Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Where's the BEEF!!

Here's why:

1) Apple won't release the MP before May 18. It needs the iPad to establish a solid press foundation and won't risk competing against itself. The iPad needs these two weeks to transform from "that's neat" to "yeah, ok I need that."

2) Apple won't release the MP after later May. This would take too much energy away from pre-WWDC buzz (and it seems reasonable that the buzz will be iphone oriented, as it should be).

3) If Apple releases the MP shortly after WWDC then they compete with themselves again: bad idea.

4) Apple should release the MP before July. They have NEVER taken longer to update a product line (see the buyer's guide on this site--assuming the buyer's guide is accurate--is it, btw?).

My money says they'll release a new MP on May 18 in mostly the same case (expect minor mods), and with processor/memmory/hd bumps that you'd expect (and a marketing campaign explaining in detail why this is the fastest Mac ever blah blah blah with lots of neat-o processor images and mapping illustrations).

Anybody want to place the odds?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
With 3.3GHz 6-core CPU's around the corner, you're going to have a tough time convincing me that a machine clocked at 2.26GHz is built for the future - even if it has 8 cores.

Software development will always lag behind the hardware. By the time software does catchup, it will take advantage of older hardware, usually first.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Haha, I was joking. :) We all know that nobody here has any super secret information. It's all just a big waiting game.
Whoever made the rules for this game was a sadist!

So would a Mac Pro release really take anything at all away from WWDC? I get the feeling that most mac customers dont even know it's a computer.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'm keeping track of the New Zealand site to see if the same thing will happen from the last Macbook update; a silent, seamless update where the store never went down. The new Macbook showed up there first so maybe the Mac Pro might be the same?

sOid

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
I noticed that the estimated shipping date of the MP on the Dutch Apple website changed from 24 hours to 2 days.

I'm not sure when this changed, and it might not mean anything, but I haven't seen it change from 24 hours.

Thought I'd mention it :)

Edit: it's 2 days on the German, French and UK websites too.

Would that mean there's a shortage of MP's in Europe? That could possibly be a good thing...

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I noticed that the estimated shipping date of the MP on the Dutch Apple website changed from 24 hours to 2 days.

I'm not sure when this changed, and it might not mean anything, but I haven't seen it change from 24 hours.

Thought I'd mention it :)

Edit: it's 2 days on the German, French and UK websites too.

Would that mean there's a shortage of MP's in Europe? That could possibly be a good thing...

Hehe... Noticed the same "straw". It could also just mean that a lot of people who held their purchase gave up at the same time, causing a temporary shortage... :rolleyes:

PS: Mac Pros in Europe are being "assembled" in and delivered from Ireland. I don't suppose the same goes for US or Asian Mac Pros, does it?

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Hehe... Noticed the same "straw". It could also just mean that a lot of people who held their purchase gave up at the same time, causing a temporary shortage... :rolleyes:

PS: Mac Pros in Europe are being "assembled" in and delivered from Ireland. I don't suppose the same goes for US or Asian Mac Pros, does it?

Pretty unusual for all of them AND both models to move to 2 days - fingers crossed!

Update: All products are 2 days - looks like Apple are having trouble delivering anything - guess the MP update was a false hope.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Most of it's actually assembled in Asia, but then shipped to the distribution centers where they add in proper manuals, power cords, ... for the country it's bound for, as well as finish assembling CTO systems.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Most of it's actually assembled in Asia, but then shipped to the distribution centers where they add in proper manuals, power cords, ... for the country it's bound for, as well as finish assembling CTO systems.

That's what I thought.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So would a Mac Pro release really take anything at all away from WWDC? I get the feeling that most mac customers dont even know it's a computer.

I think it would add to the WWDC. It's clearly not going to distract the public from iPads and iPhones. One would think it would make developers happy that Apple hasn't forgotten about their platform and tools.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It's clearly not going to distract the public from iPads and iPhones.
Probably not. But the reverse could be possible, as MP users may want a new iPhone as well. So that group could get distracted from one or the other products.

Then there's potential budget considerations. That is, without knowing the 2010 MP pricing (assuming it's the bigger priority), funds intended for the iPhone may need to be diverted into upgrades, thus "costing" Apple an immediate sale of an iPhone. Remember, they want to recover funds ASAP, so the sales are reflected in the next quarterly statement (keeps shareholders happy).

One would think it would make developers happy that Apple hasn't forgotten about their platform and tools.
Definitely. Even just an announcement (if a shipping product will be another few weeks+ off), will calm those waiting for new systems. They can at least do their research and plan accordingly.

the editor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
nothing today...:D

folks....we are ending up with outdated hardware on updated machines by the time the 2010 mac pro comes out:p ...every company is moving on, Apple is left behind on hardware tech. But atleast it looks nice:rolleyes:

100bucks it ain't going to be released or talked about at the WWDC neither. I get a feeling its still going to be a few months...Apple is probably whaiting for the CPU's to get cheaper, if they would be updating now the Mac Pro's would be more expensive than they are today and even Apple must realise that this would be outrageously expensive for what you are probably going to get...besides that i don't even expect much of the update to be honost...new cpu and new graphics card but not that much better than the 60$ graphics card in current mac pro's, its still going to be a low-end graphics card.

USB 3.0 nope, Blue Ray nope...lightpeak, are you serious? maybe around 2014 if apple keeps its current reputation.....new case...mmmm maybe but i doubt it.

i do think they are going to put in a 1TB HDD and like 6GB RAM , some extra USB ports maybe?....but yeah, big deal...its the least they could do besides if they didn't than Apple's shouldn't even be taken serious anymore when it comes to Pro computers

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I personally think your wilfully spreading malicious disinformation with the sole intent of damaging Apple's commercial prospects in its professional markets.

I think Apple is doing an excellent job of damaging its commercial prospects in its professional markets on it's own.

If you MUST have OSX, then Hackintosh (with all the associated headaches) is the only way to go. For everyone else, time to get used to Windows again.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
100bucks it ain't going to be released or talked about at the WWDC neither. I get a feeling its still going to be a few months.

I'd be more than shocked if it did at this point, and I'm guessing even if it goes into the fall, it won't have lightpeak, it won't have usb 3, and most likely won't have blueray. So it's just late. So maybe just new processors. Mac is loosing is edge as far as I'm concerned, and I'm getting a little but disgusted. Back in February, I would have bet a lot of money that I wouldn't have a new iphone before a new Mac Pro.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Why can't we get a Vietnamese leak on the next Mac Pro?!:rolleyes:

I'm about ready to just get a quad iMac and then get a Mac pro when the refresh comes out and then use the quad as a display...

Ahhhh someone write steve about it.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Did you guys see this!

Originally Posted by Houston
I just found out that Mac Pro update won't come before late Summer or early Fall. This from a source who knows.

Someone over in the news thread yesterday says they won't be out for quite a while with no reasoning at all!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9969383#post9969383

Who knows if it really is someone who "knows" if anyone even does, but I'm tending to side with this idea at this point anyway. There is simply no news, no rumors, no hints and unfortunately no new mac Pro anytime soon I'm afraid. It's a big letdown. The longer this goes on, the less of a value based life cycle the hardware will end up having. It's like buying a 2010 car at full sticker price after the 2011's have been out for several months. :(

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I just heard the Mac Pro will be released at WWDC. This is from a source who knows! :)

^see how easy that was? You have absolutely zero evidence you aren't being trolled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.