Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I'm disappointed everyone is so fixated on News Corporation and not the very new idea this app (or family of apps I assume) would represent. I think it's great!

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
VERY well stated :)

That's funny, it's directly contradictory to your previous posts. I loved this quote from your cited study...

"Internet news sources, National Public Radio, news magazines, and Rush Limbaugh's radio show have the best educated audiences, with each of these having at least 36% of their regular readers and listeners having graduated from college."

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
That's funny, it's directly contradictory to your previous posts. I loved this quote from your cited study...

"Internet news sources, National Public Radio, news magazines, and Rush Limbaugh's radio show have the best educated audiences, with each of these having at least 36% of their regular readers and listeners having graduated from college."

Thank you. Again, most of my comments and cites had no subjectivity, as you have just supported. I stated facts on both sides, some chose to read what they wanted, some chose to read them as they were. I noticed the individuals who responded the most were from a certain extreme end. Interesting. Again, thank you :).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Shocking! The MR crowd is liberal? I can't believe it!

Threads like this ought to just be cancelled before they start.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Probably the most important message here is don't be sucked in. Don't choose a 'side' and don't become a devoted, brainwashed 'fan' of any single news outlet.

Use as many news sources as possible and keep smiling...

Ditto; I have been fed crap by too many people who profess to know the facts to believe in anything. Thankfully we can check these facts on the internet. This is what makes arguments from people like bedifferent so exasperating. I have taken the time to look up and confirm the facts. People like bedifferent are lazy and fail to check the facts. You would think the colossal sell job that was perpetrated by the main stream media to get Obama into the White House would give these people a clue as to what they are. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Bill O'Reilly has more people watching a single show then MSNBC has for a whole day. or the Drudge Report which is a digest listing numerous news links on 30 July had 27,381,477 hits. By the way the Drudge report app for the iPad, Touch, and iPhone is great. Before you Koolaid drinkers out there start gnashing at the teeth about the Drudge Report look at what is there. Links to the NYT's, Washington Post, Washington, Times, Yahoo News, Slate, The LA Times, Reuters, The Guardian, and other news papers, and broadcast services from around the world. For a whole host of journalists both main stream, and otherwise the Drudge Report has become their morning newspaper. In fact if you check the Drudge Report in the morning you can just about predict what news topics are going to be hot that day.

userexec

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B405 Safari/531.21.10)

Out freaking standing! I would love more quality FoxNews on my iPhone and iPad. Their iPhone app is already excellent by the way.

So I had to have a look to see whether the app was terrible (as an app) or pretty good. Turns out on a 2g Touch, every time I try to play a video the app locks up and a reset is needed. Ouch.

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Fox News is amazing, 24 hours of non-stop partisan bashing. News alert... news alert.... news alert. Or sometimes breaking news... breaking news ......hosted by 25 identical blonde women

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Though I agree with watching a wide variety if news outlets, surely its reasonable to draw the line somewhere. I find it impossible to watch the far right media machine with anything other than morbid curiosity. I wouldn't watch it for actual news. It is good to Internet fact check, but it makes sense to have a less broken primary news source in the first place.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
AMEN. Most people do not even know Murdoch is married to Wendi Deng, whom happens to support the Chinese Communist party and much of Murdochs cash flow supports those efforts. Ironic as that is antithetical to the beliefs of many of the viewers of Faux News. Read up on Murdoch and Star TV. Some interesting facts about what really goes on in conservative culture.

This is too important to just fade away.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Another NewsCorp

Here we go agan with NewsCrap.... Tabloids, Mindless Content, Hysteria, lots of disruptive ads about nothing....
So it will be over-priced, full of tabloid hysteria, hear-say and speculation... and ads that are selling junk stuff that people can get fat on... :D

Papajohn56

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2005
How about we leave the political smugness out of this, and talk about the price model instead? What a novel concept..

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ditto; I have been fed crap by too many people who profess to know the facts to believe in anything. Thankfully we can check these facts on the internet. This is what makes arguments from people like bedifferent so exasperating. I have taken the time to look up and confirm the facts. People like bedifferent are lazy and fail to check the facts. You would think the colossal sell job that was perpetrated by the main stream media to get Obama into the White House would give these people a clue as to what they are. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Bill O'Reilly has more people watching a single show then MSNBC has for a whole day. or the Drudge Report which is a digest listing numerous news links on 30 July had 27,381,477 hits. By the way the Drudge report app for the iPad, Touch, and iPhone is great. Before you Koolaid drinkers out there start gnashing at the teeth about the Drudge Report look at what is there. Links to the NYT's, Washington Post, Washington, Times, Yahoo News, Slate, The LA Times, Reuters, The Guardian, and other news papers, and broadcast services from around the world. For a whole host of journalists both main stream, and otherwise the Drudge Report has become their morning newspaper. In fact if you check the Drudge Report in the morning you can just about predict what news topics are going to be hot that day.

This reads like an ad for Fox News and the Drudge report, and yet you're claiming I'm "lazy" and "exasperating"? Pot. Meet kettle.

You claim I did not check facts, yet you do not cite which "facts" are inaccurate nor have you bothered to engage in a meaningful and respectful discussion. Who is lazy? You should look into a Fox News tinfoil hat, it's amusing when any one, left or right, claims the "main stream media" worked together to secretly elect any particular President (in this case Pres. Obama). What frustrates me is that you glossed over everything that I wrote and immediately decided BEFORE you even read it HOW you were going to read it. It was a nice little social experiment, thanks for participating, but you prove that extremists, on either end, will read into any information what they want to read, not what is fact.

Nice try :)

This is too important to just fade away.

It's frighteningly too important, and yet sad that most have no idea or simply dismiss it as "liberal propaganda".

Here we go agan with NewsCrap.... Tabloids, Mindless Content, Hysteria, lots of disruptive ads about nothing....
So it will be over-priced, full of tabloid hysteria, hear-say and speculation... and ads that are selling junk stuff that people can get fat on... :D

Interesting isn't it :)

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
OMG! Are you seriously implying Fox News isn't biased or agenda-driven?

Haha. Oh man that's the funniest thing I've heard this week.

No. Fox News is the ONE non-ultra liberal network there is and liberals cant stand it.

Liberals have every other network to push their agenda, a common agenda intertwined in sitcoms, cartoons, reality tv, etc etc.

And there is ONE channel to cater to people that believe differently and your heads explode. So much for open-mindedness and tolerance. What hypocrisy!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No. Fox News is the ONE non-ultra liberal network there is and liberals cant stand it.

Liberals have every other network to push their agenda, a common agenda intertwined in sitcoms, cartoons, reality tv, etc etc.

And their is ONE channel to cater to people that believe differently and your heads explode. So much for open-mindedness and tolerance. What hypocrisy!

Does any one else see the irony here?

rubenerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2006
s/Singapore/Sydney/
As an Australian, I feel it appropriate to offer some sort of token apology for the Murdoch press. By the way, Mel Gibson isn't Australian.

I would also like to take the opportunity to second this apology.

We have Sky news here in Australia under Murdoch's wing, but fortunately we also now have ABC News 24 to balance things out a bit. Then again I don't watch any TV news at all anymore, has done wonders for my sanity and probably my future hairline.

People shouldn't take any TV news as gospel. They're all pretty terrible.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002

And there is ONE channel to cater to people that believe differently and your heads explode. So much for open-mindedness and tolerance. What hypocrisy!

All media outlets have a bias and an agenda. I just wasn't going to let you get away with saying Fox had no agenda.

The reason people get uptight about Fox is Glenn Beck, who makes a living by exploiting the fear and insecurities of his audience for TV ratings. He's not the only one. Olbermann = O'Reilly. The problem with Glenn Beck is that he is inciting people to believe insane conspiracy theories and whipping people into racism-tinged semi-violent fervors. And, perhaps worst of all, he's nothing more than a cynic.

All the outlets have their good and bad. None of them have a positive effect on society these days.

I can't resist the urge to post two quotes from Stephen Colbert:

"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to knowledge."

"reality has a well-known liberal bias."

:p

Truce.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.