News regarding iPhone 5 delay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smoodle, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Smoodle, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

Smoodle macrumors newbie

found this on http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-2844989.html, believe it at your own risk, this isn't my information, though the source seems to have had credible links in the past.

The iPhone 5 was meant to be announced in September, yet we still haven't heard anything. What the source knows so far:

1. iOS is in the last stages of testing, it's ready for a GM as we speak, but waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out

2. A component in the iPhone 5 has encountered some rather serious quality problems, the source doesn't say which one, but allegedly over 100,000 produced so far have problems. They won't be written off, but instead have the component replaced. Apple's being extra careful given last years fiasco with Antennagate, plus this is the first product announcement post-Jobs, so they are taking it slow.

He says we should all be patient, the iPhone 4S is fine. It was planned to be released latest by the 20th, but has been affected by the iPhone 5 problems.

The poster also says that his friend warned him not to buy the first batch of iPhone 5s, but the poster says he'll end up first in line, and just go to the Apple Store for repairs or exchanges.

Flame me if you wish, but remember that this is 3rd/4th party information. I can't verify its veracity in anyway, just read it on the forum. Thought it might help shed some light while we wait:)

EDIT: so we should expect both an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 according to this source.

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Although I obviously have no idea whether this is credible or not, it certainly sounds plausible.

If true, I'm glad to hear that Apple is trying to make the new phone as problem-free as possible at launch. Just gotta continue being patient!

3. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

they are very good points. Maybe it's true.But nobody knows !

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

j/k

I've said this before, how can a product be delayed if it was never given a release date?

The only thing Apple has said is "Fall" (Sept 23rd - Dec 21st), it'll only be delayed if its released after Dec 21st.

5. Smoodle thread starter macrumors newbie

delay

Oh I'm aware it's not technically correct to call it a delay, just couldn't think of a succinct way to say why the iPhone 5 is not on sale yet. Plus in the eyes of the consumers and the media, it is delayed from what we are used to, i.e. a June release.

If it does get your goat, I can change it, it's a minor detail which changes nothing about the content. ;)

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Actually, Apple said nothing about an iPhone 5 at all...Only thing they said was coming in the Fall was iOS 5.

And cmon' now...This "nothing is delayed because nothing was announced" BS is getting old. We all know what people mean by the word "delay" when referring to the iPhone 5. At least I do. And if you really don't, I will happily explain.

7. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Seriously. Stop. It's still considered a delay if things are running behind even BEFORE an official announcement.

Look up "delay". If Apple expected to release it tomorrow but because of whatever issues came up, are releasing it October 15th... THAT'S A DELAY.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

No one knows what Apple expected so therefore there is no delay as far as we know. If the next iPhone has been delayed, this must have been known for more than 6 months by Apple. They usually introduce the next iOS around March / April, yet this year, they haven't. So if they were to announce the next iPhone at the WWDC, they would have to announce iOS 5 and the iPhone simultaneously, with no beta testing at all. That's impossible, so whatever's causing the iPhone to be released in October instead of June, this cause had been determined in the first three months of this year. I therefore highly doubt there is a delay at all. Apple just changed the cycle. They can do that.

9. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

In the situation in this thread.. if it is true... that would be a delay.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So its ok to debunk a MR Forum user who claims their dad is an Apple engineer and call them a troll http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1227530

But were supposed to believe an unconfirmed source on another (over seas) forum as factual and confirmed news that a delay is true?

11. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Ohh....

So incredibly "concretistisc": Of course it gives good meaning to talk about "delay" in this connection, even without having a definite date to refer to. I don't even feel the need to argue about it.

Please spare us for comments of such a kind...

But no - such posts have some value in being funny. But it is not funny, given the fact that he makes clear: It's not the first time he has uttered such nonsense. And surely not the last, unfortunately...

BTW: Smoodle made a very good response in his post.

12. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

.....Apple, just please give us a nice blurry photo of the iPhone 5. I beg of you, the suspense is SO much its annoying..

13. shandyman Suspended

14. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Delay or not (and it's all just down to semantics on that one), I think part of the reason it's going to be in the fall is that Apple is just reorganizing the release schedule. And I think this is to do with the Verizon iPhone. It was released in February. Can you imagine the ******-storm that would reign if they released a new version on AT&T only in June, or if they released it in June for both carriers period?
    I think there would be a bit of backlash from that.

Now I'm sure that's not the only reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Especially if there is one for Sprint as well. Just release iPhone 5, three carriers in the US...done.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

15. aluren macrumors 65816

I think that's part of the reason, along with iOS, iCloud, supply constraints, production problems mentioned by OP, etc. I think an iPhone September event works because iPod sales has been on the decline and no one really care for an iPod event anymore. Good move on Apple's part. What will be interesting if there's only a 4S model and no 5. Would 3 extra months justify a change in design or significant upgrades? Who knows... It wouldn't surprise me if it's only 4S as Apple has planned this from even before the 4 came out.

16. shandyman Suspended

Highly doubt that's a reason. The UK had the same thing last year with O2 losing exclusivity and new carriers selling the 3GS in Feb then selling the 4 at launch at end of June. Same situation.

17. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Part. I said "part" of the reason.

18. shandyman, Sep 12, 2011
  19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Verizon customers? You mean the small percentage of people who bought the iPhone 4? You mean the majority of Verizon customers who are anxiously waiting for the iPhone 5 and skipped the 4 on purpose? You mean that just for one carrier, the iPhone, which sells globally had to be on hold?

Again, i expect an iPhone 5 or an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S. Anything else is unacceptable, after such a long wait.

20. shandyman, Sep 12, 2011
  21. pullfocus, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011

pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

I'm just talking about the delay. If there is only a 4S, or an iPhone 5 with a minuscule spec bump, then yeah, it's almost pointless

22. shandyman, Sep 12, 2011

shandyman Suspended

Exactly what I was trying to point out. In the UK it was 3GS to 4, thats no minor upgrade, so its a very valid point. Thanks.

23. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Exactly what i wanted to say. Thank you shandyman!

:)

----------

Good to know!

;)

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I think it's a combination of all these things. Yes, they want to line up the releases on all their carriers (which will hopefully increase to four US carriers), they want to line up the iPod touch/iPhone releases, they wanted IOS 5 to be ready, they wanted iCloud integration to be ready, there might have been manufacturing problems they want to smooth out. Honestly, the wait will so be worth it if we come out of it with a perfectly functioning iPhone 5/IOS 5/iCloud/anything else from day 1.

25. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

hahaha, ur right:eek: