New T-Mobile Family Plan Offers Four Lines With 10 GB of Data Each at $120

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

T-Mobile today announced an addition to its Un-carrier line of customer perks with a new family plan aimed at providing each member of the family with 10GB of 4G LTE data per person. The base plan includes the first two family members with 10GB each at $100, and additional members coming in at $20 per person, with every line getting the usual unlimited data, talk, text, and all the normal Un-carrier perks.

[​IMG]

Users who are interested in signing up or switching before Labor Day can get the fourth member's line free if they sign up before the holiday, on September 7. So a four-person family can each get 10GB of data for $120 -- or $30 a person -- while the promotion runs.

T-Mobile compares its plan to something similar offered by Verizon, which sees its base plan requiring families to share 10GB of data each month at a price of $140. To get something more along the lines of T-Mobile's new plan, users would have to upgrade to about $360 per month on Verizon's model.
    [​IMG]

The new family plan will launch alongside the recent announcement that customers taking advantage of the Un-carrier's "Simple Choice" plans can send and receive unlimited phone calls, text messages and use 4G LTE data in Canada and Mexico at no additional cost. T-Mobile notes that every family under the Simple Choice model can choose to switch to the Un-carrier's new family plan beginning tomorrow, July 15.

Article Link: New T-Mobile Family Plan Offers Four Lines With 10 GB of Data Each at $120

2. Psypher macrumors member

Will this replace the current promotion of 2 Lines of UNLIMITED data for $100/month?

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

4. bondsbw macrumors member

Verizon charging more than you thought? I never thought I'd see the day...

5. bondsbw macrumors member

Also lets be clear on something TMo... 40 GB shared is quite different from 10 GB x 4.

This seems regressive, back to the olden days of people getting charged overage fees for going over their allotment even though others on the same plan had plenty of data to spare.

(Although I do recognize that 10GB X 4 is still quite better than the competition's 10 GB shared, and for a lower price.)

6. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Thanks T-Mobile for what you do. You help keep prices in check with other carriers. But for gods sake, stop with the gimmicks and new plans every other month. How about one simple fair pricing structure that just always is. No need to roll out new plans. When you lower prices, just pass on the savings.

7. BruiserB macrumors 65832

True that there is a bit of gimmickry in T-mobile's comparison. This does prevent the case where one person in the family is a data hog and others use very little. However 10GB per line is quite a bit of data and I'm sure more than enough for almost all. I'm on the $30 5GB plan and use it a lot (although not really to stream a lot of video) and haven't ever gone over 3GB in a month. Especially since most audio streaming services are exempt from the data meter.

So it's true that 40GB shared might be a better deal for someone in a certain circumstance, but at 1/3 the price, the T-mobile offering is pretty great for many!

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Either I'm reading your quote incorrectly or you're misunderstanding the promotion. TMo's data isn't 40GB of shared. It's 10GB each. Also there are no overages. Verizon has the shared data and overages.

9. Farplaner macrumors 6502

Sounds like it... for me it would be a downgrade.

10. kcirtap00 macrumors regular

You're reading the quote incorrectly.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Explain please

12. nickcliborne macrumors 6502

Dear T mobile. Please put as much effort into expanding your network as you do coming up with these monthly gimmick plans. 1 mile out side of Dallas and all you get is super slow edge or no service.

13. Farplaner macrumors 6502

You're both saying the same thing, but you think he misunderstood in the quote.

14. JackieInCo Suspended

They are doing improvements. They turned on band 12 in my area yesterday. My 6+ can't take advantage of it but my Note 4 and Note Edge can.

15. kcirtap00 macrumors regular

He/She was saying that 40GB of shared data is different than the 10GB x 4 that TMo is offering, not that TMo is offering 40GB shared.

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Only if you don't actually look at what you are signing up for. Otherwise you know what you would be paying.

17. currocj macrumors regular

How much of the 10gb/unlimited can be tethered?

18. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

So this is "unlimited" still? Just slow after 10...? Especially when the vast majority of my consumption is music, which wouldn't count.

That's a damn good price. I have 30 gigs shared currently on AT&T. 7 lines. About 30 bucks each line it works out to. I might need to take a 2 week test drive.

19. 0000757 macrumors 68040

I disagree. I think this is a much better method of handling the situation.

Also T-Mobile has no overage charges (They throttle instead of charging).

I don't think it's that big of a downgrade. I luckily copped the 2/100 Unlimited promo, but a vast majority of customers probably don't need more then 5 or 6, let alone 10. (My mom for example, barely uses 1).

I don't see these as that gimmicky. They're doing promotions just as often as everyone else, and theirs are actually worth it.

I'm on unlimited and I get 7GB of LTE tethering (but I believe afterwards I can still tether it just slows down).

20. bondsbw macrumors member

Shared data is always at least as good, or better than, per-line pricing (assuming you pay the same total amount).

And for Verizon/AT&T that have overage charges, consider what happens even if you had fairly even usage... say 3 people use 10.1GB and one uses 9.6GB. Per-line means you have 3 overage charges, while shared means you have none.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

You're both right. The poster and I were essentially saying the same thing except the part about the regression to overages, which TMo doesn't do.

On topic: If I paid a normal cell bill, I would jump on this (decent coverage being a caveat). My company pays 75% of my first line and 50% of my second so I am stuck (not a complaint by any means 'cept Sprint) with a stupid low bill. 1stwp.
    TMo strategy is the best thing to happen to the cell industry in a long time. Once they improve their coverage areas, they will be hard to resist.

22. 0098386 Suspended

(European here) I hope at those prices you at least get gold plated cell towers.

23. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

It's still UNLIMITED. Only the 4G data gets capped at 10GB per person. 3G data takes over at that point. No overage fees.

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

They could give me 100GB and I still couldn't use it due to their bad coverage. Please T-Mobile, drop all the gimmicks and build more towers (upgrading towers to LTE doesn't help).

I would settle for regular towers so I could actually make and receive calls :(.

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I know, the prices are crazy over there. Let's just say I'm window shopping, and right now, there's a half-price sale on weird.