MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

034911-newmobileme.jpg

Apple has launched their new MobileMe interface tonight with an overhauled MobileMe Webmail system as well as a "Find My iPhone" App Store App. The new interface reveals a new application switcher interface which replaces the row of icons that was previously used.

The new Webmail features are detailed by Apple as well. These include:

- Widescreen and compact views.
- Rules to keep your email organized everywhere.
- Single-click archiving.
- Formatting toolbar.
- Faster performance.
- Increased security with SSL.
- Support for external email addresses (new since the beta)
- Improved junk mail filtering (new since the beta).

035713-findmy.jpg

Meanwhile, Apple has also released a brand new Find My iPhone app [App Store] that offers a universal iPhone/iPad App to locate your lost device:
If you lose your iPhone or iPad while on the go, simply install this free app on any other iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to find it. Sign in with your member name and password (MobileMe subscription required) to locate your missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. You can even remotely lock the device to protect your privacy, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned.

Article Link: New MobileMe Launched

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Looks like some good developments but it still lacks that killer feature or unrefusable price that would make me go for it. I don't mind the idea of paying for this stuff, I just don't want to pay quite so much for it. Or want some really killer features for the same money.

Comment

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Apple can release this 'Find My iPhone' app for both iPhone and iPad platforms but can't do the same for the 'Apple Store' app? Ugh... Is it so wrong to want the iPad to be treated as an equal to the iPhone?

Comment

JTownTX

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio, TX
1st!

Post that is! Was really looking forward to free MobileMe across all Apple devices. Is that too much to ask?!

Long time reader.

Comment

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
The app seems pointless. I'm installing it anyway.

Very glad to see that FMI is working on iOS 4 now though.

Comment

MacProPIMP

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
iDisk

Apple can release this 'Find My iPhone' app for both iPhone and iPad platforms but can't do the same for the 'Apple Store' app? Ugh... Is it so wrong to want the iPad to be treated as an equal to the iPhone?

How about a universal iDisk app! :mad:

Comment

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
What's with the ridiculous application switcher? Now you have to click, move mouse to middle of screen, and then select one of the apps? What's the point of this "enhancement"?:confused:

Comment

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Support for external email addresses (new since the beta). Reading all your email in one place is easy with MobileMe Mail. You can receive email from another service by having the email forwarded to your me.com address.* And when you reply to a message using webmail, you can choose to send it from the address it was sent to, or from your MobileMe account.

PLEASE tell me this is how it will be on my iPhone now tooooo

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
What's with the ridiculous application switcher? Now you have to click, move mouse to middle of screen, and then select one of the apps? What's the point of this "enhancement"?:confused:

I agree. The application switcher is ridiculous.

Worst of all, unless you are reading macrumors or another Apple blog, its completely undiscoverable.

Apple has a LONG way to go catching up with others in the internet applications arena.

Comment

MaxZ.

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
i like the find my iphone feature. but paying so much for actualy only maybe losing it is annoying. needing another iphone r ipod touch to find my lost iphone makes it actualy useless imo.... bet you can use a mac to?

Comment

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
People need to stop complaining about it not being free, its only $30 for 1 year on ebay which is really cheap! for a great service.

Comment

CJM

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2005
U.K.
People need to stop complaining about it not being free, its only $30 for 1 year on ebay which is really cheap! for a great service.

The part of the service I would want would be the Find my iPhone app. The rest is erroneous to me.

Comment

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Find my iPhone and the remote wipe feature are worth the price of MobileMe alone if you ask me. Which other provider allows personal users (as opposed to business or enterprise users) access to such features?

Comment

jonohayes

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
New Zealand
update = suck!

Sorry Apple but i really hate the "app switching"

bring back the all the apps on top. that was the best designed application ever hands down.

NOW its just wrong for a web application.

the blue is nice & login window is real nice. but they really need to change the "app switching" really needs to change back

Comment

x0ne

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
The application switcher is absolutely ridiculous, if we have to have one button why not put all the icons in a hover menu over the button in the top left. We've gone from single click to any area, to click move the cursor half way across the screen and another click.

Same with flagging and marking functions, its changed from simply clicking in the flag column to selecting the email, moving the cursor across the entire window, click menu button then click the flag, mark or junk button. They've actually made the process to handle junk mail slower and more work, pathetic!

Comment

joenruschia

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
About time

Man Ive been waiting a long time for the find my iPhone app to come out and better yet to have it a universal app. Makes it so much easier when I can't get a hold of the wife and am freaking out that something happened to her (shes the breadwinner, would be bad if she got in an accident, for more reasons than just money)

Beats having to load up the website on my phone, selecting the icon, then entering my name for the millionth time, then waiting forever for the thing to display.

Now like others said, would be nice to get the apple store app and gallery app and iDisk app to be universal. Not sure what the hold up there is. I'd really like the gallery one to come out soon.

And even though I pay it, I do think 99 a year is a bit high. Would be good at like 59 a year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.