New XPS 15 absolutely crushes MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grennis, Jan 5, 2017.

1. grennis macrumors member

Kaby lake CPU
    32GB RAM
    GTX 1050 GPU
    4K Touchscreen

Looks like MBP badly needs a refresh or this could get embarrassing quick

2. mag2001 macrumors 6502

Still a windows machine!

3. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Wonder what battery life you'd get if you spec it like that...

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

care to elaborate?

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Comparing low tier kabylake to high tier skylake is pointless. The skylake chip is better.

6. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Competition is beginning to rip past Apple at this point. They have a great opportunity to get a leg up on Apple since Apple is so sluggish in the innovation department these days. It's just not the same company anymore.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

And what are you using for this "comparison"?

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Performance.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The XPS is and will remain a good value, but those who only look at the superficial specs will be more impressed than those who look at the details. The XPS already offered 32 GB RAM and a 4K touchscreen, so the main new parts are the processors. The Kaby Lake isn't a great leap from the Skylake in most respects, should save some power. Even with the larger battery, though, don't expect great battery life with DDR4 RAM, especially if you get 32 GB. The GPU looks like a solid jump. The MBP's ports will remain more powerful, with better external monitor support.

I think Macs will survive.

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Just speculation here, but a Kaby Lake with higher clock speed probably have better "performance" than Skylake with lower clock speed.

11. dk808 macrumors 6502a

This.

And even worse, its a Dell

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

There are currently only low wattage kaby lake processors which can't compete with high wattage skylake.

13. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Dell will have forums dedicated to the new XPS 15 where people will be ripping it to shreds due to its own unique teething problems and the odd poster will say - 'I'm returning it for the TBMBP as Dell have lost it'. The grass is always greener on the other side folks.

I personally prefer the Mac's far superior craftsmanship, OS, keyboard, balanced display, speakers and solid performance across all levels to Dell's offering. But that's just me...

14. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Any reduction in power cunsumption from going to Kaby Lake from Skylake (which isn't much to begin yet, but admittedly, is worth mentioning) is undoubtedly offset by that GPU. More so with the 4K display.

15. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Here we go!!!!! Prepare to lower your IQ everyone!

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I'm afraid the days of knee-jerk dismissal of Windows are past us.

17. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I wouldn't consider the Intel Core i7-7700HQ which is has a 45W TDP to be low wattage.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    Dell has been making very decent laptops as of the late.

18. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Don't include any meaningful details at all. Good job.

19. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Does W10 still take ages to shut down like W7, while installing the often weekly updates?
    and which is your preferred anti virus software, I find all of them a pain to be honest.

20. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It depends. I suppose if you have a 5400RPM hard drive.

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple makes the best computers, period. Software and hardware.

I was a huge phone fanboy for 12 years now. Everything related with phone news, I checked on it almost every day. Now all I care for are decent laptops. Why? Because the mobile industry is saturated and I can always pick up a sub-$100 Android that can do 90% on what any flagship can do except take better pictures or have a 2K display. I am more excited about the latest Mac refreshes than the latest rumor with iPhones.

i know people say their phone is their most beloved gadget. Everyone needs a phone as it can save your life. My first laptop was my used device over my phones from 2006-2010 before the smartphone phenomenon in this decade. Whatever laptop I enjoy using will be my favorite device because its online capabilities is far superior on it and media consumption seems more comfortable thanks to the screen not needing a kickstand, loud external speaker, and apps like VLC player to play any format. And Macs aren't easily replaced with cheaper alternatives compared to smartphones.

Give me a (post-Haswell era) MacBook any day over the latest Android flagship, iPhone 7 and SE, and iPad. Anytime I walk into an Apple Store, I look at the design of each Mac like the iMac and MacBook. I avoid looking at the iOS devices because I see so many people looking at smaller screens on a daily basis. Nothing new with them. But Macs get rarely updated which makes refresh announcement draw more anticipation.

iOS, been there, done that.
    OS X for life.

Please give us an iPad Pro that can run OS X.

[​IMG]

22. deany macrumors 68030

deany

We have SSD still seems to take ages .pvm to be fair.

23. fs454 macrumors 65816

Windows is not an acceptable replacement for an avid user of macOS. It just isn't. I use it daily for gaming and a couple select apps via boot camp, and it's just not there no matter how much you want it to be - the little things will anger the crap out of anyone used to the way a Mac works. I put up with it for IT purposes, but Adobe apps kind of suck on W10 and are horribly optimized, every single laptop trackpad and its corresponding drivers are terrible and scary bad compared to the trackpad in macOS, etc.

24. rklinkhammer macrumors newbie

rklinkhammer

I have just got my 3rd dell laptop in 6 months at work due to poor quality, and hardware issues. Certainly would no longer buy dell on my dime.

25. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

But it crushes the MBPro.

-crushes it-