New Siri Podcast News Feature Begins Rolling Out in iOS 11.2.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new feature that allows Siri to provide audio-based news updates appears to be rolling out to iOS users, allowing iPhone and iPad users to get audio news updates via the Podcasts app when asking Siri for current news info.

The new audio news feature has been previously seen in the iOS 11.2.5 beta, but until recently it was not available on devices running the current version of iOS. In our testing, the new Siri feature is now accessible on devices running iOS 11.2, iOS 11.2.2 (the current version of iOS) and iOS 11.2.5.

[​IMG]

When you ask Siri about the news of the day via Hey Siri or another hands-free method, the personal assistant will provide Podcast news from NPR by default in the United States. You can, however, ask Siri to switch to news from Fox News, CNN, or The Washington Post.

In other countries, local news podcasts will be played instead. In the UK, for example, Siri will offer up audio news from BBC, Sky News, or LBC.

The audio news feature, which appears to have been developed primarily for Apple's upcoming HomePod speaker, is invoked when using "Hey Siri" or asking Siri about the news when using CarPlay or headphones. It's essentially designed for situations where you're not looking at your iPhone or iPad's display.

If you activate Siri using the Side or Home button of a device and ask about the news, Siri will instead provide standard text-based news headlines instead of audio news.

The Siri podcast news feature appears to be available on devices running iOS 11 at least as of today, and in our testing, it is confirmed to be working in the United States and the UK.

Article Link: New Siri Podcast News Feature Begins Rolling Out in iOS 11.2.2

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I like using Siri in different ways, at least this might be more useful way of utilizing it being hands free when wanting the on related news with my iPhone. This will follow nicely with the HomePod when released.

3. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

How about getting Siri to do some basic things first??

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Only with Apple would this be OS-specific. Devices that can't update to iOS 11 like iPhone 5 and 5c should have no problem playing back a podcast.

I got a $29 Echo Dot at Christmas-time and it has made me less and less impressed with my $849 iPhone 7's Siri functionality. Just today I asked Alexa how much caffeine is in a 12 oz Coke. She knew immediately. Siri did a web search.

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

"Hey Siri whats the news?"
    "Sorry there is no music on news"

"Hey siri whats the news?"
    "Sure I can schedule that appointment called appointment"

6. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

So is that how Apple numbers their OS releases, or did they deliberately by pass some 0.x.0 versions with this new feature?

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

8. The_Geekomak macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2018 ---
    Not working in Canada

9. robjulo macrumors 65816

10. csurfr macrumors 68000

While my echo(s) are great for podcasts, they are the absolute worst devices for false recognition. Both of mine (latest generation) frequently think they have heard the activation phrase, and begin doing whatever words come next, such as giving me the mass and feeding habits of a moose. By comparison, I can’t remember the last time Siri activated falsely.

11. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Did Tim Cook request Fox News to be a part of this?

12. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Please charge that poor phone. The 3% battery is giving me anxiety simply by looking at it.

13. kbfr08, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2018

kbfr08 macrumors 6502

I have it on good authority that the news source is NPR by default, but can actually be switched to a source of your liking (Fox, perhaps?).

This is classified information, not mentioned in the article anywhere, so don't tell anyone.

14. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Don't worry, it's on the charger now. It's my poor neglected iOS 11.2 phone.

15. mistasopz macrumors 6502

God, I wish you could uninstall Siri permanently from all Apple products. And I don't mean disable it or turn it off. I want everything related to Siri burned in holy fire and extirpated so that it doesn't reside in any field of memory or storage space. For those of you that were around in the Windows 98 days, you'll understand when I say that Siri is the "clippy" of voice assistants.

16. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Me: Hey Siri any news from Cupertino about the Macbook Pro and Mac mini?
    Siri: cricket's sound...

17. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2018

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Oh, and not to beat a dead horse, but why not just get news with little data used via the FM radio chips in all the iPhones? Oh never mind. Timmy said they don't exist even though the teardown says they do. They will be another lawsuit eventually now that Samsung is offering FM access to all their smartphone FM chips.

Sorry Timmy, we KNOW they're there! BUSTED! :D

18. R3k macrumors 6502a

"Hey Siri, what's the news today?"

"I dont see Jason in your contacts. Should I look for locations by that name?"

19. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

20. Eric5273, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

When I tell Siri to change the news to CNN, she responds that she cannot. However, the other news sources seem to be working fine. I even managed to change it to NBC, which then resulted in an “NBC Sports” podcast with sports updates. So with that in mind, I tried ESPN and now I get Sportscenter updates in my news podcast :)

Update: Ok, this is interesting. If I say “Hey Siri, switch to ESPN”, Siri responds that she is changing to ESPN and proceeds to play a Sportscenter update. However, after that if I say “Hey Siri, what’s the news today?”, it defaults back to NPR/Washington Post/Fox News (whichever I chose previously). So to get ESPN, you have to say “Hey Siri, switch to ESPN”, to which Siri responds by playing the Sportscenter podcast, but doesn’t actually change any settings.

21. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Never mind, it works via “Hey Siri” only. That’s weird.

22. garglebutt, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

garglebutt macrumors newbie

garglebutt

--- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2018 ---
    Working in Australia this morning. It only offers ABC, SBS and Seven Network as news options.

23. kryogyn macrumors newbie

kryogyn

24. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Your $849 iPhone does a lot more than Siri.

25. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I have a feeling that this quirk, and indeed this feature, is a side effect of work on Siri for the HomePod. Namely that they wanted this feature to be ready before launching the HomePod.