Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Laslo Panaflex said:
How can apple legal get involved? They are in their own service manuals that have been released by apple, it's not like the pictures have been stolen. Probably leaked on purpose to create hype ala leaked G5 specs on the web last year.

Just because apple released them doesn't necessarily give other websites the right to publish them on their webpages. Apple legal could get any website to take down any copyrighted material they want.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
i hope this isnt real...although considering its on apples site i suppose it must be...but i dont like the new pics....there dont appear to be many changes...nothing like the specs that were posted on page 2 a while back. and whats with 4 ram slots? 2gb sticks are wicked expensive...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Give me a link to these new manuals on Apple's website and then I believe this is true! The big heatsink could mean the new fluid coolingsystem. There where rumors about them a while back for such a thing in a powerbook. It also explains the big gap on the left of the pictures. It could be some sort of arconditioning thing that fits in there (not harddisks!!).

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
Dreadnought said:
Give me a link to these new manuals on Apple's website and then I believe this is true! The big heatsink could mean the new fluid coolingsystem. There where rumors about them a while back for such a thing in a powerbook. It also explains the big gap on the left of the pictures. It could be some sort of arconditioning thing that fits in there (not harddisks!!).

I think those documents are not publicly accessible on the apple.com site.
But maybe a tech guy could post a screenshot while showing the document in a safari browser or some other confirmation of genuinity (or how do you write that? :))

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
bar italia said:
So why exactly is this "great" news? Be specific.

because-because-because-because!!! :p I'll choose to be hopeful and keep the faith, than to become sourpusses like yous! :D

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
grabberslasher said:
Very interesting. I only see 4 Ram slots though... Maybe this is just the low end model...

Cool, this must mean an all-dual lineup.

Actually, I think that means each RAM slot can hold larger capacity chips (2GB per slot?) Rumors have indicated that the new RAM would be no less than PC3200, which is what they use in the XServe (more or less).

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I personally think these pics are fake, and a good fake at that, the reasons why:

1. The Motherboard is TOO small, why would apple do that, my only explaination to decrease the size of Motherboard is for something like the iMac G5
2. Only 4 RAM Slots, this is too little, if they have the space in this case, why not use it....... more hard disk space, extra drive bay etc.
3. Vertical RAM slots, apple wouldn't do this, they need the air flow, for cooling, even if the HUGE heatsink takes up all the heat, it still needs to be moved somewhere; and the cover would restrict the loss of heat by convection out the side....
4. The motherboard does not have a sense of belonging in these pics, it doesn't seem to fit.

Well that is what i think, if you think i am wrong don't give me S***.

DjVoTeZ

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Alright, I know that a lot of you had to be expecting me to chip in on this, so here I am, ready and willing to interpret what those pictures might meam. I've been advocating the idea that the PowerMac G5 - as we know it - could be dropped down to the lower end and replaced with a newer system that answers some of the complaints about the older chassis. The obvious thing to do would be to keep the design basically as it is, but make a couple of revisions while you're moving to the 90nm part.

If you stop to think about it, Apple has long been in the game of making the quietest computer that they can. In the picture of the supposed newer motherboard design, we see only 4 RAM banks and a reductionin the number of fans, and this would actually be in line with the creation of a single processor consumer tower. The large heatsink cover is there to transfer more heat without the need for the fans, and I could see at least three fans being eliminated in this case - two intake fans in front of the processors and one behind, where a dual would have a second exhaust fan. That means that the machine is down to six instead of nine, and likely quieter when you factor in that the 970FX is roughly a 50% reduction in heat at the same speed, leaving a single 2.0ghz as a relatively cool (for a desktop) 24.9 watts typical expenditure. The question now is whether that slot above the heatsink is AGP 8x or PCI Express, because that would be the final piece of the puzzle. The inclusion of a PCI Express would go a long way to mollifying those who constantly cry about the lack of graphics cards, especially if Apple cuts a deal with ATI to get those spanking new x300, x600, and x800 cards to be available.

So... This could be a dual-processor 970FX, but if is, then I don't expect any speedbumps at all, because they're cutting fans out, and ramping up the core clock would start taking the 90nm part up towards its old heat, to the point that I think a 2.6-3.0ghz machine would be pushing 40-50 watts again and need the same cooling system.

charlesc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Sources also note the apparent disappearance of the front inlet fans cooling the CPUs

This is pure guessing (more fuel for the fire), but... No front inlet fans, smaller motherboard = less heat = smaller chip? = 90nm = 970fx? (xserve = smaller/less heat = 90nm = 970fx)

If a 9XX power 5 variant really exists, and it is at 130nm like the power 5, how could it require less cooling in this case? Damn I was really hoping for this mystery 975 or whatever, but if these are real photo's.. hmm. It could be a single proc though, if real.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Apple Legal Strikes Again

I can't pull up the enlarged view of the pictures. They all give a broken image link on a page. All I can look at are the small versions in the article.

Oh, and poo on no dual optical drives!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
I don't get it, where did the big fans in front of the processors go? I only see what looks like one now?

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
SeaFox said:
I can't pull up the enlarged view of the pictures.
:)
G5Service.jpg

autrefois

macrumors 65816
gensor said:
Does Macrumors get all its news from AppleInsider?

Appleinsider has just announced that Macrumors receives all of its rumors from Appleinsider. In fact, they correctly predicted that Macrumors will post this story, as well.

;)

But seriously, Macrumors has been really good in the past. I think that there simply isn't anything out there right now—probably due to delays in PM development and maybe in light of a couple recent snafus (including the infamous posting of PM specs early). Maybe Jobs has said that heads will roll if anything gets leaked by any means.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Nice. I like the bigger heat block. It must make a difference since they removed some fans or is the reduction of fans due to the 90nm processors?

WWDC 04 will be will so on!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
autrefois said:
But seriously, Macrumors has been really good in the past. I think that there simply isn't anything out there right now—probably due to delays in PM development and maybe in light of a couple recent snafus (including the infamous posting of PM specs early). Maybe Jobs has said that heads will roll if anything gets leaked by any means.

We go with the flow.

At one point people "complained" that a lot of news came from MacBidouille. Meanwhile, Appleinsider was out-of-action for a couple of years.

I'm sure in a year or so, someone will post "does MacRumors get all its news from xyz.com?"

arn

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
New Powermas

There certainly is a lot more room in the front of the chassis now. Doesn't look like Dual Opticals are coming. I have always felt like Dual Opticals were something that relatively few people were really looking for. That area that's opened up now would easily hold two more drives however. Guess I'll have to wait an see if Apple just leaves that as a cavern or does something with it.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
macridah said:
Nice. I like the bigger heat block. It must make a difference since they removed some fans or is the reduction of fans due to the 90nm processors?

WWDC 04 will be will so on!
I'm not sure it's all heat sink. Maybe the fans are under the shroud? Besides that thing would weigh a bloody ton! I'd need a new reinforced desk to hold a PM with a heatsink that big :eek:

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
this is obviously more proof that there will be new Powerbook G5's next week! (j/k) :D
Joking aside, this does look very interesting. I wonder if that giant heat sink is actually sort type of heat pipe internally, covered over by a big fancy face plate. A giant heat pipe like that with heat being exhausted to the rear could explain why they are dropping the front fans. It might also allow them to use 3GHz 970fx's in there without the additional fans. Just my 0.02 though.It does appear from those document however that they have not addressed the issue of 'limited' expansion for extra cd/rw or dvd/rw drives. Granted that was never an issue for me, but I did hear a lot of old G4 Quicksilver users complain about it.
As for that quad comment, we can only dream but IMO it would be extremely unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.