New MPB or Upgrade current?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanquef, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tanquef macrumors newbie

Hey guys!!

I currently own a Mid 2009 13" MBP 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb DDR3

And reading around several posts and forums, i believe that upgrading my current hardware to 8gb ram and a Seagate Momentum 500gb Hydrid HD could be worth it, better than selling it and getting a new 2011 MBP...

What do you think?

What i mostly use on my mac is Mail app (several accounts) Chrome, Firefox (always loaded with at least 4 tabs each) Skype app, and eventually when needed Adobe Illustrator and Filezilla to upload image changes. On the background runs Log Me In, Dropbox, Music Manager (from google) and MBox (to sync hotmail accounts on mail app)

I used to have running parallels and quit doing it because it drags my mac to hell, unstable and unusable.

Hope all this helps to get your shares...

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

8gb of ram will help your machine run parallels or vmware fusion more efficiently.

Honestly, for your needs, you should just get an SSD, the new macs aren't really going to FEEL faster to you because nothing you do on your computer is processor intensive.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would just upgrade your current with that usage, you could always use the upgrade parts in another computer later on.

4. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i know that none of this stuff is computer intensive, however, what kills it is flash websites, specially the ones that streams live video, or facebook games that are flash based, makes it a lot of heat and coolers start to blow...

Since i download movies, xbox360 games, i really need the hdd space, thats why i preffer the 500gb over a 120gb ssd...

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

the new mbps aren't going to be cooler, i can assure you of that.

the ssd is really the only thing you can do to speed up your system. What about an optibay? Or put the movies and games on an external drive instead of on your internal drive.

6. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

i carry my mbp everyday from home to the office, so i preffer not to use an external drive, i already have one for the time machine backups, but i hardly use it.

I looked at several posts and youtube videos, and the hybrid hd seems a good difference vs the stock 5400rpm hdd

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Check your memory usage to see if you're exhausting your 4 GBs first.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Oops, Uncle Steve won't like that comment :)

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

why do you need your games and stuff with you at the office? Leave the external at home and use it when you need it. and i'd recommend starting to backup your drive.... will only take one failed drive where you lose everything, but I guess some people gotta learn the hard way.

If you have to go with the hybrid, but it's still not nearly as fast as a real SSD.

10. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

basically because torrents keep downloading, no matter where am i. i'm the owner of the office, plus the techie who configures everything, so my computer has all open ports on the router....:D

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

maybe you should start purchasing your movies and games rather than steal them....

I'm sure you wouldn't want people stealing from you :rolleyes:

12. patp Guest

The moral police strikes again!

13. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

there is another reality in Argentina my friend... would you pay 150 dollars for a bluray movie that costs 24.99 at best buy?

I buy all the movies i can when i travel to the US, however there are movies that are not worth the money buying it...

The same with games, with 100 american dollars as the average price...(i do have a ps3, and buy them originals when i travel as well, but i consider a ripoff what they try to charge us here.

To let you know only stats, 80% of the movies market is piracy here, think that a pirated bluray movie costs 5 dolars, vs 150, its quite a difference.

So dont get me wrong, i would be glad to pay, at an honest rate...

14. Inssomniak macrumors newbie

If you need the hard drive space, and want near SSD performance for boot times and commonly used apps, I can vouch for the seagate drive, I have the 500 gig one and its very fast for commonly used apps and boot times, plus the 500 gigs of storage.!

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it doesn't matter what your rational is, it's still illegal....

i guess if I run out of money because I think that minimum wage is too low here that i should be allowed to rob a bank because it's not fair that they don't pay me enough.

Don't get me wrong, if i got paid an honest rate, i would be glad to not rob banks.

Stupidest argument i've ever heard... there is no justification for stealing. There are other ways you can get legal copies of movies to your country for cheaper.

16. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Not familiar with Argentinian laws, maybe you are, but "piracy" certainly isn't illegal "everywhere". In fact, piracy laws are the definition of gray lines.

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you can't pirate material that's copyrighted in the US no matter what country you are in. and argentina belongs to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the World Trade Organization (WTO)

http://www1.american.edu/carmel/gg7870a/Legal.htm

18. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not my intention to offend you, but you have no idea of whats our country.

I dont know exactly the minimal wage/hr here, but i believe its around $8? lets say its $8, with 1 hour labour, you can stop at any fast food store, and buy a meal, that means its affordable, at least one time per day, to have a meal during lunch time. If you put this same into perspective vs the cost of a dvd or bluray, that will also reveal that with 3 hours labour you can buy a movie, and with 7 hours you can get a new game...

Ok, lets put this into perspective now comparing to our economy...

Our minimal labour hour is 3 dolars, for us, a meal at any fast food cost around $ 12, that means that you need 4 hours to get it, obviously, if you need half the day to pay lunch its not very logic or affordable. If i put this with a blu ray movie, i need to work 50 hours to get one, if i work 44hours per week, that means that an entire week is not allowing me to buy a ******** movie!!

Thats why piracy is so popular( you can buy the same movie with 1h40min of hard work), and will be that way until prices go to a logic way.

I know its still stealing, but its the only way affordable for our people....

19. David-fr macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

20. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no idea, have you ever been in NY? people sell movies ad music on the streets over blankets...

Well, the same concept applies here, except that they sell them in front of local grocery stores, you may say, this is illegal, why cops dont confiscate everything???

Well, cops are brided but this same guys, i have a friend who actually work on the forces, and he makes more from this guys than his actual salary, plus he gets movies for free!!

So, you must live here to know how thing works, laws are very pretty, but are only words...

21. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

people who don't support the theft of others work are obviously trolls.... i mean so obvious right? The world should be ran by thieves and pirates, we should all begin ignoring any authority and breaking all laws. Anarchy is the real answer to the worlds problems. How could I have been so stupid to think otherwise.

22. David-fr macrumors 6502

If you are multitasking a lot i would recommend getting a new MBP. The Sandy Bridge processors can handle a lot at the same time. And you won't have to worry about getting a new machine at least for another 2-3 years.

If you want to boost the machine you can later on get an SSD.

P.S Don't bother explaining the situation in South America to a 1st world country citizen. They all have 1st world issues at the most :p

23. tanquef thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry this got off hands, and i'm not a troll, i actually started the post with a concern, and i preffer to keep going that way rather than the other...

24. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

sorry last post, continue in your pirating ways...

Just because they sell it doesn't mean it's legal. Why is that so hard for you people to understand. People are murdered every day, that doesn't mean it is legal or should be allowed.

And things used to be the same way here back in the day. Corrupt cops, drug dealers, bribery, etc. Doesn't mean things should continue that way forever.

25. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

RAM is going to help you multi task more than your processor does. Multi tasking is not processor intensive if you are running itunes, mail, safari, twitter, and pages. The OP's processor is not his bottle neck for what he uses his machine for. Buying a new mbp would be a waste of money because he still has the same amount of ram and the slow hard drive.