Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
You know when you are sitting in the hospital bed dying (from old age I suppose) and thinking about your life you are going to feel pretty bad about your decision to go veggie all those years when you see some intern walking down the hall with a Big Mac. Too late.

BEEF. It's whats for DINNER!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You know when you are sitting in the hospital bed dying (from old age I suppose) and thinking about your life you are going to feel pretty bad about your decision to go veggie all those years when you see some intern walking down the hall with a Big Mac. Too late.
And you might be having the exact same thought when your sitting in the hospital with colon cancer.

"Too Late."

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
there seem to be a large number of veggie-related threads recently. weird. *shrug*

PETA has been on a major publicity kick here in the States for the past several weeks, plus I think this type of thing goes in cycles. I find myself in the midst of considering how to adopt a vegetarian diet. I don't see a vegan diet because I cannot imagine a life without cow milk or chicken eggs.

Attention Corporate America: I will pay more for genuine "free range" milk and eggs.

Corporate farming is wrong at so many levels. That said, why aren't more people making viable alternatives available? I would imagine a farmer could make a very comfortable living in a city such as Chicago by selling "free range" milk and eggs. The cows and the chickens would be well provided for -- without being injected with steroids and being confined to small pens/cages, and people could enjoy a well-rounded diet that tastes good.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'd be glad to go veg if there were actually some I liked besides lettuce and mushrooms :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I'd be glad to go veg if there were actually some I liked besides lettuce and mushrooms :(

All of these foods I'm linking to are vegetarian, viccles. (wow, that was hard!)All completely delicious. Most don't have lettuce or mushroom. :p I'm sure you like more than potatoes, lettuce and mushrooms! :)
And so many people think that being a vegetarian means eating ONLY vegetables... don't forget about fruit, grains, and beans. Oh, beans, <3 <3 <3

coach z

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
ive been vegan for two years now, and let me tell you that you will be amazed by what is and what is not vegan once you really get into the nitty gritty of the entire lifestyle...it is alifestyle and not just a diet...

be sure to do your research on the diet before you jump right in, i transitioned in order to not starve my body of essential nutrients....i also take a multivitamin on occasion if i dont have the time or resources in order to eat the right veggies at all points during the day

good luck and welcome to the club!!! dont preach your lifestyle or else you will become hated amongst many, people will constantly ask you why you do it. i have decided that the best answer is "because i want to" not animal rights or health reasons althought those are two very big reasons as well but 'because i want to' sums both of those up as well without giving people the opportunity to be all liek 'but people are carnivores' etc....
-chris

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
All of these foods I'm linking to are vegetarian, viccles. (wow, that was hard!)All completely delicious. Most don't have lettuce or mushroom. :p I'm sure you like more than potatoes, lettuce and mushrooms! :)
And so many people think that being a vegetarian means eating ONLY vegetables... don't forget about fruit, grains, and beans. Oh, beans, <3 <3 <3

Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates? Silly question but I'm curious :) I'd be worired I'd miss out on protein sources if I turned veg

roebuck86

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Well, honestly, look at nature, animals eat other animals. Its the way of life. Maybe I should stop eating meat because its cruel... and not eat plants because that’s cruel too.

I don't mean to bash you, I just think that’s always a ridiculous response.

Yes, animals eat other animals but do animals keep other animals in awful conditions, beat them up, feed them hormones and generally prevent them from having a life?

I suggest you educate yourself before making quite retarded comments like that... here is a start CLICK

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Go veggie, get sick, see doc, doc say eat meat. It will happen.

Absolutely Not true.

I've been Vegan for 2 years and before that 30 years vegetarian. I'm 1.90 (6 foot 2 inches) so at least I survived eh?

As for the OP all I can say is that it will get easier. There are no good cheese substitutes by my experience but the craving will wane. I now find it easy to buy cheese for my girlfriend who is a veggie but not a vegan but for the first few month is was hard - staring at the Roquefort & Comte etc but now I have no pangs at all. Be strong you're doing the right thing morally and environmentally.

As for the post that said veganism an American thing? Yeah right.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Vegan for 7 years here. Went back to veggie after the birth of my baby daughter.

I gave up being a vegan nazi years ago - I have commented in meat-eating threads with politeness and respect - see:

Meat-Eating-Frenzy https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3474602#post3474602

so I would appreciate the meat-eaters treating us the same way.

I know people in the UK, Spain, and France, who have been vegan for over 40 years, so it is certainly not a US thing. We've had vegan restaurants around for several decades too. It's only recently tho that the numbers have exploded and its become much easier to become veggie / vegan.

Interesting fact: historically, vegetarianism meant not eating anything of animal origin - i.e. what we now call veganism. So most references to people being vegetarian in old texts actually meant they were vegan.

Several major world religions and millions of people globally are vegetarian, and last time I checked, they were all still alive :)

One major Indian religion, Jainism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

believe in killing nothing whatsoever. They won't eat anything where the plant was killed to produce the food. This means potatoes, root vegetables etc are out. They eat mainly seeds, fruits, above-ground crops etc.

When I used to find veganism heavy going, I went and read up on the Jains - always made me realise how mainstream veganism is, compared to the Jain diet.

To the OP, stick with it, always keep trying new foods - when I was vegan, I promised myself I would always try to eat something new or different every day, and I kept that up for about 4 years.

It really does help if you live or hang around with other veggies - solo is very difficult. Making changes slowly, and gradually reducing the amount of meat is how I first went veggie - no big changes.

My brother is vegetarian except for animals he's killed himself. He won't buy meat in the shop, but he goes out hunting sometimes in Cornwall (UK) with a bow and arrow or a knife and kills / finds a few rabbits and makes rabbit pie. I respect that.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Go veggie, get sick, see doc, doc say eat meat. It will happen.

LOL. I've been vegetarian for 25 years!

I couldn't do vegan though. I don't think theres anything wrong with eating eggs and the like as long as they're free range etc.

Maybe that's why I'm not the size of a bus, unlike a certain member on here.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Yes, animals eat other animals but do animals keep other animals in awful conditions, beat them up, feed them hormones and generally prevent them from having a life?

I suggest you educate yourself before making quite retarded comments like that... here is a start CLICK

I believe in some cases Peta has a good cause. But with the fur coat videos I watched they just kept showing the same footage over and over again, which just makes it seem like propaganda.

Hmmmm... Do animals get sick in the wild, and then get ravenously attacked by predators? Yes, they do. Do animals starve to death in the wild? Yes, they do.

If it wasn't for animals eating other animals we probably wouldn't be here today. Our planet would be even overpopulated too.

Animals eat animals- even animals we can't see because they are too small.

Edit:
So I watched your Peta video- its not my fault chickens and kicked around by their owners. Its going to stop me from eating meat. Just because I stop eating meat does not mean its going to stop the cruelty.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I don't quite understand why vegetarians are against dairy products. I mean you're not killing the cow for its milk, you're just taking it. Granted, cows don't get paid enough for their milk though. :( As for myself, learning about all the different ways animals are mistreated while being raised for meat is making me consider going vegetarian too.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I don't quite understand why vegetarians are against dairy products. I mean you're not killing the cow for its milk, you're just taking it. Granted, cows don't get paid enough for their milk though. :( As for myself, learning about all the different ways animals are mistreated while being raised for meat is making me consider going vegetarian too.

yes you aren't killing the cow for its milk or the chicken for her eggs, but here is what happens to chickens:
http://www.goveg.com/photos_chicken20.asp

and here is what happens to cows:
http://www.goveg.com/photos_cow07.asp

so, i guess in the end, yes you are killing them because they get slaughtered once their bodies aren't valuable to the industry anymore. the animals are actually used as egg producing and milk producing machines. it's disgustingly cruel to me. what i have realized in my research is that in America is that if treatment like this happened to a dog, people would be very upset, which i personally think is hypocritical. there are cruelty laws against dogs in this country, but not against cows, chickens, turkeys, even pigs who have the intelligence of a 3 year old human child.

i had a funny feeling that me posting a thread with a diet question would turn into an ethics debate. i just wish that some people would take the time to educate themselves before trying to contribute, and i am not speaking to the above poster, just everyone else..haha.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
yes you aren't killing the cow for its milk or the chicken for her eggs, but here is what happens to chickens:
http://www.goveg.com/photos_chicken20.asp

and here is what happens to cows:
http://www.goveg.com/photos_cow07.asp

so, i guess in the end, yes you are killing them because they get slaughtered once their bodies aren't valuable to the industry anymore. the animals are actually used as egg producing and milk producing machines. it's disgustingly cruel to me. what people need to realize in America is that if treatment like this happened to a dog, people would be very upset. there are cruelty laws against dogs in this country, but not against cows, chickens, turkeys, even pigs who have the intelligence of a 3 year old human child.

i had a funny feeling that me posting a thread with a diet question would turn into an ethics debate. i just wish that some people would take the time to educate themselves before trying to contribute, and i am not speaking to the above poster, just everyone else..haha.

But what about the farmers who grow chickens at their backyard? I'm sure that survival is very important.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I'm sorry. :(

haha come on, i wasn't referring to you! :)

But what about the farmers who grow chickens at their backyard? I'm sure that survival is very important.

i am not sure what you mean by that, but.....

a lot of vegetarians eat what are called free range eggs which are eggs taken from chickens raised in a natural environment, or on a farm where they are not drugged or abused. i am pretty sure vegans still do not eat free range eggs, because they still see that as exploiting animals for what they produce. i could be wrong about that, though. i personally do not see it that way.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates? Silly question but I'm curious :) I'd be worired I'd miss out on protein sources if I turned veg

Oh, honey, I'm a carb fiend! I wish I weren't! *looks down at tummy*
But as aristobrat said, you'd have to purposefully try to not get enough protein. Being veg isn't 24/7 salad.
The average person needs ~45g/day. 79 g of nasoya extra firm tofu has 8 g. of protein. 140 ml (1 cup) of silk soymilk has 7 g protein. 100g. of cashews has 17.2 g. protein.

Try it out for a week or so. See how you like it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.