Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Yep. After my AT&T bill for $750 from a week long trip in Europe it makes more sense then ever to me. I should have been more careful with international data roaming, etc. Next time I will rent a local SIM.

:eek: Oh my gosh, I feel your pain. I dont suppose AT&T would accept an apology, would they?

icedd

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
There should be a rep system on this board to weed out the trolls who give misleading and false information.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Is this a restriction that Apple made AT&T put in their contract with them? When I had my crappy BB Bold AT&T sent me an unlock code after the contract email with a passcode to unlock the BB.

BB != iPhone. AT&T will unlock any out-of-contract phone (I've had some unlocked well within contract, actually) except for an iPhone. And no, it is not an Apple restriction; it's an AT&T decision.

More incorrect information.

Mike, krUnIzZlE is absolutely right: AT&T will not unlock an iPhone.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
That AT&T contract seems to suck large testicles.

o2 in the UK are a bit crap, but at least i've unlocked my iPhone free of charge (still under 2 year contract).

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
BB != iPhone. AT&T will unlock any out-of-contract phone (I've had some unlocked well within contract, actually) except for an iPhone. And no, it is not an Apple restriction; it's an AT&T decision.

Just to clarify, it's not an arbitrary decision on AT&T's part. They won't unlock *any* phone for which they have an exclusivity agreement.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
A simple question then, how do you know they won't?

Because that's what the whole debate that the country has been fighting over ever since the first iPhone. ATT won't because they never have, thus, until a change happens, they won't. Not too hard to believe really...

atrac7

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Can we get back on topic to the actual title of this thread?

Does anyone else agree that the statement is just bogus "YOU ARE SCREWED IF YOU ARE ON 4.1"??

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Yes it's bogus, just TU upgrade to 4.1 without updating baseband and all is well. The subject of the thread wasn't worth mentioning, that's why we strayed off topic.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Common Mike, you can do better than that.
You really dont know that nobody was able to officially unlock their US iphone thru AT&T for the past 4 years.
There's even a class action suit about this I believe against AT&T and Apple.

Just to clarify, it's not an arbitrary decision on AT&T's part. They won't unlock *any* phone for which they have an exclusivity agreement.

Thats false.
I have requested and received unlock codes for many phones that only AT&T sold in the US plenty of times. Even only a few months into the contract.
They will unlock all cellphones they sell but the iphone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
. . . you're pulling my leg, right?
Here is the proof for the non-believers:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?solutionId=61097&t=solutionTab

"iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler"

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I take my iPhone with me: how else are people gonna keep in touch with me?

Resale for what? I'm not gonna sell my iPhone: I'm on a contract. After the contract the unlock is free by the carrier.

Some people has different sim cards while they travel. I just went to NZ and used my unlock phone to tether with NZ's carrier. That's one of the reason why people needs or wants unlock iphone. I suppose you only stay in US and never travel.

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
OK MikePA
You asked for proof and Carlanga just obliged you. :D

Hopefully this iPhone isn't unlockable in the US question, which has been discussed ad nauseam, is resolved.

atrac7

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Yes it's bogus, just TU upgrade to 4.1 without updating baseband and all is well. The subject of the thread wasn't worth mentioning, that's why we strayed off topic.

uh oh .... :(

what about those who have the phone that just came with 4.1? I.e. no chance of Tiny Umbrella-ing it before going to 4.1?

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Moon

And how about the people that are buying new iPhones that come with iOS 4.1. What you think bout that???? Take your time answering the question. Dont worry.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
I don't know much about jail breaking iPhones but when I get my iPhone4 next week I can't jail break it or my 3G that's been updated to the newest iOS? Has Apple blocked the ability to unlock iPhone now?.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I don't know much about jail breaking iPhones but when I get my iPhone4 next week I can't jail break it or my 3G that's been updated to the newest iOS? Has Apple blocked the ability to unlock iPhone now?.

chpwn is an excellent coder and Cydia maintainer - however, he should not move in to Public Relations,

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Here is the proof for the non-believers:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?solutionId=61097&t=solutionTab

"iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler"

Thanks. That's the information I was looking for instead of anecdotal posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.