights.

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

There is also an issue with the ethernet port flapping once every minute or so. If you open network preferences you can sit there and watch the state of the ethernet port change every so often. This is also contributing to the shorter battery times. So far apple is not acknowledging the issue so nothing has been done, but there are plenty of posts about it around the net.

It is also preventing the machines from going to sleep properly, which is certainly affecting how long your battery is lasting.

13. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

hmm, i've actually been pretty impressed with mine. with BT off, and a land line network in the office, I got close to 8+hours of internet/excel/entourage/VMWare usage with some to spare. granted that's not "constant usage", since i was on the phone and talking around the office, but for me it lasts a short work day if need be

14. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Mine was like that too, but after calibration it was fine. It even read 11 hours with low light setting. (Actually lasted 8-9 hours, light usage of web-browsing and etc.)
    When I had problem I called customer support, but they basically well end up telling you to go to genius bar to actually run through tests, so don't waste time on phone support, but make reservation with genius bar and if there is problem, they will replace your battery for you. 95% 5th cycle doesn't sound good at all.

15. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Does 98% after 6 battery load cycles sound ok?
    I calibrated by battery twice already.

Will/Can the current battery capacity go up?
    Or is this the best that it will ever be at?

Sorry for the noob question, i'm new to this MBPro and the coconut battery application.

Thanks

16. M1K3YY macrumors newbie

ive been gettin pretty good times with my batter too.. on average im gettin about 9 hours..thats with bluetooth off, wifi on, screen set to 50%, and keyboard light off...it all depends on what your doing and how many apps you have open at the same time.. if your just browsing the internet you get more..once you start doing flash on the internet, your battery gets eaten alive.. or if your using your speakers..things like that..the more you do on your computer at the same time..the faster your battery drains...

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have a June 2009 13" mbp. The battery was rated at 7 hours by apple. If I run a m4v movie using iTunes and the screen at 50% brightness and the sound is coming from the internal speakers it will run for 5 hours before my machine shuts itself off.

18. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Is there an application that tell you exactly how many hours you have been actively using the Macbook?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I get around 6.5 doing web browsing and movies, itunes cuts the estimate down by an hour. I have the 7 hour battery, I love it.

20. mike8717189 macrumors member

2 weeks old, 13" basic, 99% charge, 2 full sycles, last around 8.5 hrs.

21. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

i have a 13" 2.4 and my battery lasts 10H + easily.

actually got to 11:18 min once on light forum based browsing few youtube videos mail etc.

If your doing intense photo editing or video editing and your battery doesnt last 10 hours... wtf really? don't be rediculous.

the battery does perform as advertised.

22. M1K3YY macrumors newbie

im not sure if there is a specific application..this is my first mac computer.. so i was on this thing the first couple of days figuring out all the different stuff i could do...and i just watched the clock..its pretty much an estimate..but i have gotten 10+ hours on this laptop..its much more time than any other laptop i have owned.. and i love how the fan doesnt need to kick in unless im doing intense things...quiet computer plus long battery life...why would anyone every want a different laptop?

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I have been on the fence trying to decide between 'last year's refurb' and this year's 13" MBP. Hmmm.....$300 more dollars for twice the memory, bigger hard drive, slightly faster processor, slightly updated graphics chip....same battery life?

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Try using your macbook pro with 1 notch of brightness with only wifi on with no bluetooth and I bet you'll get close to that 10 hours of battery life.

On my 17" i7 mbp I get 11 hours with 1 notch of brightness and with only wifi enabled and bluetooth disabled, off and on video streaming or flash playing (installed click2flash to block out any flash content).

I am very impressed!!

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Apple's own website says 10hrs is acheived at 50% brightness with wi-fi on. I am not sure how dim 1 notch is, but if that's what it takes, I'm not very impressed.