New RMBP's coming with Samsung screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intz2nu, Dec 3, 2012.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Anyone here know if any of the BTO's ordered since middle of November are coming with Samsung displays? Or is it still LG's?

2. mrvectrex macrumors newbie

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Damn I just read in another thread of someone having purchased 15" model 20th or so of Nov. that was a BTO I think, and they said it had came with a Samsung. I guess I got my hopes too high.

4. millerrh macrumors 6502

5. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I took delivery of a BTO rMBP on 14th Nov. Thankfully it has a Samsung screen - as almost all BTO units I heard mentioned around this time on the forum.

6. lebbeus macrumors newbie

7. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

Got mine today. It is an LG. So far it is perfect. Very nice display. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'd rather not return and play the display lottery, but I don't want to have issue pop up after the return period. I'm just going to keep it until the beginning of January, and decide then.

I'm kind of hoping I see some image retention before January so that I can get it replaced and have some peace of mind, but then again, maybe I'll never see it.

Other than that this is a great machine. I've been working on it all day, and it is fantastic.

8. millerrh macrumors 6502

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Just got my LG on Friday. Re-ran a 10 minute checkerboard test today...nothing. I know that they say it takes some time for the issue to develop. Luckily we have until the beginning of January. Maybe they finally fixed the production issues of the LGs...but most likely we'll just see the IR turn up later.

9. AndyDiamond macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

CTO ordered Black Friday - arrived today so will check it and let you know.

10. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

Let me know what you end up doing. I'm wondering if not all displays actually do this. Or maybe of the people complaining of this issue, are trying to force the issue. I haven't decided yet. I have no doubt that Apple will replace the display once it happens. But I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I'm curious to see what Apple does in the next version. Will they switch panels, or keep the current ones?

11. youyou macrumors member

Got my BTO today and came with a LG screen.
    Screen looks perfect to me.
    What are the signs to look for?
    I really don't get this whole LG vs Samsung thing. Makes the whole experience so much worse.
    I wish i never came on Macrumors!! lol

12. washburn macrumors 6502

How did you find out yours was LG?

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

Had my RMBP for several months now. There are definitely IR issues (through normal usage) that I didn't see in the first few months.

14. Acronyc, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Acronyc macrumors 6502

My first CTO 15" rMBP was a LG manufactured in October, while my second one (a replacement due to an issue with the first) was a Samsung. In my limited time with both machines so far I've found that both screens are equally impressive.

15. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

This is quite interesting to know as some of you with BTO's are getting Sams and some LG's. Now as for the people getting LG's, please post if your unit is a BTO or the standard. Maybe this will help sort the majority out of who and who is getting the Sams and the LG's.

16. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

Mine is BTO 2.6/16/256

----------

Did you go in to get it replaced?

17. millerrh macrumors 6502

18. haigie macrumors newbie

What is BTO?

I ordered on the 28th Nov, appears to have come directly from the factory, LG panel. No issues yet...

19. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

BTO (Built-To-Order) - when you choose standard configuration
    CTO (Customized-To-Order) - when you choose some additional upgrades as well

20. AndyDiamond macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

21. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Well I have been labouring under false impressions ..... I always thought BTO was as u call it "customised" :/

22. millerrh macrumors 6502

I always thought this too. Build to order implies that they build it according to the requirements of your order. I think when people talk about BTO or CTO they are talking about the same thing.

23. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

So, let me get this straight. You bought a rMBP that is 100% working condition, flawless. But you kind of want it to develop defects so you can let it be repaired or exchanged? eh, ok.

--

Mine is Samsung, but then again, mine is from August!

24. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

BTO and CTO are completely interchangeable terms.

25. millerrh macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat and completely understand. there are tons of people on these threads who take it in to the Apple store only to be told that it is "within spec" and denied a replacement. That is the worst outcome. If it's going to have problems I'd rather have them pop up during the return period so that I can always return the thing if they refuse to play ball.