Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New 'Sidefari' App Allows iPad Users to View Side-by-Side Safari Windows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple introduced a Split View mode in iOS 9 for iPad users to be able to use two apps side-by-side, it did not allow users to open two Safari windows side-by-side. A new app called Sidefari from developer Francisco Cantu (via MacStories) allows users to have two webpages open side-by-side to meet various browsing needs.

The app works by using Safari View Controller to open a second webpage via Split View. To activate Sidefari, all a user has to do is open the Slide Over app picker and choose Sidefari. The app also works in multiple sizes, allowing users to use Sidefari to take up either half the screen or smaller. Sidefari is only available for the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro as they are the only devices that support multitasking.

Sidefari for iPad is available in the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New 'Sidefari' App Allows iPad Users to View Side-by-Side Safari Windows

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
This pretty much sums up everything about the iPad. You can do almost everything your MacBook can with an iPad, but you need 3rd party apps to do what should be possible by default.

With that being said I appreciate the iPad features of iOS 9, and I expect the same effort from Apple moving forward.

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Why does this app cost money? I could just use Chrome and Safari at the same time. Plus it is just a Safari View Controller. Wouldn't it be limited compared to the actual browser?

It's limited in that it can't do tabs and you can't edit the url bar, but it uses the features of Safari that 3rd party browsers can't, such as auto-fill and content blockers.

NickD73

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
Guess we have to rely on 3rd party fixes in order to make the iPad do what we want it to do. Apple is making a ton of money, but they're as vulnerable as they've ever been. A strong competitor can come along and really steal their spotlight if they don't pick it up.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Guess we have to rely on 3rd party fixes in order to make the iPad do what we want it to do. Apple is making a ton of money, but they're as vulnerable as they've ever been. A strong competitor can come along and really steal their spotlight if they don't pick it up.
But I thought nobody used Apple's apps and they all got moved to a junk folder. /s

If I need two websites open side by side I use Safari and another browser. Pretty simple.

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
It would be nice if it also works for iPhone 6+/6s+ which as of now not compatible.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Someone is going to make bank for 15 minutes of work.

Yup. I'll be making my own deposit into that bank once I get my Pro (next week).

Of course it'll be better once iOS supports this natively, but this a a decent placeholder until then.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Its obvious from these 3rd party solutions that iOS on iPad is severely lacking from being a power-users OS to use. Can't wait to see what other optimizations and features Apple has planned for the iPad for iOS X at WWDC 2016, so that the iPad can become the preferred portable and efficient tool for power-users.

At the moment, I agree with everyone else - the iPad is a great device for consuming content, but for creating content...iOS can be a slow and complicated mess...

AustinJerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
I don't understand why Apple did not enable multitasking for my iPad Air. It isn't that old a device. Is it because of the processor? Or because they want me to upgrade? And why no multitasking on the iPhone 6S? Isn't that the faster processor?:(

Reactions: Altis and AleXXXa

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Its obvious from these 3rd party solutions that iOS on iPad is severely lacking from being a power-users OS to use. Can't wait to see what other optimizations and features Apple has planned for the iPad for iOS X at WWDC 2016, so that the iPad can become the preferred portable and efficient tool for power-users.

At the moment, I agree with everyone else - the iPad is a great device for consuming content, but for creating content...iOS can be a slow and complicated mess...

I've got some bad news for you. Windows does extremely well because of... you guessed it: 3rd party solutions.

Who buys a Windows PC to exclusively run Microsoft software? Nobody. Everybody has some sort of non-Microsoft tool or software to enhance it. 3rd party browsers are very popular.

But if you're stuck in the mindset that mouse support = power-user or file system = power-user, then it's always going to be hard for you to adapt when something different emerges. And that, my friend, is your problem.

Last edited:

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This pretty much sums up everything about the iPad. You can do almost everything your MacBook can with an iPad, but you need 3rd party apps to do what should be possible by default.

With that being said I appreciate the iPad features of iOS 9, and I expect the same effort from Apple moving forward.

Why is it not ok that Apple provide for every possible use of their hardware?

I see nothing wrong allowing app developers to fill voids in every possible real world uses.

Reactions: xDKP and Enygmatic

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
Apple will pull this app as soon as they find out this is modifying they way they want safari to operate.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
79p, bought.

It works well, yeah I could just use Safari and Chrome at the same time but I don't particularly like Chrome on iOS, or in general, and prefer Safari.

As others have said, I think this app might be pulled soon, so if you want it I'd snap it up now.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009

That's sort of why the Jailbreaking community is necessary. Being able to run code that you normally wouldn't be able to get away with on a stock install of iOS is very liberating, and if it's a good enough idea, Apple might even copy and add their own version of those addons in a later iOS update.

Unfortunately they still haven't added all of the stuff I still use...

Reactions: shadowbird423

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
What happen to it after I bought and then it get pulled, can I still reinstall it from my purchase?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I remember buying the Maven browser on iOS that did this, but worked fully, I think back in 2010 or so.

Back when rummaging through a pile of separate & redundant apps to do basic things was still a novelty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.