Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the editor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010

probably wishful thinking/guessing

the article doesn't even mention any specs, just that tha mac pro update is going to be announced at WWDC and probably in a new case...i'll believe it when i see it.

my thoughts are we ain't going to see a new MP until at least september-oktober. either that or Apple is waiting for some better deal(price wise) cpu's...with the current cpu prices they'd simply have to charge to much at for a machine that is already hilariously overpriced anyway

Mac Pro's are really overpriced and this is backfiring on Apple

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
UK
'Mac Pro's are really overpriced and this is backfiring on Apple'

Agreed, and this is the only thing from stopping me from pulling the trigger. If an update does occur without a price increase, i'll be happy to pay, as windows is not an option for me, but ill feel a bit resentful if an update does not appear before July and i have to pay full whack for a machine i'll then have to open up and bring it up to some sort of worthwhile spec, ie 8-12 gb, 2x 640gb + 80gb ssd for OSx. A single 2.93 would be ample for me i hope..

Quash

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
'Mac Pro's are really overpriced and this is backfiring on Apple'

Only the 2009 models are very overpriced imo.
2009 base: 2499 1 x $284 cpu other stuff: $2215
2008 base: 2799 2 x $797 cpus other stuff: $1205
2006 base: 2499 2 x $690 cpus other stuff: $1119

That is quite a big difference.
If they bring the "other stuff" price back to around $1500 they can make attractive new mac pro's now.

the editor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010

If they bring the "other stuff" price back to around $1500 they can make attractive new mac pro's now.

the one thing that is for sure is that Apple won't drop prices. thats completely against they're business philosophy witch is:

"get these idiots to pay as much as possible if not double. To camouflage our little rip-off we will keep feeding our customers bullsh*t statements that everything is magical and that this time its not 2x but 4x faster, that the design is very sleek & very easy to upgrade, * of course if you want to upgrade, we will charge the idiots also "double". By the time 2011 we will still flat out lie on our website and say that the by then over 1 year old Mac Pro is actually the " all new mac pro", just like we do now.

By the way there's going to be an opening performance at WWDC, 50cent will be performing "straight to the bank" and guest appearance by mr. hood "robin & stealin"

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
the one thing that is for sure is that Apple won't drop prices. thats completely against they're business philosophy witch is:

... "get these idiots to pay as much as possible if not double. To camouflage our little rip-off.....

Well - there must be quite a few of us "idiots" out there as Apple now has the second highest market cap of all US corporations - now surpassing MS.

Many of us make informed decisions as to why we purchase a Mac Pro - we run businesses with them & OS X & related apps. We make make real $$ in operating margin by delivering products/services that customers pay for.

There is a small and vocal minority that bitch and whine about what a rip off Apple is. In many cases that is all they do.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
and let me add, I just purchased a new current model Mac Pro for my business. The entire cost of that purchase can easily be absorbed within the first couple of days of the engagement if I were to give it that type of accounting treatment. I do not worry about chasing tech specs that deliver some questionable level of increased PRACTICAL performance - it is marketed as a "Pro" computer - like in professional use.

If a hexcore something or another starts shipping within the 14 day return window I would consider a swap & restocking fee - depends on what is announced. But in neither case have I been ripped off.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009

"get these idiots to pay as much as possible if not double. To camouflage our little rip-off we will keep feeding our customers bullsh*t statements that everything is magical and that this time its not 2x but 4x faster, that the design is very sleek & very easy to upgrade, * of course if you want to upgrade, we will charge the idiots also "double". By the time 2011 we will still flat out lie on our website and say that the by then over 1 year old Mac Pro is actually the " all new mac pro", just like we do now.

By the way there's going to be an opening performance at WWDC, 50cent will be performing "straight to the bank" and guest appearance by mr. hood "robin & stealin"

Yeah, what a terrible company. Making money for their shareholders!! What next? :rolleyes:

the editor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, what a terrible company. Making money for their shareholders!! What next? :rolleyes:

aaah please get over the fan-boy drama already...of course Apple is making money and thats what business is about, but expecting customers to pay the amount of money they are charging for a Pro machine is simply nuts.

Apple is taking super advantage of its customers especially the pro customers because they know there ain't that much options for them except hackintosh systems but one thing i'm not is a computer wiz....lots of Prof. including myself have throughout the years bought Software for mac for over 7000$, Mac font library's, Plugins...you name it. All this in expecting to get nothing but the best since this was what Apple was about back then...Now its only overpriced outdated hardware, Iphone and Ipad crap.

Why'd you think Apple is now a "Mobile Device" company and changed focus, because they now that the only thing keeping Mac computers alive is the OS. Point blank and sooner or later there is going to come something better, and the day will come that Apple's OS will run 100% flawlessly on a self builed computer. Lets see then if Apple is still going to be number 1. 70% of their succes is based on the OS...the rest is based on looks/design. Not performance because you can get double the power for less money!

The only thing that keeps me from going windows (at the moment) is my software and type library investments...especialy type investment

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The only thing that keeps me from going windows (at the moment) is my software and type library investments...especialy type investment
This is the biggest hinderance for anyone currently using OS X that might rather run Windows or Linux (some have indicated the software has now caught up with, or even surpassed the OS X versions), and would be able to take advantage of lower cost hardware (particularly 3rd party hardware that's not even available on Mac Pros).

Professional software can easily out-cost the the system it runs on, even with all the upgrades added. There are applications that exceed $10k USD per license. :eek: :(

tmacmo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
I've thrown in my 2 cents on this thread a few times. All in all, I'm inclined to go with the following:

1. New MP at WWDC: 20% chance.

2. New MP on a Tuesday in Aug-Oct: 70% chance.

3. New MP on a Tuesday in Jan 2011 or later: 10% chance.

I'm basing this on nothing but the overall thoughts, ideas and points made on this and other threads. There IS NO INFO on this topic that is reliable, all is speculation, so what the hell, I'll speculate.

So, I just order a new 8 core MP from Amazon, new as in 2009. :)

Amazon has a 30 day return policy minus a 15% restock. Amazon's price is $200 cheaper than Apple.com. So, I figure worse case scenario is I send this baby back to Amazon IF there is an announcement at WWDC and I'm out a max of a few hundred. However, I'm not too concerned.

All in all, most of the posters who have mention the true requirements of a pro and a pro machine are spot on. A pro uses his hardware as equipment, to do a job. And a pro machine must be reliable above all else.

And as far as speed is concerned, just head over to geekbench if you have any concerns about the 8 core Nehalem MPs. They are consistently at the top. I've yet to see a Hackintosh even close, overclocked or not. And why do I want headaches? I just want the damn box to work day after day for a few years. Period.

Thanks to all for their thoughts. You've helped me a lot in the past few weeks. I'm looking forward to my new MP to arrive tomorrow. :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There seem to be two types of people here. Those that want to upgrade their macs for whatever reason, and those that begrudge them this possibility for some odd reason. :confused:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

You can get a refurbished 2009 2.93 Quad right now for $2549 - that's decent value. Upgrade the RAM to 6GB and you've got a very very nice workstation that can handle nearly any workload you can throw at it. (Ask me how I know! :p)

Aug 26, 2008
I've thrown in my 2 cents on this thread a few times. All in all, I'm inclined to go with the following:

1. New MP at WWDC: 20% chance.

2. New MP on a Tuesday in Aug-Oct: 70% chance.

3. New MP on a Tuesday in Jan 2011 or later: 10% chance.

I'm basing this on nothing but the overall thoughts, ideas and points made on this and other threads. There IS NO INFO on this topic that is reliable, all is speculation, so what the hell, I'll speculate.

So, I just order a new 8 core MP from Amazon, new as in 2009. :)

Amazon has a 30 day return policy minus a 15% restock. Amazon's price is $200 cheaper than Apple.com. So, I figure worse case scenario is I send this baby back to Amazon IF there is an announcement at WWDC and I'm out a max of a few hundred. However, I'm not too concerned.

All in all, most of the posters who have mention the true requirements of a pro and a pro machine are spot on. A pro uses his hardware as equipment, to do a job. And a pro machine must be reliable above all else.

And as far as speed is concerned, just head over to geekbench if you have any concerns about the 8 core Nehalem MPs. They are consistently at the top. I've yet to see a Hackintosh even close, overclocked or not. And why do I want headaches? I just want the damn box to work day after day for a few years. Period.

Thanks to all for their thoughts. You've helped me a lot in the past few weeks. I'm looking forward to my new MP to arrive tomorrow. :)

Just a quick note, the reason the dual processor mac pros are consistently at the top is that generally, you don't see too many dual processor machines out there. Geekbench is not a great overall benchmark standard for "real world" usage, though of course the dual processor machines are powerful for certain tasks. For many tasks though, a fast single processor machine will beat it out. Geekbench doesn't reflect this. Nor does it reflect the huge savings in using quality parts in hackintosh. Not that I would ever build one myself.

Aug 26, 2008
You can get a refurbished 2009 2.93 Quad right now for $2549 - that's decent value. Upgrade the RAM to 6GB and you've got a very very nice workstation that can handle nearly any workload you can throw at it. (Ask me how I know! :p)

It might be a decent value in Apple prices. You could have a 4ghz quad on Windows 7 (which is a fantastic OS, and more capable than OSX overall. Yes, I use both.) with 12 gigs of ram and way better video card for about half that price.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
It might be a decent value in Apple prices. You could have a 4ghz quad on Windows 7 (which is a fantastic OS, and more capable than OSX overall. Yes, I use both.) with 12 gigs of ram and way better video card for about half that price.

Just curious how you find Windows 7 to be more capable. This is a genuine question.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

There's a cheaper alternative for every product Apple makes, but we're not here to just get the cheapest are we? If so, you're in the wrong place. :p

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
This is the biggest hinderance for anyone currently using OS X that might rather run Windows or Linux (some have indicated the software has now caught up with, or even surpassed the OS X versions), and would be able to take advantage of lower cost hardware (particularly 3rd party hardware that's not even available on Mac Pros).

Professional software can easily out-cost the the system it runs on, even with all the upgrades added. There are applications that exceed $10k USD per license. :eek: :(

It maybe just me but I'd take a second hand ebay 2008 Mac Pro for $2500 over a 2010 home-build PC running any version of Windows. The 2008 3.2 Octad is can still kick the ass of most of the 2009 Mac Pro's so all this obsessing about 'this years must have' is really relative to your budget.

Software aside, Productivity is not simply measured in that extra 20% cycle boost you get from this years bleeding edge tech.

I've been bitten by so called high end workstations on Windows before there is NO WAY I'd go back and I very much doubt many long term OSX professionals would even consider it.

The intel gen Mac Pros are amazing hardcore productivity tools - no matter how old they are and have not and never will be about being cheap!

Once again if you need now, and have paying jobs now, then buy now - it's that simple!

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Start a new thread before we get way off topic or pm each other.

Considering the original thread posited May 18th as the release date, isn't anything after "off topic." Probably should have closed the thread, no?

Someone brought up Windows 7. If his post is on topic, then my post asking for his reasons are on topic as well.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Just asking we keep it Mac Pro :) and leave the OSX Win7 for another page!

Can wew change the tread title to the 'Mac Pro 2010 epic struggle for a refresh' or simpler... 'New Mac Pro ........ 2010'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.