Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
You wouldn't even need an AT&T iPad. In theory, you could enter the IMEI number of any GSM iPad, iPad 2, or non-Verizon new iPad. I have friends overseas who won't be coming to the US in the foreseeable future, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind letting me use their IMEI number to purchase AT&T service.

What I don't know is if AT&T will disrupt your service if they detect that you are using the iPad plan with a device that their systems can't detect is an iPad.
Right, my point was if the IMEI number you "borrow" is active elsewhere it probably won't work. Either it will fail as "already active" or disable the account it came from. The only way to be sure the number is good, not used, not duplicated is to have an ATT iPad. :)

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Right, my point was if the IMEI number you "borrow" is active elsewhere it probably won't work. Either it will fail as "already active" or disable the account it came from. The only way to be sure the number is good, not used, not duplicated is to have an ATT iPad. :)

I think the IMEI number only has to be unique in AT&T's system. Like I said, if my friend overseas never plans to visit the US and purchase an iPad data plan with AT&T, I don't think it would be a problem for me to use his IMEI. Or do you think the IMEI number must not be used anywhere else in the world?

thelocalhost

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
You would go to the AT&T store, get a SIM card, and insert it into the UK iPad. Then, go to the same screen on the iPad to purchase the plan. It would work fine, since AT&T's servers should accept the IMEI number of a UK iPad. It's just not accepting the IMEI number of the Verizon iPad.
hmm, that doesn't really make sense though.. Why wouldn't AT&T want more paying users. Maybe it's the Verizon sim that disables something when you do the initial iPad activation/setup? Has anyone tried restoring the iPad and using the AT&T sim to activate the iPad?
I'm holding on to two still unopened iPads (ATT & VZW) waiting for this to be settled before I open them.
You could open both, swap the sim cards and see if it works before returning one of them.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I think the IMEI number only has to be unique in AT&T's system. Like I said, if my friend overseas never plans to visit the US and purchase an iPad data plan with AT&T, I don't think it would be a problem for me to use his IMEI. Or do you think the IMEI number must not be used anywhere else in the world?
I would guess if he is not using ATT as his provider it would make no difference. It is registered by the provider not worldwide.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
It's not the software. The software tries to load the account screen and even shows the AT&T logo. It's communicating with the same server that AT&T's website communicates with and submits the IMEI number but returns the same error message rather than showing the plans. It's the same error message that you get on an AT&T iPad if you try to purchase service using a SIM card that was previously used on a different iPad, which is also related to a bad IMEI number.
This does not correlate with my experience.

I purchased the cheapest monthly AT&T iPad service (no auto-renewal) on my original iPad, then acquired an iPad 2 in the same month. I put the active iPad SIM in the newer device and it had no problem continuing service. At the end of the month, the service terminated correctly. A few months later, I bought another month's worth of 3G service without any problem.

More recently, I tried an AT&T GoPhone SIM (which had an active data package) in my iPad 2. It could not connect to AT&T's cellular 3G data network until I installed a custom APN (from http://www.unlockit.co.nz) for AT&T's GoPhone network. Then it worked fine. When I went through the iPad's interface to view the cellular account, it did not connect to the AT&T website.

There is something in the iPad's software that identifies the regular AT&T iPad cellular data SIM with the website for purchasing data plans.

Using the GoPhone SIM in an iPad is an option for those who have very minimal cellular data requirements (rare instances when you don't have WiFi and need access to e-mail, maybe the web, etc.).

One difference with the GoPhone SIM is that unused cellular data will rollover to the next month provided you purchase a new data package before the end of the month (yes, there are auto-renewing data packages).

The GoPhone data packages are:

500MB for $25
100MB for $10
5MB for $5

You can add $100 of GoPhone credit (talk time) which won't expire for a year even though the data packages expire after a month. You can purchase one 500MB data package for $25, followed by four months of 5MB data packages at $5 apiece. That works out to 104MB for $9 per month.

This is definitely pricier per megabyte than the regular low end AT&T iPad monthly service (250MB for $15), but if you're not using 250MB, you're throwing some money away since the regular iPad data service doesn't have rollover data.

If you are consistently using an average of less than 200MB per month in cellular data on an iPad, the GoPhone solution should be investigated as a reasonable alternative. If you are using less than 120MB of cellular data, this is a really good solution (which is why I'm currently keeping a GoPhone SIM alive for my iPad).

If you think you're going to have a month with massive iPad cellular data (e.g., a vacation), you can put the original iPad SIM back in and buy one of the bigger plans. (You would have to delete the GoPhone-specific APN configuration file.)

Note that I have swapped GoPhone SIMs between my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2 without any issue whatsoever. There is nothing with the GoPhone service that prevents the regular ad hoc tethering hacks. I have the Handy Light app and I am perfectly able to tether (damn, it is expensive per megabyte).

Here in California, there are no additional surcharges to GoPhone service: no taxes, fees, etc.

Moreover, I have quoted "full retail" pricing for GoPhone services. It's pretty easy to find discount GoPhone refill cards. CallingMart.com typically has monthly deals where a $100 GoPhone refill card can be purchased at $90 (I find the discount codes on their Twitter feed). Buy the GoPhone refill card and get the e-mail with the activation code in minutes. This like buying iTunes Gift Cards at some online retailers at a discount.

Please remember that my comments are highly specific to people who have minimal cellular data requirements. I use my iPhone and iPad the way I would normally use them (95% of the time on WiFi). Combined, I am spending maybe $20 per month in cellular service with all discounts included.

The biggest takeaway is that if you're using a GoPhone SIM, you can get what you pay for, but if you're not getting much, you can pay considerably less.

Last edited:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
You could open both, swap the sim cards and see if it works before returning one of them.
See if what works? You lost me there. We already know an activated ATT card will work and not-yet activated one won't even activate on the VZW iPad.

----------

This does not correlate with my experience.
That's Apples :) and oranges. Yours was an ATT device to ATT device not ATT SIM in VERIZON device.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Read all of PLin's comments. PLin was not referring to the Verizon device.

A Verizon iPad will not attempt to access the AT&T iPad cellular service purchase site anyhow.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
So I was one who wasn't sure what to do with the AT&T vs Verizon deal.....I am committed AT&T. I have 2 AT&T iPhones, have had iPad 1, 2 and now 3 all with AT&T. When I first got my iPad 3 this morning I was not so happy because there was a terrible light bleed problem, in a white screen you could clearly see the LED reflections. So I went to the apple store and was able to exchange for a Verizon version. I decided to go Verizon after I tested it with my AT&T unlimited sim from my iPad 2. It worked flawlessly, no changing and settings or anything....so I said Verizon is the way to go. I live in Memphis, Tn. By the time we get AT&T LTE ipad 5 will probably be coming out. Plus with my work travels I find myself in mor places with Verizon coverage than AT&T. The hotspot feature also sold me. I have been driving around town, hitting 3g spots and testing speed, and Verizon is definately slower than AT&T, but in a pinch, I do have AT&T with hotspot on my iPhone so I'm not worried about overall coverage.

For now I'm going to keep my unlimited AT&T plan for iPad 2 and give to my wife.....if I find I ever need it I will switch it over to mine, but I think Verizon will suffice at least for me in my area.......

----------

One other thing...if the iPad is unlocked and you could put sims from other countries in then I'm sure there woll never be any restrictions when it comes to AT&T or Verizon...Lin the end, they can care less what iPad you use as long as you use their data plan

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Read all of PLin's comments. PLin was not referring to the Verizon device.

A Verizon iPad will not attempt to access the AT&T iPad cellular service purchase site anyhow.
I am well aware of what PLIN and I were discussing but YOUR examples were of ATT to ATT movement of SIM cards & plans.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I can't get this to work. I have a activated sim from my iPad 2. When I place in the VZ ipad3 and install the APN it says I need to setup an account but of course I can't. Any suggestions?

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I can't get this to work. I have a activated sim from my iPad 2. When I place in the VZ ipad3 and install the APN it says I need to setup an account but of course I can't. Any suggestions?

Ok I got it to work was using the wrong APN, you need to select the Broadband version.

Next question, can I ever cancel this account? Would I be able to turn it on again via the AT&T website or once it's off for a month I am done for since I can't sign up again via the iPad.

Mrlocalhost

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
See if what works? You lost me there. We already know an activated ATT card will work and not-yet activated one won't even activate on the VZW iPad.
It probably won't make a difference anyways, but to see if a not-yet activated sim card from an at&t iPad 3 would activate in a verizon iPad.

I don't think anyone has actually tested an 'iPad 3' at&t sim card in a verizon iPad 3 - I think most of the at&t sim cards that people have tested were either the 3G or the iPad 2 sim cards..

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
It probably won't make a difference anyways, but to see if a not-yet activated sim card from an at&t iPad 3 would activate in a verizon iPad.

I don't think anyone has actually tested an 'iPad 3' at&t sim card in a verizon iPad 3 - I think most of the at&t sim cards that people have tested were either the 3G or the iPad 2 sim cards..
It's the same card as any non-activated iPad SIM, so no, it won't make any difference. PLin got a new clean iPad SIM from AT&T which is what started all this when he couldn't activate it on the iPad or on-line using the VZW IMEI and ICCID.

This "feature" is now all over the web and there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks.

----------

Has anyone tried simply calling AT&T and having them activate a sim over the phone?
Even if they did it wouldn't matter because once you give them the IMEI and ICCID their system will reject it because it's the same underlying system you would use when you try to do it yourself.

Last edited:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Next question, can I ever cancel this account? Would I be able to turn it on again via the AT&T website or once it's off for a month I am done for since I can't sign up again via the iPad.
I believe (not 100% sure) you have 6 months of "non-use" before the account actually closes. The problem you may have is not being able to turn off the "auto-renew" feature since you can't access that through the iPad although you probably could call to do that. I can still access and purchase on my 6week inactive account.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Is all this worth it

I really can't believe the amount of effort people will go through to try and get Data for nothing? I myself use WiFi when possible (most of the time) and usually get the lower Data Plan because WiFi is now in so many places anyway. But if you don't have access to WiFi much, then just get one of the bigger plans, you're not locked in to a contract and you don't have to worry about anything. It's really not that expensive and to me it sure beats all this nonsense of switching Sim cards and worrying about getting it to work or locking up your Sim.:confused:

I myself have 4 iPhone 4S's with the AT&T unlimited plans and my iPad 2 is Verizon as well as my new iPad"3" but I won't try sticking Sim cards in my new verizon iPad to scam some data. Besides I can't wait to try out 4G and don't want to use 3G just because it might be free! Don't get me wrong I think the carriers are ****ing us all day long!!! Like making us pay for Data on our phones and iPads separately, that's just flat out crooked!!! So I do get why everyone wants to find ways around paying for Data twice or not being able to share between iPhone & iPad.:cool:

Please carriers get with it and come up with a plan that makes our Data shared between our iPhones & iPads!:cool::cool::cool:

Now I'm going to finally unbox my new iPad that was delivered yesterday, just been waiting for the right time so I can enjoy without interruptions or everyone asking to "hey can I check that out, hey I want a turn" and of course I love to let my friends & family check out all my Apple stuff. My wife & daughter are always truly excited for me when I get my new iPads & iPhones! They get new iPhones each time with me but they like their MacBook Pros better then iPads. My daughter gets my old iPads but she actually likes her iPhone best!!!

I hope everyone that got new iPads are enjoying them and remembering Steve Jobs, without him we wouldn't have these awesome products!
RIP SJ:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I really can't believe the amount of effort people will go through to try and get Data for nothing?

I'm not trying to get data for nothing. I live in a city that has some Verizon LTE, but AT&T hasn't announced any timeframe for LTE, so I purchased a Verizon iPad. However, if I end up in a city where neither provider offers LTE, I would like to use AT&T 3G, which is a lot faster than Verizon 3G.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's the same card as any non-activated iPad SIM, so no, it won't make any difference. PLin got a new clean iPad SIM from AT&T which is what started all this when he couldn't activate it on the iPad or on-line using the VZW IMEI and ICCID.

This "feature" is now all over the web and there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks.

----------

Even if they did it wouldn't matter because once you give them the IMEI and ICCID their system will reject it because it's the same underlying system you would use when you try to do it yourself.

Isn't that illegal though? I was under the impression that gsm carriers are required to let any compatible gsm device (read: unlocked and proper bands) work on their networks. Same reason AT&T doesn't do imei blocks for stolen phones as far as I'm aware

I'm getting the impression that the error is happening because AT&T doesn't recognize the imei. I don't see what advantage it gives them to specifically block access to Verizon iPads

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I really can't believe the amount of effort people will go through to try and get Data for nothing?

I'm not trying to do any such thing. I would be more than happy to pay AT&T for chunks of data if and when I need them. I live in a city with good LTE coverage by both providers. However, I frequently travel to cities that (currently) only have LTE coverage by Verizon. In one of those cities, AT&T's coverage is horrendous and Verizon's coverage is awesome. Thus, I chose the Verizon 4G iPad. But I also travel to cities that don't have any LTE coverage of any kind. In those situations I'd rather pop in an AT&T SIM and use AT&T's 3G network because, let's face it, Verizon's CDMA network speeds SUCK!

Most of the people interested in doing this aren't trying to get free data. They simply want to be able to CHOOSE the fastest network to use in different situations and they are willing to pay for it.

Mark

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Isn't that illegal though? I was under the impression that gsm carriers are required to let any compatible gsm device (read: unlocked and proper bands) work on their networks. Same reason AT&T doesn't do imei blocks for stolen phones as far as I'm aware

I'm getting the impression that the error is happening because AT&T doesn't recognize the imei. I don't see what advantage it gives them to specifically block access to Verizon iPads

You are right in that it sounds like getting the IMEI INTO the ATT registration system (ie: activating the "virgin" ATT SIM on a Verizon IMEI) is the issue because you can use it with an already activated (provisioned) ATT card.

Everyone keeps saying the iPad LTE devices are "unlocked" and while they may very well be, in reality they never were advertised or sold as unlocked, only as "world phones, er, world pads." They state you can go to another country and drop in a local sim, which is true, but they never advertise you are buying a truly unlocked device. Apple web site advertises an "unlocked" iPhone with no carrier attached but not an unlocked iPad since they both have specific carriers attached. Not sure if you could win a court battle on that but I digress as that isn't the issue here. If it was truly unlocked you'd be able to setup the ATT account on the iPad or online.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I know you fell for a troll, but I enjoyed that anyway.

Ah, I remember being excited about getting 1X in my area!

I'm not going to label them as a troll, just... ignorant with the uncanny ability to make really bad assumptions based on no data whatsoever.

This sentence should go down in Internet history for proceeding "The Algorithm for the Complete and Total Clobbering of a Troll."

Sorry everyone had to see that.

OK, not really. :)

But I *like* MacRumors, and I'd like to see it remain a good place for discussion. Really all it takes to ruin forums are a few people posting crap at an astonishing rate and good posters will be driven away.

In this particular case, I couldn't rightly report his post because, well, in a mod's eyes, maybe he was right and I was being trollish. Better to stand and defend - and just letting it slide, while an option, wasn't a good one.

If this makes the "troll" actually think before flippantly replying to someone else's post in the future then I'm happy with that.

Now, I will say this was going through my mind while I put the post together:

attachment.php

:)

Note, I took my graphics down, I'm still under NDA and I don't need someone to get their undies in a bundle over them...

Attachments

• 6a00e54fceb8b78834010534a0621a970b-800wi.jpg
    6a00e54fceb8b78834010534a0621a970b-800wi.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,393

Michael2448

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
I don't think it's a problem with the VZW iPad software. If it was a software issue, then activating on the AT&T website wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that the IMEI number of the Verizon iPad is blacklisted or isn't recognized by AT&T's systems as an iPad. When you try to activate on the iPad itself, you can tell that the iPad is communicating with AT&T but then gives you the same message as the website gives you.

I know you said the tech reps use the same system, but have you tried to call to see if they'll give you an explanation? For all we know, it could simply be a bug on their server. I mean, the iPad has only been out for two days.

tyrnight

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Verizon's domestic network didn't use sims.. Was this only for their 3G network? I thought the SIM was just kind of a dummy sim that was in there for international roaming, i.e. it wouldn't know about your domestic phone plan.

Verizon's 4g service uses sim cards.. And get this, even the 3G service is configured by the sim.. It's odd, yes, but I get 4g and 3G working on my iPad by simply popping in the sim card out of my galaxy nexus and putting it in. And my account at Verizon shows a iPad with unlimited data.. Woot

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I know you said the tech reps use the same system, but have you tried to call to see if they'll give you an explanation? For all we know, it could simply be a bug on their server. I mean, the iPad has only been out for two days.

I suppose it's possible that AT&T will eventually add the IMEI numbers of the Verizon iPads to their system if they realize that they are losing out on revenue from people who want to use AT&T HSPA+ service, but there's no way to know if or when this will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.