New PowerMacs and More on Tuesday?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,419
8,491


Appleinsider reports that new PowerMacs have begun shipping to select Apple retail stores.

The upcoming PowerMacs are reported to be Dual 2.0GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz models equipped with dual-layer DVD burners.

This report is consistent with the most recent rumors on long anticipated PowerMac updates, and are expected to arrive April 26th, as recently hinted.

The web is also abuzz of extended ship times (5-7days) on eMacs and iMacs suggestive of updates.
 

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
380
98
Washington, DC.
I bought my DP 2.0 at the beginning of Dec. I'm glad I made it this long before the update. I feel good about my purchase and it would have driven me nuts to wait unti now.

It should be a nice update for those planning to buy.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
w00t! The top end might not be a huge upgrade (who cares, Intel is having equal troubles, nyah nyah x86!), but it's a VERY nice upgrade for the low end. People who want a $2000 or $2500 PowerMac, now is the time to buy.

Dual layer burners, as well.

And further, this also means Stevie might have something really big saved for June. A fifth PowerMac model with dual dual core processors at $3500 perhaps? It would fit with the current lineup.
 

brandon6684

Guest
Dec 30, 2002
538
0
I'm holding out for the iMac and iBook updates, then I'll have to decide between those two, although I'd really like a Mac mini with a 64MB video card and 512MB RAM standard.
 

Duujo

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
24
0
Melbourne
?

Do iBooks get a look in anywhere here??

Even though if they were updated they'd almost catch up to the PowerBook's CPU speed, but i'm giving a friend advice to buy a mac laptop, and i've got him to hold out for Tiger so far.. i'm not sure if i should get him to wait for an iBook update...
 

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
446
0
Outback Australia
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

If they wanted to piss us off why didn't they just release Dual 2.6GHZ's. Why does TS have to be right, hopefully these rumours are just based off what TS said, and hopefully they are wrong. (There is alot of hoping going on). I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Looks like Steve will be wearing kevlar at WWDC. No 3GHZ?
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
Apple's finally coming to fruition after about eight months of nothing (pun not really intended). What with all these software updates, releasing Tiger and now this. :D I really hope it's true.
 

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
541
0
Chicago (by way of SF)
GFLPraxis said:
And further, this also means Stevie might have something really big saved for June. A fifth PowerMac model with dual dual core processors at $3500 perhaps? It would fit with the current lineup.
What it means is that the PMs are getting a minor speed boost and updated opticals. Could this get any more boring?!

Gees, a year ago we were talking about reaching 3.0 by Spring -- maybe Summer at the latest.
 

HelloKitty

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
38
0
Manchester, NH
What is the "CPU Related Announcement" mentioned in AppleInsider's article?..It looks fishy..

Well..still hoping to see a 970MP machine..keep working, Apple!
 

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
134
0
Los Angeles
Duujo said:
Do iBooks get a look in anywhere here??

Even though if they were updated they'd almost catch up to the PowerBook's CPU speed, but i'm giving a friend advice to buy a mac laptop, and i've got him to hold out for Tiger so far.. i'm not sure if i should get him to wait for an iBook update...
iBook shipping dates, along with iMac G5's, have been given extended periods. Doesn't say anything for sure but telling your friend to hold out is pretty solid advice.
 

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
89
0
Well...it is nice to hear about upgrades but they
still out of my next purchase...anything
above 1800 is out of range...at least until another
renegotiation with my wife :p
 

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
446
0
Outback Australia
HelloKitty said:
What is the "CPU Related Announcement" mentioned in AppleInsider's article?..It looks fishy..

Well..still hoping to see a 970MP machine..keep working, Apple!
Good pickup, my faith is restored, slightly. I still want a Dual Core too. Don't know how much faster it would really be, but it's the POWER line and both POWER lines need soome POWER right now.

I'm going out on the weakest limb on the tree saying

Dual Dual Core 2.7GHZ 1gb 250GB X800 256(AGP) $2999
Dual Dual Core 2.3GHZ 512mb 160GB 6600 128(AGP) $2399
Dual Core 2.0GHZ 512mb 80GB 9600 128(AGP) $1799

DEATH TO THE SINGLE CORE FANBOYS
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Josh396 said:
Any chance these dual layer burners will make it into the iMac?
Probably at some point, possibly with the next update. Apple has been pretty good about keeping the burner technology moving along in each product line.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Good to see the updates are coming, but a minimal speed increase and dual layers drives isn't much to get excited about. I guess it depends how Apple prices them.

I'm holding out for iBook updates once Tiger is out and shipping - I think we'll see all these updated systems (PowerMacs, iBooks, eMacs, iMacs) in the near future, and they are being held back so that they can ship with Tiger.