Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I had high hopes for it, but it's slow. It should've been titled "conversations with a robot". The script just isn't enough to carry the film. We get a really good look at Hanks' character as he teaches the robot the ways of the world, but it just wasn't interesting to me. Another apocalyptic dystopian thriller, except it wasn't thrilling.

Secondary title, "A dog barks a lot during a film".

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Watched it last night, very well done. I was optimistic when Amblin played across the opening! I compared it to Moon with Sam Rockwell, which I also very much enjoyed.

Moon is one of the most underrated modern movies among the general public, so that is very high praise. Hoping Finch lives up to that comparison for me too!

Reactions: SDJim and sevoneone

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I watched this movie last night. Usually Tom Hanks movies are good, but this one was a dud to me. The plot was weak, the dog was cute, but I found myself wanting to turn it off midway through the movie. I'll give it a 6 on a 1-10 scale.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
It started off great. Then got painfully sappy. A bit or pointless drama before the third act that could have been completely cut without affecting the “story” in any way. Basically nothing happens. I was not great. Too bad as again, it seemed awesome at first. The rock truck scene was amazing. And the various storms. Then it just gets sappy and dumb and basically goes nowhere.

I completely agree. It was great through the chase out of Denver, but after that the story just flatlined and nothing interesting happened. Even the ending, which at least does close the story, was very flat for me.

So disappointing because they clearly had budget for top notch production value. The cinematography, effects, everything from a technical standpoint is seriously excellent. The first half of the script, the world and character building were really good too. They had infinite road to turn Jeff into the next Johnny 5 and instead it feels like the writers gave up.

He’s done way too many movies. They all end up being another Tom hanks movie.

Yeah. There was more than a couple times that soft spoken mannerisms of this character was making me feel like it was a continuation of his Fred Rogers character.

Reactions: netslacker

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
4K blu ray is uncompressed video and audio unlike streaming which has much lower bitrate and lossy audio. Apple TV+ does have a higher bitrate than other streaming services and does look better, however it’s no match for a disc.
$$$ most people would never be able to tell the difference given a good internet connection. I understand wanting to own your favorite movies physical copy rather than be at the mercy of a streaming company. Personally, most movies and TV I’m not attached to enough to be upset if I lose access to. I’ll take convenience of streaming. Looks and sounds incredible. I can’t tell the difference vs a disk outside of a spec sheet.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Excellent film. Definitely tugged my heart strings at the end. I can relate to Finch’s character

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
$$$ most people would never be able to tell the difference given a good internet connection. I understand wanting to own your favorite movies physical copy rather than be at the mercy of a streaming company. Personally, most movies and TV I’m not attached to enough to be upset if I lose access to. I’ll take convenience of streaming. Looks and sounds incredible. I can’t tell the difference vs a disk outside of a spec sheet.

I agree about video quality, but anyone with decent speakers would definitely notice the audio.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The movie is abit boring. It is like "i'm legand without the action pack."

Yah that's a good description. I'm glad there were no zombies and no subterranean snake alien things tunnelling around actually. But yah - the theme was another big one about what life is about I guess. Another "castaway" type movie.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Dont get me wrong... but why is all AppleTV+ content so virtue signalling (I hate that phrase).. what I mean is theres no fun stuff, no fun Sci Fi, its all so high-brow.
I guess that’s what it takes to get Tim’s stamp of approval. I watched it a couple of days ago and it wasn’t bad. I also like the For All Mankind series despite it being a little “too serious” at times.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I guess that’s what it takes to get Tim’s stamp of approval. I watched it a couple of days ago and it wasn’t bad. I also like the For All Mankind series despite it being a little “too serious” at times.
It kindof feels that way.

Dont get me wrong a lot of it is, im sure, worthy of technical praise but there always is a message to everything they produce.

Sometimes you just want a bit of light hearted fun and sadly AppleTV+ is not that place. Its all so serious and worthy.

Ted Lasso seems to get a lot of praise. I havent seen it myself and I know its a comedy but im sure theres some kind of underlying not-so-subtle message there too about teamwork, acceptance, etc etc. You dont have to look hard to find it in any of their commissions.

Reactions: drsox

xserret

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Important note to Tom Hanks, Please relay if you are in touch with him!

On your next SciFi project, before you get started with anything first check with Christopher Nolan. Pleaseee!

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
A year and a half into a pandemic I really don't want dystopia right now. :/
Agreed. If you want LOL, then may I suggest the animated "Harley Quinn" cartoon on HBO Max? It was my covid relief show. Hilarious adult humor and Kaley Cuoco was great as Harley.

Reactions: Cameront9

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
I was pumped for this. My last name is Finch. Coincidentally, my first name is Jeff. The movie was kinda boring though it kept my attention. It was decent and I don't regret watching it. Solid Hanks performance and enough bits of humor to just hang on.

Reactions: Martyimac

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Tom Hanks, a nice guy…

His comment to AppleTV and Greyhound release:

In addition, the actor said that watching the premiere of his new film on a streaming platform instead of in movie theaters is an "absolute heartbreak". "I don't want to irritate my Apple lords, but there is a difference in the image and the quality of the sound," added Hanks.

??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.