Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA

Well jezzzz if those updates are of 970fx variety then I certainly wasted my time waiting for almost 6 months:S anyway, as far as the 3GHZ promise goes (I really dont think that IBM can just walk away from its promises without consequences as I am guessing they HAD to tell Jobs they were at or close to 3GHZ when the first 970s were announced) , it supposedly isnt going to happen with the current 970 design (Power4 derivative) so I am guessing that 970MP is just some project gone bad OR maybe IBM promissed something to Apple for that 3Ghz mishap so that right now they are just stretching the 970 technology and 2006 potentially can be a really interesting year processorwise for Apple as the Power5 derivative and Cell might show on horizon (imagine a single dual core Power5 derivative along with an Apple friendly Cell like coprocessor to assist in the year of HD proclamation)... I maybe a dreamer but all those technologies are not really that far off and IF the predicted updates will feature 970FX processors then its safe to bet we will see the last of Power4 derived technology and probably move to Power5 and/or Cell like, as it is a dead end technology as was Pentium4 so there is no point in investing more money in it and its time to realocate the resources towards something that will actually bring more PROs towards the Mac platform instead of constantly discouraging them...

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Los Angeles
HUGE UPDATE... if dual core

d.perel said:
Wait...all of them are Dual processor equipped? not bad, but I hope the price won't increase too much...No 970MP multi cored chip?

Though the clock speed increases are small, they would be substantial updates with dual core processors under the hood. Look at the stats on the Pentium extreme and the dual core Opterons, they have scaled back clock speeds and post huge performance gains with the dual cores. My bet would be on at least one model representing the dual core 970mp. The two other large chip makers in the world just released dual core processors within the past month; it would make sense that IBM would as well this month or by the summer. With that being said, we all know the difficulties Apple is had with its CPUs for the past few years. I hope and pray that IBM pulls through and can deliver the next generation of chips now when it is relative and not next year.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
good reporting just bad news. i feel terrible for all those people out there who have been waiting every tuesday for the last 4 or 5 monthes eagerly waiting a PM update. (i realize it has been almost 10 monthes but not too many people were biting their fingernails in november) i also feel bad for the people out there who actually NEED the hardware on the bleeding edge. this post is based on apple releasing 200 mhz of speed increase and a bit better dvd burner. we will have to see though, maybe apple will blow our minds.

my 2c

woodsie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
hmmm..

seems odd they'd release an update so close to all the Tiger hooplah.

anyway, i hope this rumor comes true. can't wait! :)

FlyNolJ

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Hellpot Az
this blows...

I just used the same title I used for another thread. But, this really does blow. Pricing better be at 1,500 or else I'm pissed and so is everyone else. :eek: So f*** you apple.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
Where did the 2.5 go?

Is this a sign that the 2.5's are not reliable? Why skip them? Will the 2.7 not have liquid cooling? Is there something wrong with the Liquid Cooling Systems? Are we gonna see a huge influx of 2.5's on ebay?
Whats everyones take on skipping the 2.5? :confused:
Yet the same 2.0 has been around FOREVER!!!!
Why not 2.3, 2.5 & 2.7??
Something doesnt sound right to me!

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
J-Squire said:
I don't quite understand the logic behind these comments. As Mac faithful, we are ALL aware of the components within the CPU that make up overall performance, other than clockspeed. We have chanted Megahertz myth for years, in order to protect ourselves from the taunts of Intel bullies.

So why would you think we are upset purely over the fact that we are only at 2.7GHz compared to AMD's 2.6GHz chips. We are not upset about the number 2.7, relative to the competition. We are upset about 2.7 relative to 2 point freekin 5. Or even 3 point zero! A 200MHz increase in a year! come on! A promise of 3GHz a year ago, and we're still not there!??

THAT, my friend, is what we're upset aboot (scottish accent for no apparent reason).

going back to page 2, i FIRMLY agree with this statement. Squire hit it right on the head. its not so much that 2.7 ghz is too slow for us, its just that 200 mhz is too little of an inprovement for 10 monthes.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
sucks

its been almost a year of engineering, and we're only getting 200 Mhz? Meanwhile, x86 has breached 3.8 Ghz and is now beating Apple to the dual-core game (even though 2 processors is better than dual cores anyways because you have double the cache).

This is a really big letdown. I would have expected 2.7 Ghz with dual cores, or 3 Ghz single cores. Optical drive is a snoozer because I already have a nice LaCie drive that does 16x plus Dual Layer.

...let me cry some more...

Oh well, Apple will release what they will release, and we will buy it anyways, because we can't stand Windoze.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
longofest said:
its been almost a year of engineering, and we're only getting 200 Mhz? Meanwhile, x86 has breached 3.8 Ghz and is now beating Apple to the dual-core game (even though 2 processors is better than dual cores anyways because you have double the cache).

This is a really big letdown. I would have expected 2.7 Ghz with dual cores, or 3 Ghz single cores. Optical drive is a snoozer because I already have a nice LaCie drive that does 16x plus Dual Layer.

Oh well, Apple will release what they will release, and we will buy it anyways, because we can't stand Windoze.

AMD dual core processors have an individual cache for each core...

TracerBullet

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2005
LGRW3919 said:
going back to page 2, i FIRMLY agree with this statement. Squire hit it right on the head. its not so much that 2.7 ghz is too slow for us, its just that 200 mhz is too little of an inprovement for 10 monthes.

While it has been 10 months for this upgrade, is it safe to assume it might be another 10 months (or more) until we see another improvement/complete redesign?

I think apple is doing the best they can given what IBM can provide for them... and I would also imagine that no matter what they give us, there will always be someone who disapproves of the system for some reason. So what if they give us dual-duals, new graphics busses, ddr2-667, 32 gig capabilities for ram, etc. etc. all maxed out. they would also give us a price tag that was maxed out to match those specs, and many people would bitch that apple isn't price competitive enough....

trust me, I would love a loaded machine, but I think the elusive perfect machine isn't out there - there will always be something better to replace it.

nagusjim

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
Tattoo said:
Is this a sign that the 2.5's are not reliable? Why skip them? Will the 2.7 not have liquid cooling? Is there something wrong with the Liquid Cooling Systems? Are we gonna see a huge influx of 2.5's on ebay?
Why not 2.3, 2.5 & 2.7??

I suspect it's to maintatin profit margins. The 2.3 is probably still too expensive to manufacture for it to b e a candidate for the entry-level machine, and they don't want to increase the size of the lineup.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
JRM PowerPod said:
SHIPPING TIMES

PowerMac's 1-3 Days
PowerBook 1-3
iBook 1-3
Mac mini 1-3

eMac 5-7
iMac 5-7

What does this mean

a) PowerMacs are updated tomorrow can ship immediately
b) PowerBook - just due to Tiger (no updates) (HD screen?)
c) IBook and Mac mini - Ram possibly updated - CPU? Or maybe just due to tiger as well.

d) eMac and iMac are both 5-7 days. This would seem as if they will be updated when Tiger is released on Friday.

Just my interpretation of the unfolding events
I doubt that the Powerbooks would be updated with an HD screen unless it was at an event, and they just received speed bumps a few months ago. iBooks have gone longer without upgrades, as well as iMacs. The Mac Mini and maybe eMacs could be soon too, but im thinking Powerbooks and iBooks at one of the next big Apple shows. :)

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
New eMac's and iMac's!

Thank the lord Apple has decided to update the eMac!!! In it's current form, it was starting to look very, very stale. The iMac with upgraded G5, Video Card, etc. will also be great. But I think the PM updates stink!! I mean, we should be hitting around 3GHz since Steve told us in June, 2003 we would have a 3GHz PM by Summer 2004. Where is this PM at? If they do have it, can I see what the specs are? ;)

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Suprise...

HelloKitty said:
What is the "CPU Related Announcement" mentioned in AppleInsider's article?..It looks fishy..

Well..still hoping to see a 970MP machine..keep working, Apple!

What about a SINGLE proc. 3GHZ with dualcore? I could see Apple selling that for $3299.00.

I.

dosers

macrumors member
Not at all. The 2.0 and 2.3 are simply existing Processors (the 2.3 from the server line). The 2.7 is identical to the 2.5, with 200Mhz higher clockspeed - and if it's an FX will most definetely have the liquid cooling. There really hasn't been any real problem with the liquid cooling, even though people loved to speculate on wet carpets and such ;-)

Tattoo said:
Why not 2.3, 2.5 & 2.7??

dosers

macrumors member
dual core vx dual CPU

Actually, a Dual Core processor is, if designed correctly, inherintly more efficient than Dual CPUs. Dual CPUs have to communicate with each other on a bus (even though the PMs is very fast), as well as with the memory (even if the bus is seperate, this tends to be quite slow, even on speed king AMD - in comparison to core speed).
Dual Core CPUs, which should have seperate caches (both Intel and AMD do) have by definition the most efficient way to communicate with each other. As long as they can address the bus seperately they have the POTENTIAL to be better than a same-speed Dual Processor.
d

longofest said:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
J-Squire said:
So why would you think we are upset purely over the fact that we are only at 2.7GHz compared to AMD's 2.6GHz chips. We are not upset about the number 2.7, relative to the competition. We are upset about 2.7 relative to 2 point freekin 5. Or even 3 point zero! A 200MHz increase in a year! come on! A promise of 3GHz a year ago, and we're still not there!??

THAT, my friend, is what we're upset aboot (scottish accent for no apparent reason).

The entire industry has hit a wall. I'm tired of hearing about the "we were promised 3GHz a year ago" thing.

What if the new PowerMacs (or at least the top ones) are dual-core, dual-CPUs? Will you people still be saying "bah, four cores but still not 3GHz, how lame"?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Plastic Chicken said:
Sorry to dash everybody's hopes, but here's a bit of Mac Rumor wisdom:

The most pessimistic rumors are often the correct ones.

Ok, let me jinx it for you all:

There WILL be dual-core, dual-CPUs.

But they'll run at 500MHz per core. :D

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
OK... I have a question for the people in this thread. How many people, other than me, are actually planning to purchase a new Mac and are only waiting to see if Apple makes any announcements to coincide with Tiger's release?

I am going to order a Power Mac G5 system, but I want to see if they do make announcements. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.