[News - 2011] Spint and T-Mobile In Merger Talks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gkarris, Mar 9, 2011.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That would make them the third largest carrier. What would their name be I wonder....

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wow, please don't say that again.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Sprint Mobile duh...

I hope this doesn't happen for the fact that if Sprint or T Mobile ever do get the iPhone you can bet that they would have cheaper plans than Att and Verizon. If they do merge they would have around 85 million and they probably charge more for their plans

6. Orion126 macrumors regular

SprinT-Mobile or SprinTMobile

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

8. predwas macrumors member

Steve Jobs' next strategic move is to buy up SprinT-Mobile and turn them into parking lots with the death star.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Two carriers with crap networks coming together....oh the possibilities.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

NexT-Mobile. Going old school and bringing back the Nextel flavor :p

11. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, I meant GSM...

The point is that T-Mobile will migrate to the technology Sprint is using...

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

And that is a bad thing? So it is okay to have Verizon and AT&T continue ripping us off?

Pretty selfish and sour grapes mentality you got there.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Wow, really hope this happens and they get the iPhone as well.
    Then we're talking about some issues for the Android growth.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

This is Sprint and T-Mobile we are talking here.

Not AT&T and Verizon and their ripoff prices. All carriers are crooks and garbage if you ask me. No different than politicians.

Good move by Sprint at ditching WiMax. LTE is destined to become the global standard. The CDMA vs GSM confusion will no longer exist.

15. bwrairen macrumors 6502

And why would this not be a good thing??

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

If Sprint and T Mobile don't merge and get they both get iPhone they will have a lot lower plans. If they merge and get the iPhone they will have the same plans as Verizon and Att maybe ten dollars a month cheaper.

17. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

They won't get the iPhone - Verizon and AT&T are paying to keep them off...

More merger news today...

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...al-for-potential-t-mobilesprint-merger-likely

Interestingly enough - I saw a few T-Mobile stores in the area close - next to Sprint stores... :eek:

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

maybe together they can do some good. Separate I always thought they both kind of sucked. I had t-mobile for years, they were my first carrier when I turned 18. But they refused to live up to their end of THEIR OWN warranty and I had to ditch them after several years. Was with sprint for about a year and a half and they were slightly better. When I came to ATT a couple years ago I was much happier. I get service in all the same spots my t-mobile phones used to crap out on me. I live in a strong area for ATT though, I understand their service is not as good elsewhere but hey, that's any company.

Anyway, let em merge. Can't really do much harm.

19. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I can't see this move being very good for consumers. That will leave 3 major nationwide service providers.

You'd better bet your booty that prices will inevitably go up for new plans after this merger goes through.

I was with Sprint for years and then switched to T-mobile about 8 years ago. Sprint is the worst of the 4 carriers here in Atlanta. T-mobile is actually pretty awesome. Their coverage here is every bit as good as VZ or ATT.

20. draz macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Less providers is bad.... Need an example? Look north... Canada has 3 big networks and they all charge the same rip off rates. Zero competition.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

SprintMobile:D

22. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Two drunks holding each other up... not a great potential success story there.

Sprint's mismanagement of just about, gosh, everything is shocking. Well, at least it used to be shocking, until I learned that it's just modus operandi for them.

Trying to ram two poorly managed networks together would almost certainly not end well.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon bought Alltell and now with Sprint and Tmobile merging we will have less and less carrier options.
    Not a good thing cause it could create a monopoly of the 3 major companies fixing plans, charging and offering whatever they want and prices not staying competative.
    Sucks.