Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

otterpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
GUESS WHAT

im on the list of winners.
how cool is that? I start the thread, and i won an ipod mini in the promotion.
This teaches us that the universe is just.

heres the lowdown. I didnt want to pay more than $175 for an ipod to replace my 5gb original model. So i scoured the ads and ebay. SO i bought one off the macrumors forums, and i was defrauded, and will not get my money back.

So i waited, and got po'd. then apple releases the new ipod mini. so i got one. i figured "well, i guess it only cost me about $350".

then, tonight, im working out of the city i live in. Work put me up in the hilton. But things werent so great. My dinner wasnt too good, i fell asleep durring American Idol. Then it happened. I woke up, watched House, MD. and checked my email. I got a "you have won" email.

THAT is why you play the game. because every joe schmo can win.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Congrats, otterpop! Nice work!

I wonder if you are still eligible in the subsequent rounds of the contest. If so, your luck might pay off again. Need another mini?

otterpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
it says you can only win once per contest. so i would assume not.
now if only the one i bought off the forums was real / was going to be sent to me. or i got my money back for it...

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
whenever I'm at work now I scour the trash cans for little yellow bottle caps. I found 2 the first day, none the next, and 2 today plus 3 from the bottles I drank yay. another worker found like 5 he will sell to me for a dollar :p

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
diamacibal said:
What is so disappointing about it is the fact that people are so eager to "boost" their odds without any remorse that, regardless if this is only a Pepsi contest, what they are doing is cheating. It's fine as long as "tilters" realize they are cheaters.

Just a little good old-fashioned honesty, please.
That's fine if you wish to look at that way. It's alright by me.

I look at it from a different point of view...

I am NOT stealing the bottle of Pepsi.

I am NOT cranking off the cap to see if it's a winner and taking the cap if it is.

I am NOT cheating Pepsi out of any money... in fact, as a Coke and Dr Pepper drinker, Pepsi is getting more money out of me vs. what I spend on Coke and Dr Pepper. If anything, it's Coke and Dr Pepper that are getting cheated since I'm not buying much of their product during this promotion.

I think Chip NoVaMac said it best:

"For myself I found a loophole that is in noway illegal at this time. And for the way I generally try to lead my life - if this is the worst thing I have done, then I may have lead a pretty decent life."

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
And I said it best after that: "It's disappointing that people are so eager to find loopholes."

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
You know, the best option would have been to put a code on every single bottle then when you type the code in the system and have it tell you if you won or not.

Makes the exhaustive ethical mindset happier knowing people can't "cheat"

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
otterpop said:
anyone else notice that the prize graphic changed? its a 6gb ipod mini.

Not to rain on your parade but I did start a thread for iPod mini winners here:

And made note that the new winners are getting the 6GB version. Again congrats. Hopefully my email will come soon...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
chillywilly said:
You know, the best option would have been to put a code on every single bottle then when you type the code in the system and have it tell you if you won or not.

Makes the exahaustive ethical mindset happier knowing people can't "cheat"

That would have made the "saints" among us very happy.

In the end Pepsi is getting as much, if not more out of me $ wise. They know what they are doing.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
While Pepsi is making more $$ from us less often Pepsi drinkers, I'm hoping for the kind of luck that otter got.

BTW, Otter... congrats on the win. :)

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
"Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."
- George Bernard Shaw

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Is it Sunday already? Don't want to be late for church :rolleyes:

If there is something you don't agree with, you don't do it. Pretty simply concept. Some people tilt, others don't. It's a choice. You've made your point. And I've made mine. Agree to disagree, mr. diamacibal

So who's going to be our next iPod winner from the Pepsi/iTunes promotion?

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
diamacibal said:
"Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."
- George Bernard Shaw
Ha ha ha!

I know I shouldn't even reply because it's just going to put more fuel on the fire, but this is just too funny! Ha ha ha... cheating because I look under a cap for about two seconds to see if there's a code under there in plain view of every clerk in every store I've ever been to. Now, a have a question for you, dear Saint. It turns out that probably 90% of the bottles I grab first off the shelf are winners, it's the first bottle I grab and it's the bottle I'm going to buy, the fact that it happens to be a winner makes me a cheater?

And I'm sorry if this offends you, but I don't believe you for a second about the whole "Holier than Thou" bit, it's just so transparent. Probably just saying things like that to get reactions, like mine. ;)

Frankly, I can't wait for this promotion to be over so I stop feeling obligated to buy a bottle of Dew every day. heh heh heh

Oh, Congrats to you Otter! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.