Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New York Mag's Lauren Kern Named First Editor-in-Chief of Apple News

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lauren Kern, Executive Editor at New York Magazine, has been named as the first editor-in-chief of Apple News, according to Politico. The hiring has since been confirmed by an Apple spokesperson.

It's unclear what exactly the role will entail, but it suggests Apple has bigger ambitions of some kind for its News app on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Apple News is not a firsthand source of news, so Kern's role could be at least partially related to curation of other news sources. In February, Apple executive Eddy Cue said the company wants to "vet and make sure that the news providers" in Apple News are "legitimate," in an effort to cut down on "clickbait."

Apple News gathers stories from several leading news sources and displays them all in one place. The app launched on iOS 9 in the United States, and it has since expanded to Australia and the United Kingdom. The app was redesigned for iOS 10 with a bolder, simpler interface that puts content front and center.

Article Link: New York Mag's Lauren Kern Named First Editor-in-Chief of Apple News

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
I'm loving Apple News. I save all the stories I want to read and get to them when I have time. By adding the sites I mainly visit, I've found that my news stream is pretty personalized.

oatmealeveryday

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Next you'll complain that they don't sell Galaxy phones in their stores, as if you don't have a choice to shop elsewhere.

uh wat? this is obviously about Apple having an edge in controlling news stories people see.

my mother, who can barely use her iPad, shares articles from apple news with me regularly.

users do have a choice. the same way windows 10 users have a choice to use google instead of bing.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
uh wat? this is obviously about Apple having an edge in controlling news stories people see.

my mother, who can barely use her iPad, shares articles from apple news with me regularly.

users do have a choice. the same way windows 10 users have a choice to use google instead of bing.
This is probably about Apple trying to increase the quality of the articles highlighted on their service. It's gotten better, but in the early days there was a lot of clickbait-y crap and the serious, professional journalism got buried.

Reactions: Gasu E.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I use Apple News and like it for the most part but find that I get constant feeds from sources I haven't chosen to follow, including Fox News and a lot of odd news sites I've never heard of. Also, they frequently don't seem to base my feed on subjects I've indicated interest in or clicked on (Technology, world events) and feed way too many celebrity stories. I suspect feeding frequency and content must be based on funding from these unwanted news sites? I am hoping that this means Apple plans on moving toward more carefully curated sources and giving readers more control over their news feeds.

Reactions: Huck

cardfan

Contributor
Mar 23, 2012
Can't say I ever use that app. Is there a way to stop ads yet? Plus it'd give me stuff I didn't want and just be inefficient. Usually just check twitter.

Not sure why they'd need a person from a rag for this. Maybe Apple likes wasting money.

alco

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I liked Apple News in iOS 9 but the redesign that came in iOS 10 was a step back IMO. They took away the most basic feature of a reading app of showing which articles you've already opened to read. The overall design also leaves a lot to be desired compared to iOS 9.

Regardless, I'm excited about the idea of original content that Apple us pursuing in multiple areas. Maybe News will get some attention in that area.

Reactions: BulkSlash

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Can't say I ever use that app. Is there a way to stop ads yet? Plus it'd give me stuff I didn't want and just be inefficient. Usually just check twitter.

Not sure why they'd need a person from a rag for this. Maybe Apple likes wasting money.

Just check the News app on your phone and see if there are any ads.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
I use Apple News and like it for the most part but find that I get constant feeds from sources I haven't chosen to follow, including Fox News and a lot of odd news sites I've never heard of. Also, they frequently don't seem to base my feed on subjects I've indicated interest in or clicked on (Technology, world events) and feed way too many celebrity stories. I suspect feeding frequency and content must be based on funding from these unwanted news sites? I am hoping that this means Apple plans on moving toward more carefully curated sources and giving readers more control over their news feeds.
Instead of choosing interests (like technology or world events), choose the sources you like to read (e.g. MacRumors, The Verge, Ars Technica, Wired, NYT, The Atlantic, etc.) Apple News will populate your feed with mostly stories from those sources. Next step is to click the little heart on stories you enjoy, and save interesting ones for later reading. Apple News will begin to learn what you like to read. The final step is to "mute" the sources you don't want to see in your feed.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm curious to see what she will bring to the app. I still rely on the iPhone/iPad/web NYT for getting my news. Although the Apple News notifications from NYT/CNN/Wall Street Journal/Washington Post certainly help in terms of breaking news.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I use clipboard. Much better. Flipboard is available in my country. I would probably carry on using Flipboard..

Reactions: Naraxus

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I forgot all about the Apple News app. Once they let us delete the stock apps I removed it and didn't look back. Too little control over the content and not enough content of what I wanted to read. I haven't looked at it in a long while. I wonder if it's improved any? Couldn't do RSS worth a darn at the time which made it even more useless to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.