Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nothing really new there, every time there is a baseband update, you can't unlock it right away, and there is always the chance that it will never get unlock. (it is a lot harder to find holes and exploits on the baseband than on iOS).

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I personally don't see any reason for unlocking anyway. I mean, you did get a 2 year contract with your iPhone, right? What are you going to do once you unlock your phone and are still in your 2 year contract term?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I personally don't see any reason for unlocking anyway. I mean, you did get a 2 year contract with your iPhone, right? What are you going to do once you unlock your phone and are still in your 2 year contract term?

there are many ways to get a iPhone without 2 Year contract, including an official one from AT&T. Most common reason to need to unlock your phone is if you are traveling overseas and you want/need to use your phone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I guess you also assume that no one is ever going to go out of the U.S.

ichiban06

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I thought you can preserve your old baseband when updating to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella?

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
there are many ways to get a iPhone without 2 Year contract, including an official one from AT&T. Most common reason to need to unlock your phone is if you are traveling overseas and you want/need to use your phone.

Yep. After my AT&T bill for $750 from a week long trip in Europe it makes more sense then ever to me. I should have been more careful with international data roaming, etc. Next time I will rent a local SIM.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
NEWSFLASH: If you upgrade your baseband you will have to wait to unlock and may not be able to.

NEWSFLASH: Colonies win the Revolutionary War.

anitrajw

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
What if one has to leave the country? The ability to unlock the iPhone raises the resale value also, keep that in mind ;)

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
What if one has to leave the country?
I take my iPhone with me: how else are people gonna keep in touch with me?

The ability to unlock the iPhone raises the resale value also, keep that in mind ;)
Resale for what? I'm not gonna sell my iPhone: I'm on a contract. After the contract the unlock is free by the carrier.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
in the US is NOT avaliable, AT&T doesn't unlock phones after contrat is up. (They actually have done it in some cases, but it is unofficial)

Is this a restriction that Apple made AT&T put in their contract with them? When I had my crappy BB Bold AT&T sent me an unlock code after the contract email with a passcode to unlock the BB.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is this a restriction that Apple made AT&T put in their contract with them? When I had my crappy BB Bold AT&T sent me an unlock code after the contract email with a passcode to unlock the BB.

I don't think so, they just don't do it, I think the real reason is that in the US, the only carrier that can fully support the iPhone is AT&T, (T-mobile can't support 3G on the iPhone). also the upgrade cycle is been 1 year so many people just upgrade so the demand haven't been so big. Now this is just my guess. I don;t think is part of the contract, AT&T just doesn't do it.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I take my iPhone with me: how else are people gonna keep in touch with me?

Resale for what? I'm not gonna sell my iPhone: I'm on a contract. After the contract the unlock is free by the carrier.

Ok Trat now you're just being a troll, if you still fail to see the appeal and convenience of an Unlocked iphone than you're just being a ....douche.

What if I want to gift it to my cousin who lives in Kuzbekistan after my 2 year contract is up?
What if Apple doesn't sell iphones in Kuzbekistan, and I want my cousin to be the coolest kid in school with an iPhone?

Ok now I'm being a troll :p

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

Most people sell their iPhone after a year so they can buy the new one. It is also when most people are eligible for a new upgrade....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.