Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Here's the thing with this whole bending "scandal".
1. You have the Apple fanboys who defend their product to the death. They all watch this stuff to try and find flaws with their device. Then you have the android fanboys that are constantly looking for flaws in apples products to help them feel validated in their android purchase. Both of these groups help fuel the fire so to speak.
2. Behind all this testing and media blitzing, there tends to be some grain of truth. Is there a weak spot in the phone? Yea, probably. Is it a widespread catastrophic issue? Probably not.

Bottom line is, take care of your phone. Does this whole bending issue have me concerned? Yea. Did it make me return my iPhone 6 plus? No.
I am being more careful than usual with it. I always take extreme care of my products. I never use a phone without a case or a screen protector. I am paying a bit more attention to how I use my phone and how I handle it.

I think that really all that anyone should take from this at this point is , if you bought a 6 plus , be mindful of it. You shouldn't expect it to be indestructible. If a few weeks/months down the road , we see a significant issue, I believe Apple would make amends. If not , then they would have a catastrophic issue on their hands.

For the record , I have owned an iPhone 3g, 3GS, 4, 5, and 6 plus. I own an iPad mini and a MacBook pro. I'm not an"troll" but I'm not an apple apologist either. I do like their products and customer service.

Pretty much this...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The phone is fragile as heck and unless you baby it to a ridiculous degree, then it will bend. It isn't up to the rigours that a pocketable device will encounter in daily use. Simple as.
If the 'Apple can do no wrong, ever' crowd want to keep their blinkers on then so be it. Others with a more rational outlook aren't impressed with the fragility of this high end, expensive device - and rightly so.

Apple should be ashamed of themselves. In the quest for a super-thin device they have thrown battery life, flush camera modules and now it seems, build quality, out of the window. Throw in a dreadful new version of iOS and the same amount of RAM as the 2012 iPhone 5...and it's a poor product all 'round. Let's see what the 6S brings to the table.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The phone is fragile as heck and unless you baby it to a ridiculous degree, then it will bend. It isn't up to the rigours that a pocketable device will encounter in daily use. Simple as.
If the 'Apple can do no wrong, ever' crowd want to keep their blinkers on then so be it. Others with a more rational outlook aren't impressed with the fragility of this high end, expensive device - and rightly so.

Unfortunately as your own post show, you're not one of them.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Apple should be ashamed of themselves. In the quest for a super-thin device they have thrown battery life, flush camera modules and now it seems, build quality, out of the window. Throw in a dreadful new version of iOS and the same amount of RAM as the 2012 iPhone 5...and it's a poor product all 'round. Let's see what the 6S brings to the table.

Um...did you see the new consumer reports video?

Its strong than the iPhone 6 and HTC ONE M8...let me say that again, stronger than the HTC ONE M8.

The M8 has been considered one of the best built, high quality handsets on the market. Short of the camera...its competitive with the iPhone. Yet it bends sooner than the plus and six. Do you hear about it? No. Has it been bent by a bunch of people? No.

Battery life? Are you joking? Its obvious you have a bias here somewhere.

These are both great devices.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
I guess if I hit mine with a hammer it would break.. Been using it and putting it in my pocket for a week and hasn't had an issue..

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I guess if I hit mine with a hammer it would break.. Been using it and putting it in my pocket for a week and hasn't had an issue..

Yeah...but do you really want a phone that you have to avoid hitting with a hammer? Once you have to start thinking all the time about not hitting it with hammers or running it over with a car, you're entire life has started to revolve around babying it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah...but do you really want a phone that you have to avoid hitting with a hammer? Once you have to start thinking all the time about not hitting it with hammers or running it over with a car, you're entire life has started to revolve around babying it.

I think that is your problem. If you believe in this FUD then you'll try to babysit it while others just treat it like all normal phones they have and be fine.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I think that is your problem. If you believe in this FUD then you'll try to babysit it while others just treat it like all normal phones they have and be fine.

Buddy he was being sarcastic.

But your correct none the less. Treat the phone like a phone...like any other iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Um...did you see the new consumer reports video?

Its strong than the iPhone 6 and HTC ONE M8...let me say that again, stronger than the HTC ONE M8.

The M8 has been considered one of the best built, high quality handsets on the market. Short of the camera...its competitive with the iPhone. Yet it bends sooner than the plus and six. Do you hear about it? No. Has it been bent by a bunch of people? No.

Battery life? Are you joking? Its obvious you have a bias here somewhere.

These are both great devices.

I wasn't implying that the battery life is bad, just that they could have made a stronger device without a protruding camera *and* with a larger battery, but they prefer a thin and fragile device.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
I can't believe people are actually buying the bullshirt this youtuber feeding us with. I mean seriously? It looks like he is holding a clay. Even if it does bend, it's definitely not THAT easy. If he tried to fake a video he needed to fake it better. Make it seem a little bit hard or anything.
The consumer reports and the video that dude posted about people trying to bend it in the street seems more credible.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I wasn't implying that the battery life is bad, just that they could have made a stronger device without a protruding camera *and* with a larger battery, but they prefer a thin and fragile device.

Again...its not fragile. Its stronger than the best made android phone.

Whats phones are stronger? Lg and Samsung phablets (LG G3 and Note 3). What do you expect from a plastic phone with a magnesium core? Durable.

We get a durable, but slightly more fragile phone do the high quality material. What would you prefer? I can't image the fall back if apple had made their iPhones plastic.

Watch the consumer video on the front page of macrumors. The plus is not fragile. Its big, but its durable enough.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Whats phones are stronger? Lg and Samsung phablets (LG G3 and Note 3). What do you expect from a plastic phone with a magnesium core? Durable.

We get a durable, but slightly more fragile phone do the high quality material. What would you prefer? I can't image the fall back if apple had made their iPhones plastic.

Watch the consumer video on the front page of macrumors. The plus is not fragile. Its big, but its durable enough.

I've watched the consumer video and remain unconvinced by it. You guys slate the other 'bend' videos because you claim the guy isn't bending the phones in real time and yet we don't see the consumer video guy perform the tests! We just see some bent phones and a list of data.
My big beef is that the phones have pressure applied directly in the middle, whereas in a pocket the pressure is going to be applied differently. The 6+ bends at the weakest point which is around the volume buttons, and if you happen to apply pressure there (which could absolutely happen in a pocket scenario) then the phone will bend MUCH easier than it would if pressure was applied dead-centre like in the consumer test video.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014

Durable and fragile? It can't be both.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Durable and fragile? It can't be both.

I'm not sure what to do with people who can't read/comprehend my post.

I said it was durable. I said it it more fragile than a galaxy note 3, made of magnesium core with a plastic exoskeleton.

Therefore, the word durable and fragile can both be used in the same sentence.

People are to quick to reply, and don't fully read the post.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not sure what to do with people who can't read/comprehend my post.

I said it was durable. I said it it more fragile than a galaxy note 3, made of magnesium core with a plastic exoskeleton.

Therefore, the word durable and fragile can both be used in the same sentence.

People are to quick to reply, and don't fully read the post.

Durable, yet more fragile due to high quality materials?

Your right, that makes complete sense.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I've avoided commenting on these threads. But I wanted to point out that several of the I'll call them crumple YouTube videos use the same technique. These guys are applying pressure to a small area concentrated area with their thumbs on the aluminum back. Likely, they deform the aluminum where their thumbs are and weaken the structural integrity of the phone, then continue to apply force and it crumples. The original YouTube that started this his bending technique was not as concentrated, hence it appeared to take much more effort. Where as the consumer reports and other lab tests appear to use a much wider point to apply pressure. In another bendgate thread, there was a guy who ran into the corner of a table and bent his 6+ and you could see a dimple. Point being, both scenarios are probably real, with the YouTube being less likely to happen in normal use. I feel the lab test are more representative of normal use and the 6+ is just as durable as its predecessor.

Question: has anyone tried bending with the pressure point on the screen side?

Let's get Mythbuster on this.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Yep. I often times like to stand laying down.

Aluminum, ceramic, etc are more premium than plastic. They are also harder, but less elastic. Yet, they are considered premium over plastic. Plastic can be bent, and will return to its original shape.

Materials can be durable but less durable/more fragile than another material. Sapphire is extremely durable and premium, yet it is more fragile than diamond.

If you can't understand simple physics and common sense, stop making pointless post.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Aluminum isn't exactly a precious material. Its a light metal that doesn't corrode easily are its main benefits.

You don't exactly have to be a physicist to see the flaws in consumer reports testing. While a good reference its not a good example of how something bends in your pocket. The roundness of the HTC's back will obviously add some rigidity too it and CRs test immediately compromises that by applying a very narrow point of pressure which is very unlike what would happen in your pockets. This is further illustrated when people actually try to bend the iPhone by hand, finding the 6 harder (almost impossible) to bend by hand but not the 6+. According to CR they bend at the same lbs which is likely true but hard to get your hands on it with the same leverage just showing all the variables here.

Lets keep in mind that this all started from people actually reporting bending phones. There were several on this forum only a day after the phone was released. Only then did these test (albeit stupid test) of bending phones start.

Personally I'll worry about it when I have a problem with it. If I bought products based on what COULD go wrong I wouldn't own anything.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Aluminum isn't exactly a precious material. Its a light metal that doesn't corrode easily are its main benefits.

You don't exactly have to be a physicist to see the flaws in consumer reports testing. While a good reference its not a good example of how something bends in your pocket. The roundness of the HTC's back will obviously add some rigidity too it and CRs test immediately compromises that by applying a very narrow point of pressure which is very unlike what would happen in your pockets. This is further illustrated when people actually try to bend the iPhone by hand, finding the 6 harder (almost impossible) to bend by hand but not the 6+. According to CR they bend at the same lbs which is likely true but hard to get your hands on it with the same leverage just showing all the variables here.

Lets keep in mind that this all started from people actually reporting bending phones. There were several on this forum only a day after the phone was released. Only then did these test (albeit stupid test) of bending phones start.

Personally I'll worry about it when I have a problem with it. If I bought products based on what COULD go wrong I wouldn't own anything.

Touche'.

Agreed. Keep in mind I mean aluminum is considered premium on a cell phone...but not otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.