News Corp Considering Dedicated News Product for Tablets

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is great news. At least one of the news companies understands what the future is.

The Wall Street Journal app is amazing by the way.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Watch out for the pricing, however...

Sounds like the same old song and dance to me -- News Corp. trying to figure out how to make money. Don't blame them.

I have no problem paying for news content, but it insults my very limited intelligence when Murdoch charges 50% MORE for the WSJ in electronic format than he does for the print edition.

A fair and sane price for WSJ electronic edition should be less than the print cost. The printed edition professional subscription cost is less than $10 a month. Therefore the electronic edition, which lacks all the associate production expenses should probably be half that. But he charges $15 a month. INSANITY. At least 3 times what it is worth!

I want news outlets to figure this out so they can survive, but don't treat us like we are idiots.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Mobile fear-mongering! Can't wait to raise my anxiety level.

Who am I kidding - I wouldn't read this if it was free.

gdbleb

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
I just don't get this.
Content is content regardless (to a degree) of the delivery mechanism.
I will pay for "good" content.

The thing I balk at is paying 3 times for the same content like the Wall Street Journal wants me to do (1) WSJ on web, 2) WSJ iPhone, & 3) WSJ iPad).
This stinks of the same approach.
Also there is no way New Corp is going to restrict content generated by this business unit from "leaking" into its other products. "Dedicated" indeed.

It's the same as the music industry. I paid for the Rolling Stones on vinyl, then it was 8 track, then cassette, then CD, then SACD. Thanks but no more of this.

S. Jobs gets it with iBooks. Buy the book once and you have it on iPhone, iPad, perhaps the cloud when it arrives.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
The Fox News bashing is soooo predictable. Yawn.

If Apple ever releases a Fox News product, to be released exclusively at WalMart, I think this site would implode.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I wouldn't pay for online content like this. Google.com/news is great and the search function is awesome. What more do I need?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B405 Safari/531.21.10)

Out freaking standing! I would love more quality FoxNews on my iPhone and iPad. Their iPhone app is already excellent by the way.
Same here. Glad to hear Apple is playing it neutral here. It is a nice alternative to the Ministry of True and the Ministry of Love that most of the three letter networks have become. Things would be different if DuMont wasn't shutdown by a few corporate psychopaths in the '50s.

As usual, New Corp will skyrocket in ratings and those that hide from reality and their own transgressions will continually to bitch about it here.

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
Not a surprise as Jobs and Murdoch seem to have had their hands in each others pants so much recently, but really this is yet another reason why Apple and their Walled Garden approach is the wrong way to be heading. They'll nickel and dime those who actually read such News Corporation trash (which is fair enough, they're dumb all over anyway so why not screw them some more rightwing propaganda).

It's funny how so many people equate Jobs to some left-field deep thinker when really he just wants your dimes and will happily team up with the most reactionary moguls in the world if need be. Yet another niche market for Apple to exploit. Thankfully it is still very much a niche. It would be a truly horrible world if it fitted into his worldview.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B405 Safari/531.21.10)

Out freaking standing! I would love more quality FoxNews on my iPhone and iPad. Their iPhone app is already excellent by the way.
Your sarcasm is not appreciated.

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I truly hope many of you here will join me in boycotting News Corporation by at least not purchasing this app and subscribing to this service. The propaganda dissemination and fear mongering in which this media conglomerate engages is disgraceful.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch won't be getting a penny of my money.
The Times is nothing compared to The Guardian or Independent.
Even for the entertainment value I would never pay anything to support a bunch of brain-dead morons who make up Fox News.
Nope his organization can do what it wants and charge as much as it wants. No low life that works for that organization can even come close to the quality of the BBC when it comes to news.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Why are people bashing Fox News? They provide good coverage of news and valuable opinion and analysis. What's the problem? I like it.

Anyway....dedicated content, specifically created for an iApp, sounds great. Gives you reason to "want" the app. Otherwise, why not just go to a website if you can get the same information?

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
No way will I pay good money for news that can be easily found elsewhere on the internet. It's just not worth it.

If enough people pass on the fees then the effort will be a failure and the news companies will go back to advertising. Either that or a very cheap monthly fee, like 99¢.

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Murdoch app team

He needs to hire in a new set of App designers before he starts thinking about charging. The Wan***s he has working on the Sunday Time App couldn't design there way out of a paper bag .

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sounds like the same old song and dance to me -- News Corp. trying to figure out how to make money. Don't blame them.

I have no problem paying for news content, but it insults my very limited intelligence when Murdoch charges 50% MORE for the WSJ in electronic format than he does for the print edition.

A fair and sane price for WSJ electronic edition should be less than the print cost. The printed edition professional subscription cost is less than $10 a month. Therefore the electronic edition, which lacks all the associate production expenses should probably be half that. But he charges $15 a month. INSANITY. At least 3 times what it is worth!

I want news outlets to figure this out so they can survive, but don't treat us like we are idiots.
Senility could be the culprit here.

And I do feel the same way. That's why I actually canceled my online WSJ subscription. I felt his approach to iPad content was simply an insult.

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
It's funny how so many people equate Jobs to some left-field deep thinker when really he just wants your dimes and will happily team up with the most reactionary moguls in the world if need be. Yet another niche market for Apple to exploit. Thankfully it is still very much a niche. It would be a truly horrible world if it fitted into his worldview.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that about Apple, even though it is a corporation and driven by the profit motive more than anything. It is significant, however, that in response to the irresponsible behavior on Fox News by Glenn Beck, Apple pulled all of its ads from the network. It is also important to note that while many advertisers have taken a symbolic stand against Beck by pulling their ads from his show, Apple took the extra step and pulled its advertising from Fox News entirely.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
What a load of crap.

(Duck! There be black helicopters a comin'!)
Sources please cause it ain't sweetie. There have been lots of books, "The Man Who Owns the News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch", "Rupert's Adventures in China: How Murdoch Lost A Fortune And Found A Wife", "The Murdoch Archipelago" just to name a few.

Before calling b.s., educate yourself, tin hats and all :p

EDIT: As to avoid OT political discussions, this is the last post re: News Corp. I'll respond to in this thread, otherwise take it to the political forum.