Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Macrumors said:
Mac OS X 10.3.3 contains evidence of support for a new PowerMac revision:

10.3.2's Localizable.strings only had one model listed:

"PowerMac7,2" = "Power Mac G5";

10.3.3 has:

"PowerMac7,2" = "Power Mac G5";
"PowerMac7,3" = "Power Mac G5";

That's pretty cool find there. The revisions really don't affect me becuase I have been using daul 2gig G5 since october. I hope that the new ones top out at close to 3gigs though, that would be awsome.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
could the difference be related to the different processor? one would think that the new PM's would use the 970FX like in teh xServes. maybe the os update is for that.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I've got this far with my 733 Digital Audio... I think, er hope, I can resist this new line until the 3ghz's come out. The moneys in the bank ready to be spent.. ohhhhh boy.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Steven1621 said:
could the difference be related to the different processor? one would think that the new PM's would use the 970FX like in teh xServes. maybe the os update is for that.

The machine ID for the Xserve G4's says RackMac not PowerMac. I don't think that it is an xserve, unless its the G5 xserve, but probably not.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
This is also in 10.3.3

"PowerMac6,1" = "iMac";

Can anyone confirm this and see if it is in 10.3.2? If not it looks like a new iMac has been added to the list, possibly G5? I don't know since I don't have 10.3.2 anymore.

el_aarono

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
USA
???

So what do the numbers mean?

Does the 2 in "PowerMac 7,2" mean 2 ghz? If so, then the 3 in "PowerMac

7,3" could mean 3 ghz. Or do those numbers refer to something else....

......maybe rev. number?

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
A pretty good indication that 10.3.3 had to be released before a new PM. If that's the case I would bet they are loading a lot of PMs right now for an announcement very soon - like next week or the next.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
could someone run xBench or something and check their revision number of their PowerMac G5? Also, someone with an iMac do the same? This could confirm or deny this finding as meaningful.

Thank you and good night.

appleface

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2003
West Texas
is ibm expected to continue to increase clock speeds on the 970, or is ibm expected to now concentrate only on increasing the speed of the 970fx?

Steven1621 said:

etype

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
"PowerMac6,1" = "iMac" in 10.3.2?

dukemeiser said:
This is also in 10.3.3
Can anyone confirm this and see if it is in 10.3.2? If not it looks like a new iMac has been added to the list, possibly G5? I don't know since I don't have 10.3.2 anymore.

In 10.3.2:

"PowerMac6,1" = "iMac";​
Sorry.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Steven1621 said:

I think that's right. Someone pointed out on the Cube list that there are two codenames for the Cube, "Trinity" with the 7400 and "Rubicon" with the 7410, and I noticed that there were two entries for the Cube in the list of strings from which these came. Ergo, the 970FX machines get a new entry.

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
How do we know this is talking about the next model of G5's, there are already two! They changed a few things and now the G5's break a little less often. The differences aren't that visible, but if you look at the screws holding the processor in, the older ones have philips head screws and the newer ones have hex screws, and when ordering service parts from apple you have to buy a different version of the processor for each model.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
MentalFabric said:
How do we know this is talking about the next model of G5's, there are already two! They changed a few things and now the G5's break a little less often. The differences aren't that visible, but if you look at the screws holding the processor in, the older ones have philips head screws and the newer ones have hex screws, and when ordering service parts from apple you have to buy a different version of the processor for each model.

We know because we are comparing differences in OS revisions when the new dual 1.8GHz G5 existed. This is a completely new descriptor for the OS and has not been used to date to describe any of the current PowerMacs. It makes sense that Apple is ready to release the next upgrade, it has been about 6 Months since volume shipments of the dual G5 started. It seems longer only because Apple pre-announced the original models, but volume shipments really didn't start till mid to late September.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
MentalFabric said:

I am not sure they have to update the software for hex screws???

But, you do have a good point that it may be revision to refine the current model.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
el_aarono said:
So what do the numbers mean?

Does the 2 in "PowerMac 7,2" mean 2 ghz? If so, then the 3 in "PowerMac

7,3" could mean 3 ghz. Or do those numbers refer to something else....

......maybe rev. number?

I was wondering the same thing. If the 3 was referring to Rev. number, then it would seem that we would be on Rev. C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.