New to Mac, what's the best browser?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Aug 15, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I'm new to mac and have been hearing some bad things about safari...Currently I use firefox, which I really like as you can customize it and add things like stumble upon...
    What would you say is the best browser for macs?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I use Safari for nearly everything, in those very rare occasions when it doesn't work as expected I use Camino.

3. GNice macrumors 6502

I just got my first mac about a week ago. First few days I split time between firefox and safari. I'm now primarily using firefox...just like the fact I can change themes and there are lots of add-ons. Safari is pretty nice though.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Firefox. There are a lot of add ons that will make your life easier, and there's more support for it (although that can change with Safari going to Windows).

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I use camino for the most part and safari for the pages that it won't open. I don't know why but I feel that safari is more of a ram hog.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I use Safari all the way. Never had a problem, and it runs faster than Firefox.

7. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

what differences are there between firefox and camino?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Safari, Safari, Safari. Used it since the public beta and it's perfect.

9. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

I use safari 99.9% of the time as it does pretty much everything that I need it to, though I have Firefox as some of my University network pages don't work with safari (2.0.4).

Oh, and I don't use Safari 3.x because my on-line banking isn't set up for it yet so I can't access it using that.

10. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

these are your options, as far as i'm concerned:
    Safari - it is the default browser for the OS, so it should work the best, right?can't really customize it as much as Firefox, by why would you want to have that many extentions anyway? i have safariStand and Shaft on my Safari and i don't really care for any more customization
    Firefox - not much i have to say about firefox, we all know it kicks ass, and you'll have the same interface roughly using it in both platforms, but it just doesn't look as good on the mac as it does on the pc, my humble opinion. extentions are great, but if you go over the top it will be a memory hog.i just use it for pages that don't work well with Safari or for flv downloads and so on...
    Camino - pretty cool lightweight browser, i use it the most after Safari, gets the job done and works like a charm
    Shiira - shiira looks awesome! it's by far the prettiest browser i've seen so far, but it really lacks in user experience... maybe i haven't used it enough, but i feel that a few key options are missing...
    Opera - i had never used it before, but since it's my job, i have to test my websites on as many browsers as i can get my hands on... opera does look pretty fugly on the mac, but i must admit that it also looks very efficient... can't really express an opinion on it since i've practically never used it in a real-world situation

hope that helps
    in the end, it's down to personal choice ;)

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For Safari, Inquisitor is almost necessary its so brilliant :)

I use Camino as my secondary browser to Safari 3 beta, as DivX doesn't work well yet in Safari...

12. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

I use Firefox. I like that it is more customizable. :)

- Daniel

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

14. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Safari about 90% of the time and Firefox about 10%.

15. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

17. NJuul macrumors 6502

I use Safari almost exclusively, with Inquisitor and Pithhelmet installed.
    Pithhelmet is a really, really effective add-blocker. I can highly recommend it. The web without Pithhelmet is really a terrible mess.

18. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

If your an ebay seller then Safari only allows you to use HTML for your description. I prefer Safari myself but use Firefox for ebay releated selling.

19. xsphat macrumors member

I have been having crap luck with Firefox as of late, so I am using this new thing called Flock. It's pretty good, and more stable than the current release of FF.

20. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

My preference is Firefox .... no problems in two years of use .. :)

21. epmatsw macrumors member

Browser Comparison

Personally, I like Opera. From everything I've heard, it renders pages the best, and it has a feature to disguise itself as IE or Firefox, so it works with almost every site I've seen. If you're worried about how well the browsers render pages, test them with this website.

22. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

23. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I use the Safari 3 beta, I run into no problems. I used to use Camino or Bon Echo
    (Firefox) and those where all nice as well.

24. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Internet Explorer is the best browser for Mac!!!

The Stig

J/K, Firefox works best for most things, I use it most of the time, and Safari only for a couple of things.

25. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum