Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Think The New MacBook Pro Games?

• Total voters

imperialnavy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Now about Mass Effect 2, i can say that it will run nicely on almost maxed out details with the 330m, because the 9600m gt ran it pretty nicely too...and i didnt need to deactivate anything.. I did tune Windows 7 a lot however...(no overclocking)

How do you guys think Fallout 3 (With a lot of mods) will run with the 330m ?
On the 9600m gt it ran mostly pretty good...only lights and fog seemed to make things worse, so i promise myself quite an improvement with the new card due to more shaders...

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Now about Mass Effect 2, i can say that it will run nicely on almost maxed out details with the 330m, because the 9600m gt ran it pretty nicely too...and i didnt need to deactivate anything.. I did tune Windows 7 a lot however...(no overclocking)

On the 9600m gt it ran mostly pretty good...only lights and fog seemed to make things worse, so i promise myself quite an improvement with the new card due to more shaders...
The only problem that I see with the new MBP vs. the old one is for people upgrading from a 15" previous-gen to a 15" hi-res model. I haven't put it to the test but I would think that the increase in resolution would negate or at least diminish some of the performance gains since the 330M GT is not a whole lot faster than the 9600M GT.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
The only problem that I see with the new MBP vs. the old one is for people upgrading from a 15" previous-gen to a 15" hi-res model. I haven't put it to the test but I would think that the increase in resolution would negate or at least diminish some of the performance gains since the 330M GT is not a whole lot faster than the 9600M GT.

Lol.. running native on a high res screen would more than just negate the benefits.. you'd be going down to 8600M GT levels.

There's no other way to say it, with a price hike AND a resolution bump, the 330M GT is an astounding failure.

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
How well do these new machines (i5/i7 ) run Quake Live? Can they get a solid 125fps at say 800x600 or above?

Can I run older windows games using bootcamp ? i.e. Z: Steel Soldiers?

How do these i7 chips compare to a E2140 desktop processer?

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008

Could you provide tips or links to some of the tuning you did in Windows 7 to optimizing your computer for better performance? Thanks!

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

It depends a lot on the hardware.

I have a 9800GT (desktop) card, and it has no performance difference at all in WoW between 1024x768, no AA, and 1920x1200, 8xAA.

Because the bottleneck isn't pixel-pushing.

On my 8600M GT (2007 MBP), there's only a small amount of performance difference between 1920x1200 and 1024x768, because again, the primary bottleneck isn't pixel pushing, it's textures and polygons, and there's the same number of those regardless.

Arie

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
The Netherlands
Lol.. running native on a high res screen would more than just negate the benefits.. you'd be going down to 8600M GT levels.

There's no other way to say it, with a price hike AND a resolution bump, the 330M GT is an astounding failure.

For an occasional game the normal screen on a 15" would be better than a high resolution screen then? I am planning on purchasing a new 15" model, but I am doubting about the screen to choose. My current laptop has a resolution of 1680x1050 which is good. I am worried that the normal resolution on the new 15" will be too small to my liking.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
For an occasional game the normal screen on a 15" would be better than a high resolution screen then? I am planning on purchasing a new 15" model, but I am doubting about the screen to choose. My current laptop has a resolution of 1680x1050 which is good. I am worried that the normal resolution on the new 15" will be too small to my liking.

We won't know until we've seen some real benchmarking done on the hardware. I would guess that it wouldn't be that bad between the lower rez and the 1680x1050, but it's really hard to predict. Some hardware has plenty of pixel pushing and not enough texture hardware, some hardware has plenty of texture hardware and not enough pixel pushing. Also, it will depend on the specific game which is the limiting factor.

mdavis

macrumors member
May 11, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA

When talking about framerates, there is little doubt that the low-res will be better than the high-res. However, you're already used to the high res, and since you'll only occasionally going to be playing games I would recommend sticking with the high-res.

We won't know until we've seen some real benchmarking done on the hardware. I would guess that it wouldn't be that bad between the lower rez and the 1680x1050, but it's really hard to predict. Some hardware has plenty of pixel pushing and not enough texture hardware, some hardware has plenty of texture hardware and not enough pixel pushing. Also, it will depend on the specific game which is the limiting factor.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but note that the high-res screen has 26% more pixels. That's kind of a lot.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with you, but note that the high-res screen has 26% more pixels. That's kind of a lot.

Sure. But as I said, on slightly older desktop hardware, going to 8x as many pixels has no effect at all on framerates. I know the laptops are weaker, but when a factor of 8 doesn't matter, a factor of 1.26 probably doesn't either.

Stile

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
When talking about framerates, there is little doubt that the low-res will be better than the high-res. However, you're already used to the high res, and since you'll only occasionally going to be playing games I would recommend sticking with the high-res.

Can't you just switch the resolution of the game to 1440x900 and get essentially the same frame rate as a native 1440x900? I think the hi-res screen was the thing I was most happy about. I only wish they would have offered the 512MB VRAM upgrade on the i5 model. Looks like the performance boost of the i7 is very minimal.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Can't you just switch the resolution of the game to 1440x900 and get essentially the same frame rate as a native 1440x900? I think the hi-res screen was the thing I was most happy about. I only wish they would have offered the 512MB VRAM upgrade on the i5 model. Looks like the performance boost of the i7 is very minimal.

Anything but the native resolution on an LCD display will look significantly worse while playing games.

mdavis

macrumors member
May 11, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA

Yes you can switch the resolution down, but the problem with doing that on LCDs (as opposed to CRTs) is that the image gets very blurry as the physical display pixels are no longer in a one-to-con correspondence with the virtual resolution. Try it out on your current MB. Change the resolution down in System Preferences and the screen will get fuzzy. Unfortunately this is often the trade-off if your game don't run well at "native" resolution.

Amen though, I truly didn't expect high res screens but I waited for four months to buy my MBP (coming from a dual 1.25 G4!) and the high-res option alone was worth the wait for me!

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Sure. But as I said, on slightly older desktop hardware, going to 8x as many pixels has no effect at all on framerates. I know the laptops are weaker, but when a factor of 8 doesn't matter, a factor of 1.26 probably doesn't either.

All I know is on my 2008 unibody Modern Warfare 1 & 2 both play much better at 1280X800 compared to 1440X900. If I play at full res I can't use max settings or any AA.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
All I know is on my 2008 unibody Modern Warfare 1 & 2 both play much better at 1280X800 compared to 1440X900. If I play at full res I can't use max settings or any AA.

Yeah. I think the thing is that my desktop system is totally CPU-bound, so there's a ton of spare headroom for the video card.

Until we know more about the 330M's bandwidth and capacity, we won't know how resolution-dependent it is. (The good news is, I've always been using 1920x1200 on the Mac, so if it's any better, it'll be better for me even if it would be faster still at a lower res.)

RcktMan77

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I would like to have the ability to utilize both graphics chipsets--discrete and integrated--when playing games. Seems that running both graphics processors wouldn't push the TDP too high for the enclosure, but perhaps I'm wrong...

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I would like to have the ability to utilize both graphics chipsets--discrete and integrated--when playing games. Seems that running both graphics processors wouldn't push the TDP too high for the enclosure, but perhaps I'm wrong...

Wouldn't help. You'd have to duplicate a ton of information from one to the other, at which point you'd be losing more to bandwidth costs than you'd be getting back from the low-power GPU.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Isn't this argument basically saying that gaming on the 17" will be inherently worse than the high-end 15"? They have the same graphics card and VRAM, and same CPU if you upgrade the 17", but the 17" is 1920X1200.

mdavis

macrumors member
May 11, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Isn't this argument basically saying that gaming on the 17" will be inherently worse than the high-end 15"? They have the same graphics card and VRAM, and same CPU if you upgrade the 17", but the 17" is 1920X1200.

Yes, that's correct IF you run at 1920x1200 in the game (which obviously looks best).

As an example, I _had_ a last-gen (Mid 2009) MPB 15 (returned it in Jan at 13 days to wait for the new ones!) and I also have a 23" Cinema Display (1920x1200). Running, say, COD4 on the MBP's 1440x900 in multiplayer was great, plugging in the Cinema and going 1920x1200 sucked. The same will happen with the 17 unfortunately. :( But hey, once you break the non-native resolution barrier (turn it down from max) you can go pretty low and not really see a huge difference in the fuzzieness, so just put your 17 at 1440x900 or even lower and most games should run pretty well with the texture/detail setting pretty high. Ain't much else you can do for a sharp image but get a 15" with low-res screen.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
My brand new Macbook Pro i7 stock edition just got a 3DMark06 score of 6763. Not too bad.... but at PCMag they were able to get the i5 version to score 7371. I wonder what the reason is for the discrepancy?

I wouldn't pay that article too much attention. They say the 330m "pummeled" its predecessor, but they were comparing it to the 9400m :rolleyes:

Also, were you running in native resolution? Because they scored much lower when running at native resolution. The 7371 was scored at 1024x768.

quackquack

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
I wouldn't pay that article too much attention. They say the 330m "pummeled" its predecessor, but they were comparing it to the 9400m :rolleyes:

Also, were you running in native resolution? Because they scored much lower when running at native resolution. The 7371 was scored at 1024x768.

Ahh that explains it. I ran it at the "standard" 1280x1024, the only resolution allowed by the basic edition.

In terms of actual games - Fallout 3 runs between 30 and 60 fps on "high" settings at 1280x720 resolution, but with AA turned off. Average FPS of around 40-45. I haven't tried at 1400x900, but I suspect it would still be playable.

L4D2 I was able to basically max out, again with no AA, and my FPS never dropped below 28.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.