Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purell16

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Arrived in San Antonio, Texas

I went out and bought 35 Pepsi & Mountain Dew Bottles. 22 of those were winners!! I had to go to about 8 stores though...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
purell16 said:
I went out and bought 35 Pepsi & Mountain Dew Bottles. 22 of those were winners!! I had to go to about 8 stores though...

Did you just purchase the bottles at random or did you use the tilt bottle technique? Was the reason for 8 stores that they didn't carry the yellow cap or not enough on stock?

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
We have the iTunes Pepsi bottles at the cafeteria at work. I had to tilt 4 bottles to find a winner. I bet people thought I was insane. But who's laughing now? :)

The best way for me was to look for the word "again" (Please try again) which is written on 3 lines. It is clearly seen on the non winning bottles. If you can't spot the word "again", its likely a winner. I wasted some time trying to decipher what was the winner code on the last one. :eek:

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Richmond VA just got a huge shipment of regular Mountain Dew and Diet Pepsi iTunes bottles, not to many regular pepsi bottles though, only saw a few.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
RqThrottle said:
The best way for me was to look for the word "again" (Please try again) which is written on 3 lines. It is clearly seen on the non winning bottles. If you can't spot the word "again", its likely a winner. I wasted some time trying to decipher what was the winner code on the last one. :eek:

I think that it's worth the time to tilt the bottle. Don't really think anyone was paying attention when I did it last year.

You shouldn't be embarrassed about the difficulty reading the code. Some of they were light, that's just when a magnifying glass come in handy.

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
I've actually been able to read "Free Song" by tilting the bottle. Another thing to look for is if the cap seems to be filled with words or if you see a buncnh of letters or numbers that do not seem to form a word.

otterpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
Whyren said:
I don't see anywhere in the rules a note if and how winners of the mini sweepstakes will be contacted. Are they planning to just ship the minis to the addresses provided?

i've been wondering the same thing myself.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
RqThrottle said:
We have the iTunes Pepsi bottles at the cafeteria at work. I had to tilt 4 bottles to find a winner. I bet people thought I was insane. But who's laughing now? :)

From my experience, the easiest to read are the liter bottles. The 20oz's this year seem to be blurred a bit to inhibit reading. Among 20oz bottles though, Diet Pepsi seems easiest to read with Mountain Dew being more difficult. But that's just from bottles around here.

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
I give up...

Last year I was lucky to live in a place where the bottles were readily available; I ended up being 30 for 45 or so (with 2 cavitites as a result).

This year I'm 1 for 6 (and I wash my mouth out often, damn sugar water).

I think it's time for me to give it up and just buy the songs... they're actually cheaper than spending $1.25+tax for a pop... stick with coffee, I will...

Now it's 1 for 7...

...1 for 9...

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
This is my first year playing the Pepsi iTunes promo.

So far, I'm up to 22 free songs. Only have had 4 bottles/cups that were not winners. Everything else has been so far.

Been buying mostly 44oz cups at the local Maverik (quickie mart), since they are 99 cents and it's easy to check to see if the cup is a winner or not.

Use the tilt trick on the 1 liter Mt. Dew bottles.

Mostly the reason I am playing is to try to win an iPod Mini. The free songs are cool, but my daughter and my g/f want an iPod now that I have one.

yuck

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
ive bought 3 pepsi, and won none (this years promo) .... 1 out of 3 win..... lmao
now im back to coke.....

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
heh.. why bother with chance? all you have to do is look under the bottle cap and see if it's a winner. Surprisingly, I win every time.

;)

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
I was raised an honest person, so even if it is something as meaningless as a free-song contest, I feel it's not my place to cheat...

...also, I don't want to look like some goon in the gas station going through bottles until I find a winner...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have the best of both worlds: the thrill of cheating without the guilt. We bought a bunch of Pepsi bottles and I cheat by tipping them to pick the ones to open first out of our own collection. After all, they have a long enough shelf life, so we can use up the losers after the contest is over. Might as well get my winnings while I can.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
I have the best of both worlds: the thrill of cheating without the guilt. We bought a bunch of Pepsi bottles and I cheat by tipping them to pick the ones to open first out of our own collection. After all, they have a long enough shelf life, so we can use up the losers after the contest is over. Might as well get my winnings while I can.

What kind of winning ratio are you achieving Doctor Q? With the research study that I'm currently doing, can't really have any soda period. Coffee is a priority each morning. Think I will bypass the middleman and purchase some songs from Apple.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Personally, I don't understand how buying a soda, regardless of the tilt trick, is cheating.

If iTunes were like TVs, maybe I could see... everyhome would have at least one installed copy of iTunes. But that isn't the case and there are people who will buy the Pepsi bottles that don't care about a free song. I figure if Pepsi is giving away free songs, might as well have the best odds available.

But in the end, the soda is getting purchased... Pepsi is making money, regardless if some of are smart enough to title the bottle for 5-10 seconds in a store.

At least that's how I look at it.

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
It's an oversight on Pepsi and Apple's part, and it should have been fixed following last year. What is so disappointing about it is the fact that people are so eager to "boost" their odds without any remorse that, regardless if this is only a Pepsi contest, what they are doing is cheating. It's fine as long as "tilters" realize they are cheaters.

Just a little good old-fashioned honesty, please.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
diamacibal said:
It's an oversight on Pepsi and Apple's part, and it should have been fixed following last year. What is so disappointing about it is the fact that people are so eager to "boost" their odds without any remorse that, regardless if this is only a Pepsi contest, what they are doing is cheating. It's fine as long as "tilters" realize they are cheaters.

Just a little good old-fashioned honesty, please.

Keep in mind there are few people that don't cheat at something: 6 items in a 5 item line, waiting till the last minute to make a lane change, fudging on deductions at tax time, and what have you. I am surprised at how many saints that seem to walk among us.

I am sure that if Pepsi (Apple could care less), felt that the "tilt" was hurting them, then they would have made changes this year.

Odds boosting is nothing new. Some are legal, some are illegal. In this case as long as merchandise is not destroyed, made unsalable, or the codes made unusable; then there is nothing illegal about it.

It may go against your moral code, and that is your choice. For myself I found a loophole that is in noway illegal at this time. And for the way I generally try to lead my life - if this is the worst thing I have done, then I may have lead a pretty decent life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.