Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Macgasm said:
On the October 16th, supposedly off the record, meeting at the Internal Neiman Jornalism Lab at Harvard Bill Keller, Executive Editor for the New York Times, might have let something slip: when listing several platforms the Times is working on bringing content to he mentioned something that could be the oh so desirable Apple tablet. At 8.33 in the video he says:

“I’m hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate…”

Full article and video here.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I think the great unknown here is whether this guy has been negotiating content deals with Apple and really knows about it or whether he is assuming it will be on it's way from the sheer volume of rumours like everyone else.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
New York Times Editor Refers to 'Impending Apple Slate'

A report from Gawker about recent comments by The New York Times executive editor Bill Keller regarding Apple's tablet project has been gaining a significant amount of attention today. While Apple's tablet has been rumored for several years and evidence has continued to mount that a release is likely in the relatively near future, public comments from those likely to have inside knowledge of the device have understandably been scarce.

Keller's brief comment came at an October 16th "all hands" meeting for the newspaper's digital staff at which Keller detailed a number of issues the paper is focusing on in the next few months. Among the issues mentioned by Keller was delivery of content to mobile devices, including the "impending Apple slate".
Sixth, we need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that.
The Nieman Journalism Lab at Harvard University has published comments on and a video of the speech, which was reportedly meant to be an "off the record" presentation. Keller's comment on Apple's tablet occurs approximately 8:15 into the video.

Article Link: New York Times Editor Refers to 'Impending Apple Slate'

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Slate would be a great name for such a device. After the oh-so-lame moniker "iPhone," Apple needs something more distinctive for its next device. The "iGadget" meme is growing tiresome.

If they name this thing (if it exists) the iTablet, I'll puke.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Ready the "what I really meant to say...." statement in 3....2...1...

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
'Slate' ... I like the name. The reference made in the presentation was 'impending' ... I hope that means before the end of the year!

It would be another device that would simply open the doors to more people switch to Apple.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Slate would be a great name for such a device....If they name this thing (if it exists) the iTablet, I'll puke.
Same here. Apple really needs to get away from its i[name] system. iPod, iPhone, iTouch, iMac.... It gets old and displays a lack of creativity, which is not what Apple is known for. (in general)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Wonder if the iSlate will come with iChalk?

I kinda hope so, if you're meaning a stylus. I find that some people write faster than they type. Plus, with drawing programs, a stylus would be much easier to use than your fingers, IMO. Fingers are too clumsy; they're not precise enough. I'm sure some people will say "Why would you want to draw on a tablet anyways? Use a desktop!" Well, some people may prefer a tablet to a desktop.

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
Slip of the tongue? Or carefully planned teaser......?

BTW, get ready for the "Flintstones" themed special version of the "Slate"...

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Same here. Apple really needs to get away from its i[name] system. iPod, iPhone, iTouch, iMac.... It gets old and displays a lack of creativity, which is not what Apple is known for. (in general)

Given their latest earnings report, I'd say most people don't mind :)

dmcdan0

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
I'd be forcing people to give up all their online devices, cameras, etc. before holding a meeting that was to be off the record.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well if it was an unintentional leak Jobs is probably throwing a hissy fit of epic proportions and chewing carpet in Infinite Loop.

He'll probably just trash the whole project now…
And the NY Times is definitely off his Christmas card list.

:rolleyes:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It won't be called Apple iTablet or Apple iSlate, and what he said wasn't Apple slate, it was Apple Slate. The product will be called Slate. You heard it here first!

pj4533

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008

I know iDon'tMind :D

Horrible puns aside, this does sound like a legit slipup. If you notice he is very much reading from his notes, and further you'd think if it was just a "preparing for a rumored device" they would call it a tablet, as that is what has been rumored. This is the first I have heard of 'slate' whether as a descriptive term or device proper name.

-pj

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Mr. Slate

Flintstoooonnnnneee!

Mr-Slate-the-flintstones-8644086-183-300.gif

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Well if it was an unintentional leak Jobs is probably throwing a hissy fit of epic proportions and chewing carpet in Infinite Loop.

He'll probably just trash the whole project now…
And the NY Times is definitely off his Christmas card list.

:rolleyes:

No, this is great. A leak by someone that Jobs can't afford to be pissed off at. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.