Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a customized rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/256 wait to be opened back at home. Will look-up the screen when i get home tomorrow.
Hope for a good screen, since i need to work with graphic and pictures.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I have a customized rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/256 wait to be opened back at home. Will look-up the screen when i get home tomorrow.

This is the spec rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/768 I am going to order and I hope by the time I order mine all the LG's would be gone. I am thinking end of this month I will place my order and HOPE HOPE I get a Samsung display....

I really thought after Nov 24th anyone who BTO would end up with a Samsung screen automatically...I guess thats not the case anymore....

----------

CTO 2.7/16/768
Ordered 23 Nov

LG screen

Do you think if you waited until the end of Nov 30th you would have got the Samsung screen? I just figured they would have got all the LG out of the factory by now....and stick with Samsung until they resolve the issue with LG screens...... This is why we need STEVE JOBS!!! No one can do it like him...

anode

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I have a rMBP 15", manufactured 2012/11/08 that has the Samsung screen. :eek:

It was ordered on black friday, drop shipped from China, delivered the following Friday.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Just got mine Friday and it's got an LG.

Can you return it and ask for a Samsung either calling Apple or going into the store if its less then 14days? I mean they can not deny you for that right? Instead of them replacing the LG panel with a Samsung Screen....

----------

I have a rMBP 15", manufactured 2012/11/08 that has the Samsung screen. :eek:

It was ordered on black friday, drop shipped from China, delivered the following Friday.

You got lucky.... =) Whats the difference if it comes from China or California?

anode

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I suppose that the manufacturing date is what is important.

If it came from a California distribution center, the manufacturing date may not have been as recent as the one from China.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I suppose that the manufacturing date is what is important.

If it came from a California distribution center, the manufacturing date may not have been as recent as the one from China.

So are you saying that if it came from California then its LG and if it came from China its Samsung?

anode

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I'm saying that mine was manufactured on November 8, 2012, ordered on November 23, 2012, was shipped to me from a distribution center in China, and it came with the Samsung display.

I don't know if they are installing LG screens one day and Samsung the next. If they are exclusively using the Samsung screens now, then getting a unit that was manufactured in November is a good thing.

If there is older stock in other distribution centers, then that might explain why someone who placed an order around the same time, might get one with an LG screen.

I've ordered a number of Apple computers over the years. The first being an Apple II in 1979. This is the first one that wasn't shipped from California.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I got one manufactured in November (week 48) and it has an LG screen. So they are still using both.

skydesigner

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Just got mine. Ordered 27th November (week 48/49)

Today I got my third (!) rMBP. First two where Samsungs screens. But had very bad screen uniformity (yellow edges).
This time (always the same config: 2,3/16/256) I got an LG. No IR after 10 minutes. But its not as bright and it also doesn´t have a uniform screen. The middle is significant brighter as the left and especially the right side.

I´ll send this one back, too and forget about the rMBP. I mean... for 1000 EUR you might accept that is is not perfect. And I truely believe you could just use it and WORK..... but this thing is so expansive. I want it to be perfect. Otherwise I could really buy a 700 EUR (I´m from Germany) notebook.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Today I got my third (!) rMBP. First two where Samsungs screens. But had very bad screen uniformity (yellow edges).
This time (always the same config: 2,3/16/256) I got an LG. No IR after 10 minutes. But its not as bright and it also doesn´t have a uniform screen. The middle is significant brighter as the left and especially the right side.

I´ll send this one back, too and forget about the rMBP. I mean... for 1000 EUR you might accept that is is not perfect. And I truely believe you could just use it and WORK..... but this thing is so expansive. I want it to be perfect. Otherwise I could really buy a 700 EUR (I´m from Germany) notebook.

Are you ordering these things from Apple directly? How are they handling the excessive exchanges?

I really look for Apple to reinstate a restocking fee before long. It's hard to believe the number of exchanges and returns people make on this forum. To each their own, but I am surprised they don't start refusing exchanges after few and say "it's clear we don't have a product that is meeting your needs."

skydesigner

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Are you ordering these things from Apple directly? How are they handling the excessive exchanges?

I really look for Apple to reinstate a restocking fee before long. It's hard to believe the number of exchanges and returns people make on this forum. To each their own, but I am surprised they don't start refusing exchanges after few and say "it's clear we don't have a product that is meeting your needs."

I´ve to admit there lays truth in your saying. On the other hand: they should establish better QC to make sure they are all at the same VERY high level. But they are not and still they charge a big premium.
My post was just as information for others. I don´t want to start (another) discussion about that.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I´ve to admit there lays truth in your saying. On the other hand: they should establish better QC to make sure they are all at the same VERY high level. But they are not and still they charge a big premium.
My post was just as information for others. I don´t want to start (another) discussion about that.

But how are they handling them? What are you telling them? Do they comment about the number you have made, or are they just nice and say here is a shipping label?

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark

Reporting back since i just opened the new:apple:
Got a Samsung, so I am Happy:p
ordered it on black friday:D

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
so what's the big deal about LG vs Samsung anyway?

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly. I think you guys have to much time on your trainspotting hands!
:cool:

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly. I think you guys have to much time on your trainspotting hands!
:cool:

It's not a brand flame-war. It's that LGs have exhibited a ghosting/image retention problem, where Samsungs have not. So people want to see if they are susceptible to the issue.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I understand - are you saying anyone with an LG screen should send it back?

Some people may choose to. Others might just choose to keep an eye out for the issue so they know to take it in for repair. I myself got an LG and am going to sit on it until the return period expires to see if I notice the issue.

One thing people are saying is that it sometimes takes a fair amount of time (2 months or so) for it to develop. But that once it does, it goes downhill real quick. Many people have received replacement LG after replacement LG all exhibiting the issue. So much so, I'm led to believe almost 100% of LGs will have this at some point unless there is some new data that shows newer ones are fixed somehow.

Some other people have had issues with Apple saying these faulty displays are really within spec. This is my big concern. There's no way I will find any sort of IR acceptable. I will likely exchange my computer at the end of the return period even if I don't see it just on the faith that it will develop at some point and the worry that Apple won't stand by their product.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly...

I understand your point. My LG screen was also fantastic on day one, and I wasn't looking for problems. However, after a few months it exhibited the image retention problem pretty strongly. It was annoying to watch a video and continue to see text that was on the screen previously. I brought it in last Friday and Apple replaced it with a Samsung display. I now feel more secure about the future of this display and the resale value of my machine.

I believe that most LG displays are probably fine, and Apple seems to be taking care of the folks with bad ones, so there doesn't seem to be a need for folks with working LG displays to try to return them. The only nagging questions are whether the problem might sometimes appear after the warranty is over, rather than after just a few months. Also, the effect on resale value is a question, but it's hard to say how many buyers would be aware of the IR issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.