New Year Resolutions 2014

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So carrying on from my 2013 New Year resolutions thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1516698/

Is anybody making any? For those of you that posted last year, did you keep them?

I said I wanted to exercise more and lose weight. I went through good spells but ultimately I'm about a stone heavier than this time last year :(

Going to try staying off the booze for a while to see if that helps with the weight. Doubt I'll make a year though. Maybe a month!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm not a big one for making resolutions though I think each year I try to be a better person.

My goal (resolution???) this year is to be sincere with my faith, i.e., live what I believe.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I have a few. Some silly, some not.

I want to floss regularly. I never changed how I brushed from 1-18 and had one filling. Since then, I've had 3-4 more. I want to stop that trend. I've already started this one and it's going well.

I want to drink less pop or stop completely. I typically binge drink on weekends and little/none during the week, but it's probably a can a day averaged out. I'd like that to decline or stop.

Lastly, I'd like to lose a little more weight. Especially in the summer. I'm like the opposite of a beach bod. I typically lose weight in the fall/winter and then gain it back in the summer. I did pretty well on losing some excess weight last year, but I could lose some more.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a few. Some silly, some not.

I want to floss regularly. I never changed how I brushed from 1-18 and had one filling. Since then, I've had 3-4 more. I want to stop that trend. I've already started this one and it's going well.

I want to drink less pop or stop completely. I typically binge drink on weekends and little/none during the week, but it's probably a can a day averaged out. I'd like that to decline or stop.

Lastly, I'd like to lose a little more weight. Especially in the summer. I'm like the opposite of a beach bod. I typically lose weight in the fall/winter and then gain it back in the summer. I did pretty well on losing some excess weight last year, but I could lose some more.
If you do drink pop or fruit juice, my dentist told me to drink through a straw as its better for your teeth. As for flossing, I go through spells (usually just before and after the dentist visits) but always mean to do it more regularly.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
I want to gain more weight (I'm 5'10 and 100 pounds), and I want to boost some of my school marks along with getting the highest mark in a given subject (either computer programming or mathematics). And, uhh...probably just do a bit more physical activity. :D

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I said I wanted to exercise more and lose weight. I went through good spells but ultimately I'm about a stone heavier than this time last year :(

Going to try staying off the booze for a while to see if that helps with the weight. Doubt I'll make a year though. Maybe a month!
The power of the subconscience.

Your subconscious mind is stupid. It filters out little words like "not", "lose". So from your resolutions, it will only grab the words "exercise", "weight", "booze" and "weight" and will try to get exercise, weight, booze, and more weight.

Make and repeat resolutions with positive words. Not "lose weight", but "get slim", "get fit", "get healthy", "get a good shape". Resolutions that your subconscious mind can't turn bad by dropping a word.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The power of the subconscience.

Your subconscious mind is stupid. It filters out little words like "not", "lose". So from your resolutions, it will only grab the words "exercise", "weight", "booze" and "weight" and will try to get exercise, weight, booze, and more weight.

Make and repeat resolutions with positive words. Not "lose weight", but "get slim", "get fit", "get healthy", "get a good shape". Resolutions that your subconscious mind can't turn bad by dropping a word.
I'm not sure the issue lies with my subconscious mind as much as that I'm just greedy.

I'll pop down the pub and have a think about it….

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I got 4/7 of my 2013 resolutions. 3 of them dead due to travel and other external events.

However, my 2014 goals include a minimum saving of $10k for Graduate school (Graduate school to start sometime in 2017). Another one is gain a nice promotion at work (there is an opening I'm eyeing on).

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Mine are to make none. After a certain age, giving up some of those little unhealthy pleasures take away what is fun to do.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
New Year's resolutions are bull ****. If you really want to do something, do it. This I'm going to change because it's a new year is laughable.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Revise more for my exams. Got 10 A*s and 1 A in my mocks, but y'know, that's 1 A too many in my book... :p

Other than that, I think it's going to be a pretty stressful year, so let's take one thing at a time!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Two for 2013 were to draw every day & not cuss so much. I did pretty well on the first & abysmally on the second.

So for 2014:
• Draw every day, digital & real stuff.
• Reduce cussing by 50%.
• Eat oatmeal again instead of Eggo's waffles.
• Floss more frequently, ---might as well throw that in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.