Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
QuickTime X is built into Snow Leopard, although this actual build lacks the new icon.

It also continues to have awful codec support. It still can't play .mkv, .avi or several other popular formats without the help of Perian. Considering what an overall QuickTime got, you'd think Apple would have tried to make it somewhat more useful.

Does is support advanced profiles for H264 now?

Does it deal with the well-known and longstanding gamma shift issues?

Those two would be on my wish list.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
It was handed out at WWDC, but it's not the exact same build, as evidenced by missing features like the Expose being triggered from the Dock.

Yeah, plus as I said earlier, it seems like the version of expose is an old one as it doesn't arrange the windows in a grid when activated as it was demonstrated at WWDC... shame, was really looking forward to playing around with that dock feature.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah, plus as I said earlier, it seems like the version of expose is an old one as it doesn't arrange the windows in a grid when activated as it was demonstrated at WWDC... shame, was really looking forward to playing around with that dock feature.

WWDC demo build was obviously not the one they handed out to developers.

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Marble and 10.6

10.6 looks great. Thanks for the screenshots. Interesting that the new expose didn't make it into this seed. Let's hope they don't drop that feature like they dropped customizable stacks in 10.5.

I have some thoughts about Marble and why it didn't make it into 10.6. Since they're cutting off PPC upgrades with this version, it makes sense to make it as painless as possible. They left marble out so that PPC users wouldn't feel like they're being totally left behind. I imagine the outcry would be far worse than it's been if the entire OS received a major overhaul.

Having said that, I think QuickTime X is the Marble bone tossed to us by Apple. My bet is that everything in 10.7 follows the new QuickTime UI. Black title bars, more HUDs, glossy black scroll bars, etc. If so, I think it would look pretty sweet. Such a UI would also fit in nicely with the black frames around almost all Mac displays now (MacBook and MacBook Air excepted).

If I'm right about these two things, then my bet is that 10.7 could come as quickly as late 2010 since 10.6 lays all the infrastructure groundwork for the OS. It would mainly be UI changes and adding features left out of 10.6 so as not to hurt the PPC users' feelings too much.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
10.6 looks great. Thanks for the screenshots. Interesting that the new expose didn't make it into this seed. Let's hope they don't drop that feature like they dropped customizable stacks in 10.5.

I have some thoughts about Marble and why it didn't make it into 10.6. Since they're cutting off PPC upgrades with this version, it makes sense to make it as painless as possible. They left marble out so that PPC users wouldn't feel like they're being totally left behind. I imagine the outcry would be far worse than it's been if the entire OS received a major overhaul.

Having said that, I think QuickTime X is the Marble bone tossed to us by Apple. My bet is that everything in 10.7 follows the new QuickTime UI. Black title bars, more HUDs, glossy black scroll bars, etc. If so, I think it would look pretty sweet. Such a UI would also fit in nicely with the black frames around almost all Mac displays now (MacBook and MacBook Air excepted).

If I'm right about these two things, then my bet is that 10.7 could come as quickly as late 2010 since 10.6 lays all the infrastructure groundwork for the OS. It would mainly be UI changes and adding features left out of 10.6 so as not to hurt the PPC users' feelings too much.
I agree fully. We've seen the black GUI in many new large features in the last few years, like Time Machine, Spaces, Stacks (Grid View), and Cover Flow. I've thought for a long time that with the introduction of the black GUI to new features, it'll only be a matter of time before the whole GUI goes black.

I've also noticed that while windows and some other elements have had a GUI update (to iTunes 7) recently, it's still different from the black GUI. Maybe it takes a significant change or addition for black GUI to be introduced. If so, then when will regular windows go black GUI? Multi-touch displays?? Maybe the iTunes 7 GUI will coexist with the black GUI. Or maybe it's just taking a while for regular windows to go black (iTunes 7 GUI is an in-between GUI?).

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Yes it is possible and the upgrade process works quite well. I actually installed from a partition on the primary hdd since I was out of DL dvds. Took about 35-40 minutes and all my files and preferences are intact. After the install completed Spotlight had to reindex the files but that's really no biggie. Oh and it cleared abut 10gb of space which was quite a surprise.

Just to confirm, the installer did not format your hard drive? Can't be too sure these days... :rolleyes:

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR

Also GM avoids introducing new colors for certain models so owners of previous models won't feel bad about not getting an entirely overhauled car. :rolleyes:

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Just to confirm, the installer did not format your hard drive? Can't be too sure these days... :rolleyes:

Oh, no, I formatted it myself :p

Running now am running SL on an external FW800 HD and its running excellent. Almost done porting over all of my things and when I'm done with that, will just wipe my internal HD and will clone everything from the external to the internal one :)

thecoard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Quick question. I installed the WWDC build. When a new beta comes out, will software update see it or will I need to redownload it and burn it to another DVD?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
New Snow Leopard 10A380 Screenshots Emerge

Attendees of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference this week received copies of a "near final" version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard following Monday's keynote. As we had heard just prior to the start of the conference, Apple is distributing Build 10A380 to the conference attendees. While a number of sets of screenshots and even videos have surfaced from Snow Leopard developer builds over the past few months, each release has brought some new tweaks, and Build 10A380 is no exception.

Michael Flux has posted an extensive gallery of screenshots from the new Snow Leopard build, highlighting several changes to the operating system.

- Stacks Navigation: Navigation within Stacks from the Dock using Grid view has been changed from previous developer builds. Whereas previous builds allowed users to navigate folder hierarchies using small icon versions of parent folders, Build 10A380 now utilizes text buttons in the upper left corner for navigation to parent folders. Gizmodo also offers further explanation of changes to the Dock and Exposé in Snow Leopard, highlighting the new ability to scroll within a Stacks window in Grid view.

150201-stacks_10a380_500.jpg

- Safari Contextual Menu Options: Apple has added two new contextual menu options within Safari. When selecting and right clicking on any text within Web pages, Safari now offers the ability to easily create new Mail Notes from the selected text or convert the selected text to speech and have the file added to iTunes.

150201-safari_contextual_10a380.jpg

- AirPort Menu Signal Strength Indicators: The AirPort Menu Item now shows signal strengths for all networks within range without having to join the networks, aiding in network selection in locations with many possible choices.

150201-airport_10a380.jpg

Article Link: New Snow Leopard 10A380 Screenshots Emerge

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Has the info on Expose changes not being on the 10A380 seed been clarified? Am liking the Server blue aurora here

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The Stacks implemention is improved with regarded to navigating folders.

The prior demos with the little secondary window were a bit awkward.

Scroll bars in grid view are nice as well.

Love the cleaned up Audio/Midi, Voice and Image Capture windows.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
All the little tweaks like these--not the big headliners--add up to half the value of any OS X update for me. They really help my workflow in small ways that add up. This update has that kind of tweaks... and costs less than half the usual :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.