Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
How are you even going to propose that Apple make it such that you can take it apart to service the battery inside?

Why ask a customer that? That’s a great question for genius designer Jony Ive!!

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I think that's pretty much the way moving forward for Apple.

As they move towards wearables, their products are only going to get smaller, and their components more integrated. It's not going to be feasible to make everything modular, with replaceable parts. Just look at the design of the airpods. How are you even going to propose that Apple make it such that you can take it apart to service the battery inside?

I agree in the case of Airpods is challenging, but they aren't making any efforts with something like the apple pencil either.

PMRBdLIltTVspbsB.huge

sIgH3MA5hqQpWsi3.huge

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I agree in the case of Airpods is challenging, but they aren't making any efforts with something like the apple pencil either.

PMRBdLIltTVspbsB.huge

sIgH3MA5hqQpWsi3.huge
You know, we were issued those styluses together with our windows tablet laptops at work. One month later, one of my colleagues needed to replace the AAAA battery inside because it had run out (she used it extensively in class daily). Do you know how hard it is to find one of this in hardware shops outside? We ended up ordering a box via Amazon Prime.

Do you know how many times I have had to replace the battery in my Apple Pencil in the 2.5 years I used it prior to upgrading it? Zero, because I could simply charge it as and when I needed it (and no, I never had any issues with the old practice of sticking it in my iPad's lightning port).

I fail to see how making a product that runs off consumable batteries is any more environmentally friendly in the long run.

Reactions: jouster74

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
View attachment 808582 View attachment 808583 View attachment 808584 Anyone have both the AirPods and Bose SoundSport Free? I use the later and I really like them despite its size.
I love Bose quality but will not buy another Bose product after they were caught collecting data about what their customers were listening to (music, Podcasts, etc.). I am not a party to the class action lawsuit brought against them last year. Bose denies "selling" customer data but the denial leaves a lot of wiggle room about how the collected data is used.
http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/bose-headphones-privacy/

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
You know, we were issued those styluses together with our windows tablet laptops at work. One month later, one of my colleagues needed to replace the AAAA battery inside because it had run out (she used it extensively in class daily). Do you know how hard it is to find one of this in hardware shops outside? We ended up ordering a box via Amazon Prime.

Do you know how many times I have had to replace the battery in my Apple Pencil in the 2.5 years I used it prior to upgrading it? Zero, because I could simply charge it as and when I needed it (and no, I never had any issues with the old practice of sticking it in my iPad's lightning port).

I fail to see how making a product that runs off consumable batteries is any more environmentally friendly in the long run.

Yea sure, but the point was to show you could make a compartmentalized pencil, instead of putting disposable batteries like Microsoft, put lithium ones, so that after 2-3 years of use if you need to replace it you can install another lithium module instead of ditching the entire thing.

The fact is something like Airpods degrades easily in 2 years, and then we need to trash it? It's such a pitty throwing about such great tech within such a short span of time.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why ask a customer that? That’s a great question for genius designer Jony Ive!!
And their answer is - that's not our top priority.

If anything, I feel that a case can be made that the best way forward is not to fight this trend, but embrace it.

At the end of the day, it’s probably better for the consumer to have more money be thrown at these companies, because it means that in theory, companies like Apple have more money to work with to make more inventions. If we didn’t spend as much money on computers, then it’d less lucrative, there’d be fewer investors, which means the market would be smaller and while things would be cheaper for us, the products themselves probably wouldn’t be as good as they could be.

iPhones are as advanced as they are, because for the last 10 years we’ve been paying a premium towards it. Apple has invested that money into that product and the iPhone has made huge strides from the first iPhone to the current iPhone XS Max.

Yes, it is more expensive for us, but that also means we get better service and more investment from these companies into these devices. If we were still using PC’s and Macs that had tower frames with user-upgradeable parts, then these computers would last longer and you could argue people would spend less money on them, which means Apple would not have invested in battery or computer technology as much, which means we wouldn’t have our technology as advanced as we do now, because they wouldn’t have had the money to do the research, because we didn’t give them the extra money, and instead chose to spend it on food or cars or homes.

The amount of money available in our economy is finite. If we don’t spend on one thing, then the money goes somewhere else. As a society we’re choosing to invest more and more of our money on these tiny, sealed products, which means less money for other things, but hopefully, we will see more innovation and better quality software/hardware computer experiences, since computers are getting more of our money.

This is the future tech companies have always wanted, and it so happens that consumers love thin products, so it’s really a marriage made in heaven, so disposable laptops/phones/tablets/wearables it is!

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Is the current version the best Apple product under Tim Cook ???

Anybody ???

Many people say so.
[doublepost=1544068789][/doublepost]I would really like to know the numbers. Kuo estimated they will ship 100 million of these in 2019, did he not?

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Nice maths. :)

Oops it is 15.9 billion. Or approximately 4 billion a quarter. It's a lot of cabbage. As a shareholder I will sell because I don't think they can continue to grow a lousy headphone business like that for more than three years. lol

Bring on the doom.

Last edited:

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I've got weird shaped ears (apparently), and haven't ever found a pair of earbuds that fit well. But here's the solution to that problem.

http://www.earbuddyz.com/

Outside of my AirPods, it was the best $12 I've ever spent.

Incredibly comfortable, easy to put on and take off, last forever and hold my AirPods in my ears like glue.

Thank you for the tip...

Bose has similar shaped 'WINGS" which help it fit snugly in the ear. Also other advantage Bose has is noise cancellation!! It really makes the difference at the airport and when flying, it great for drowning out all other noise around you.

Many thanks again for the tip. I can pass it on to friends who prefer AirPods.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
AirPods refuse to stay in my ears, have mediocre sound and look ridiculous.

It has been said that they won't fit on 100% peoples ears. It has been said that few people may have odd shaped years. They should look elsewhere.
As for mediocre sound, they seem to be OK with the majority of people - minus the so-called "audiophile"
They look exactly like the wired ones, but minus the wire. Peoples minds and ears (trained to see tangling wires) plays tricks. Nothing new here.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
oh so you are that guy I see walking around in a Faraday cage, with a sunscreen roof, and lead undershorts? No? why not? because the point is bluetooth earphones add virtually nothing compared to natural sources.. what are you doing to combat those?
Again no, but the fact that I am getting something bad, does not mean I want some more.

I would not twist my arm if it was broken just because it already hurts....

But go on exagerate all you want :p
Because the point is bluetooth earphones add virtually nothing compared to natural sources
I am sure you have all the data to back that up, while scientist are still debating IF and HOW MUCH this kind of radiation affect the human body, especially in speficif spot like the brain.

This can be informative, even if not exaustive or by any means 100% the bible of EMF, you can make fun of me all you want, but as I said I respect your idea, just don't share it, we can agree to disagree you know? :p

Last edited:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Is the current version the best Apple product under Tim Cook ???
Anybody ???
It's an accomplishment to imitate both Oral-B and Johnson dental floss in a single design
Now guess what will happen in a few years when the planet succumbs to these things, and those companies suddenly apply for copyright infringement & a callback action
(which of course isn’t Joni’s, but his copy assistants’ fault...)

Last edited:

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
This statement is so dumb. When Apple came out with Airpods there statement was "as good as earpods"
Earpods are a $15 dollar puerchase
Oh and Earpods come free since the iPod
And earpods last forever
When are those Airpods batteries going to die? hmm guess buy more Airpods
So Apple instead of increasing audio they have turned around and said "look no wires"

You say 'Look no wires' so flippantly as if it is some sort of gimmick. It makes a huge difference. I despise headphone cables, they catch on your clothes, they're never long enough, and they tug on the earbuds. I'd been waiting for true wireless earbuds for years.

As far as sound quality goes, they're fine, they're by no means terrible. I would hazard to guess that the vast majority of us aren't audiophiles and are perfectly happy with the already very good sound quality.

And as for the battery, I've had mine since launch and the buds last just as long now as they did when I bought them. I don't know how long it'll be before they degrade but they're doing fine so far.

I'd say for a first gen product, they're extremely successful at what they do. My hope going forward is that they don't fill them with health sensors and nonsense.

Reactions: G5isAlive

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
It has been said that they won't fit on 100% peoples ears. It has been said that few people may have odd shaped years. They should look elsewhere.

That's what happens when Jony Ive has the AirPods designed to fit his own ears and says 'screw everyone else".

And if those people were to "look elsewhere", they would be ridiculed by Apple followers for not buying the AirPods.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
That's what happens when Jony Ive has the AirPods designed to fit his own ears and says 'screw everyone else".

And if those people were to "look elsewhere", they would be ridiculed by Apple followers for not buying the AirPods.
Or they can buy an adaptor he he.

joelanthon

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Salt Lake City
Again brand awareness is everything - I see an android watch or in-ear headphones and have no idea which brand they belong to whereas both the airpods and apple watch are instantly recognisable. Well done A :)

Exactly. That's why Apple is smart. Same goes with the notch on the iPhone. Like it or hate it brand awarenesses is like free marketing and it pays off.
[doublepost=1544292403][/doublepost]
Rumor has it that it’ll be available in black.
That would be cool. Space gray would be too
[doublepost=1544292957][/doublepost]
I love Bose quality but will not buy another Bose product after they were caught collecting data about what their customers were listening to (music, Podcasts, etc.). I am not a party to the class action lawsuit brought against them last year. Bose denies "selling" customer data but the denial leaves a lot of wiggle room about how the collected data is used.
http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/bose-headphones-privacy/
These days I just figure pretty much all my privacy is out the window and I'm good with that to an extent lol. The only privacy I know I actually have is in my room with my door closed and laptop closed (or anything with a cam on it). Plus, what is the harm in companies selling music data (not that I think it is ok to begin with). People worried they are going to sell it to ISIS or something?

Reactions: deckard666

jouster74

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
It would be nice if Apple designed airpods that had replaceable batteries. The current models don’t have replaceable batteries (even if you bring them to the Apple store and request to purchase a battery replacement). So as a result, when the batteries eventually stop working in just a few years, your only option is to throw the Airpods away entirely and get new ones. Not too “green” there, Apple. The same problem exists with the current generation Apple Magic Mouse. No battery replacement program in place for that product either, so when the battery dies, you have to throw the whole thing away and get a new Magic Mouse. This, along with making products that are demonstrably less serviceable over the last 7 years or so, is why I think Tim Cook’s Earth Day and environmental responsibity boasting is really just public relations fluff. If they really cared about the environment, they wouldn’t make products that you have to throw away just because the battery stops working.

In regards to the Airpods, Im pretty sure you can go into an Apple Store and purchase replacement Airpods that go with your case....then Apple WILL strip your old ones down replace batteries and rebuild them as a replacement pair....it wont be that cheap but its cheaper than an entire new set.

Pretty sure the case would be the same with the mouse/trackpad and keyboard. Whilst changing the battery pack whilst you wait at a store may not work, it would be easy to do with the right time and service area. So im certainly not sure that old kit is just being thrown away.....

On top of that, how many poeple do you know whose mouse/trackpad/keyboards batteries have completely died? I had a 2009 27 iMac and when I sold it in 2015 the same single set of rechargeable batteries I had always used worked fine ( i know they oculd be replaced if things werent any copy but that was needed) I've had my 5K model since 2015 and that has the usual full battery life on each charge....
[doublepost=1544456803][/doublepost]
Again no, but the fact that I am getting something bad, does not mean I want some more.

I would not twist my arm if it was broken just because it already hurts....

But go on exagerate all you want :p

I am sure you have all the data to back that up, while scientist are still debating IF and HOW MUCH this kind of radiation affect the human body, especially in speficif spot like the brain.

This can be informative, even if not exaustive or by any means 100% the bible of EMF, you can make fun of me all you want, but as I said I respect your idea, just don't share it, we can agree to disagree you know? :p

Are you typing this reply on a phone or tablet or laptop maybe? Using WiFi? or is everything you do that is computer based done via network cable to limit that too.

Last edited:

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Exactly. That's why Apple is smart. Same goes with the notch on the iPhone. Like it or hate it brand awarenesses is like free marketing and it pays off.
[doublepost=1544292403][/doublepost]
That would be cool. Space gray would be too
[doublepost=1544292957][/doublepost]
These days I just figure pretty much all my privacy is out the window and I'm good with that to an extent lol. The only privacy I know I actually have is in my room with my door closed and laptop closed (or anything with a cam on it). Plus, what is the harm in companies selling music data (not that I think it is ok to begin with). People worried they are going to sell it to ISIS or something?
I agree musical tastes by themselves are not a big deal but it is just one more piece of data that can be added to the electronic dossier that exists for every Internet user. What could potentially be a bigger deal is non-music content (audio books, podcasts, etc.) that is recognized, categorized made a part of your permanent electronic record. 10 years from now would you want to explain to law enforcement why you were listening to books and podcasts in 2018 that were banned in 2026 for being "subversive" or "anti-__________".

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have both AirPods and the Free's, the Bose are definitely nicer/more comfortable and I like them but I just got the Sennheiser Momentum and they are fantastic so far.
How are the Sennheisers for watching video? Any audio lag?
[doublepost=1544533831][/doublepost]
You say 'Look no wires' so flippantly as if it is some sort of gimmick. It makes a huge difference. I despise headphone cables, they catch on your clothes, they're never long enough, and they tug on the earbuds. I'd been waiting for true wireless earbuds for years.

As far as sound quality goes, they're fine, they're by no means terrible. I would hazard to guess that the vast majority of us aren't audiophiles and are perfectly happy with the already very good sound quality.

And as for the battery, I've had mine since launch and the buds last just as long now as they did when I bought them. I don't know how long it'll be before they degrade but they're doing fine so far.

I'd say for a first gen product, they're extremely successful at what they do. My hope going forward is that they don't fill them with health sensors and nonsense.
How is the call quality with Airpods?

Also, is there audio lag when watching videos?

I currently have the Jabra Elite Active 65t and like them in every way except they are terrible with YouTube videos. Fine with Netflix though.

Looking for the best overall true wireless. Liked the reviews of the Sennheiser but they look way too big.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
How are the Sennheisers for watching video? Any audio lag?
[doublepost=1544533831][/doublepost]
How is the call quality with Airpods?

Also, is there audio lag when watching videos?

I currently have the Jabra Elite Active 65t and like them in every way except they are terrible with YouTube videos. Fine with Netflix though.

Looking for the best overall true wireless. Liked the reviews of the Sennheiser but they look way too big.

Call quality is fantastic. You just double tap one of the buds to answer and again to hang up. I've not had any trouble hearing people and no one has ever told me that they can't hear me. It would be nice if the ear buds, after quieting the music, told you who was calling so you could decide to answer or not, but that might be a future feature.

I've not seen any lag in Netflix or YouTube on the phone, I've no videos stored locally on the TV app so I can't say if there is audio lag on locally stored videos.

The shape of my ears don't give me any trouble wearing the buds so when I put them in, i usually forget they are even there.

I can't recommend them enough. As someone who waited patiently for years for true wireless buds, these are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.