Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
You know exactly what I'm talking about right? Here we go again talking about a unicorn supply constraints of AirPods that never existed except the first it came out because Apple wants it to be like there's a high demand on it. It's says right on this article AirPod is not that popular and there's no scarcity. I bet you can walk into a carrier store and get one for yourself or even Target or too lazy to get out, you can get it from Amazon right now and it will be in your front door in 2 days. So stop talking about the fake AirPods scarcity there's no such thing and you can check in the mall later or park and you're lucky if you found 1 person using it.

You know that 5% of 1 billion is a lot, right?

Reactions: tromboneaholic

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
You don't, but does it matter because people are going to assume they are Apple.
True
However assumptions not withstanding, seeing them everywhere is no longer a valid method to ascertain you are seeing an genuine Apple product.
A person "seeing them everywhere" no longer holds the same value as you can't prove what you're seeing without closer examination.

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Yes, but that does not mean that getting more won't make a difference.

So yes we are already blasted daily, should we add more because of that?

You are going to get a micron more from wearing headphones; you are going to get way more radiation from walking outside.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
they are awesome. i remember a lot of people making fun of them. they were outside the box and most of all, they delivered. now the copies come and they will help drive the price cheaper. i love them. apple needs to keep evolving though.
You know that 5% of 1 billion is a lot, right?

In a few years, as the planet succumbs to these things, expect Oral-B to suddenly apply for copyright infringement & a callback action
(which of course isn’t Joni’s, but his copy assistants’ fault...)

Last edited:
Reactions: groadyho

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
You are going to get a micron more from wearing headphones; you are going to get way more radiation from walking outside.
It's your opinion, wich I respect, but don't agree. Also the micron more i am getting is directly near my brain, while whay i get outside is not directed specifically there.

It's like smoking, of course you'd get more smoke walking around New York than smoking a cigarette, but if you do both...

Reactions: groadyho

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
In all seriousness about “slowdowns,” I’m curious to see how battery longevity holds over the years for a given pair. With all the pushback from many MR members onto caveman like myself regarding our preferring the big picture benefits of corded headphones, I value the earbuds I have that are 10+ years old and stashed at various locations that work as well and conveniently and instantly as they did when new. No need to replace every tbd years as battery life lessens noticeably. Some benefits of AirPods are undeniable but I’m awaiting to see sentiment holds over the years for the the big picture (and any ongoing replacement costs) hold with AirPods.
Here's my experience:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...el-in-early-2020.2158236/page-8#post-26869804

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Apple, PLEASE don’t fall behind on this. The AirPods are amazing and as noted by quite a few other people here- one of the best products you’ve put out in a long time. I know there’s only so much you can do, but we definitely need a way to adjust volume on the AirPods and more tap commands. Siri alone needs a LOT of work, but the more powerful Siri becomes, the more powerful the AirPods will become as well.

Reactions: Cartoonkid

huffhuff

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
UK
Best bit of Apple kit I have bought to date. I use them, literally, every day. I never used to listen to music - now I do, daily (have HomePod so subscribed to Apple Music). I also listen to a shedload of podcasts, a different one each day (from true crime, history/cultural, conspiracy, chat shows and fiction). These little things have really changed the way I interact with quite a few apple products. I have problems falling asleep, so I whack on a podcast. Walking the dogs, music. Journey to work, podcast again. Kids are asleep...airpods for the AppleTV (wife has one and I have the other).

Will likely buy the next revision too! And the one after that... (you know what it's like)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I loved that patent for a more universal AirPod design with tips that hold in ears better. Hopefully the design is a bit more streamlined, though. I apparently have unusual ears that don't hold the AirPods very well at all. I use small, pre-cut strips of dermal tape (think slightly squishy, flexible, very sticky stickers) that I replace every two weeks that are made specifically for holding earbuds in ears. It's thin and fits inside the case. I've tried various ear hooks, but they a hassle and always quickly stretch out since you have to remove them to charge the AirPods and I charge mine 1-2 times per day

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Having seen the insides of the AirPods, it’s incredible the technology Apple has been able to pack into them through miniaturization. Each of these is a tiny computer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple builds Apple Music into them directly so you can go running with just your AirPods.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
What are "smart earbuds"? Are the next AirPods going to get A12 processor to become smart or are we still talking about earbuds that send commands to the phone? If it is the latter then most existing earbuds can do it already. So why exactly next gen AirPods are going to "spark" some new competition?
[doublepost=1544026443][/doublepost]
Having seen the insides of the AirPods, it’s incredible the technology Apple has been able to pack into them through miniaturization. Each of these is a tiny computer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple builds Apple Music into them directly so you can go running with just your AirPods.
You can use many of existing wireless earbuds autonomously. Apple needs to catch up in this department.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Of all the Apple products I’ve owned over the past few decades, AirPods might be my favorite. I love them so much.
Of all the Apple products I have ever owned, AirPods are my least favorite. They are expensive, create the need to bring another charger with me when traveling, and easily fall out of my ears while I use them.

And those reasons don’t only apply to Apple, I tried Jabra, Sony and Bose earbuds as well. After the 3rd or 4th time one pod or the other, or both, fell out within a short time during a walk I returned them. So my hatred of EarPods is not Apple specific.

Happened with older wired earbuds as well. Those were connected to the phone by wires, were (still are) available at stores, online, even convenience gas marts, and could be purchased for $10. So if they were lost I didn’t care that much, and I could get a new set quickly if I was on the road.

mangonights

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I don’t care what anyone says, the AirPods suck. The design is moronic. Makes a person look like they have tampons hanging out of their ears.

If Apple remakes them into true buds like the Jabra Elites and improves Siri drastically, then I’ll reconsider.

Adding health features would be interesting to see.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Of all the Apple products I have ever owned, AirPods are my least favorite. They are expensive, create the need to bring another charger with me when traveling, and easily fall out of my ears while I use them.

You can't charge them with the same cable you use for your iPhone? They get 24 hours of listening time from the case. The case itself charges in about an hour, but it doesn't even need to be full to charge the AirPods to full.

Reactions: jouster74

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
You would think it would be that easy but I have many coworkers who adopted knockoff AirPods and without getting up close and personal you would just assume they were Apple official ones. Doesn't hurt anything as it amplifies the outreach for Apple as people would assume it's AirPods and could influence a potential sale.
It is just like the iPod and its white phones. Everyone knew what player you were supposed to be wearing. And everybody knew who to be mugged.

I always favoured black phones and it also helps that Apple's phones are usually pretty bad.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
You can't charge them with the same cable you use for your iPhone? They get 24 hours of listening time from the case. The case itself charges in about an hour, but it doesn't even need to be full to charge the AirPods to full.

Pick a small town that’s at least 45 miles from any medium or large city. Now look over the hotels in that town. In all likelihood that hotel is NOT a major chain and has been there 50 years or more. Now look at the outlets available in that room. 1, maybe 2 out in the open and more if you are willing to unplug lights and move furniture. Also assume you are working 10-16 hour days. I take an iPad to watch preloaded movies, because local tv will be sparse and many don’t carry an extensive channel selection, a cell phone, and if I can find time to walk after work a set of earbuds/headphones. Can I get by with only one charger? Sort of. Do I frequently have one component or another not get charged so I can’t use it? Frequently.

Last edited:

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Hands down the best Apple product under Cook's reign.

Many times I forget my Apple Watch at home and don't miss it throughout the day, but I do miss my Airpods.
[doublepost=1544031209][/doublepost]
In all seriousness about “slowdowns,” I’m curious to see how battery longevity holds over the years for a given pair. With all the pushback from many MR members onto caveman like myself regarding our preferring the big picture benefits of corded headphones, I value the earbuds I have that are 10+ years old and stashed at various locations that work as well and conveniently and instantly as they did when new. No need to replace every tbd years as battery life lessens noticeably. Some benefits of AirPods are undeniable but I’m awaiting to see sentiment holds over the years for the the big picture (and any ongoing replacement costs) hold with AirPods.

Sadly this is the great downside of Airpods, they don't hold up well after 2 years of use, in my case they got severely degraded and last only about 50%, and it's so annoying that they run out so quickly that I just stopped using them in general and I'm waiting for the next Airpods model to buy it again.

So I would say it's a disposable product you need to buy every 2 years or so.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I got my AirPods in March of 2017 and use them all the time on long runs, at the gym and while doing yard work. They have help up amazingly well and the battery gives me 3+ hours of use. My wife bought a pair and put both of them through the washer and the dryer and they work like new. I suppose water proofing them would be a nice feature but it seems like they already handle water with no issues.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
It Apple comes out with a true in-ear version of the AirPods I would consider them. Hard to beat a good pair of in-ears for sound isolation and, usually as a result, excellent sound quality. I currently use a pair of BeatsX which to my ears are much superior for music, has longer battery life and has a much lower street price (and a cable that's annoyingly way too long). Kudos to Apple though for producing a very successful product.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I continue to be amazed at how well these sell given how ridiculous they look on people.

Many things that appear ridiculous at first become normal-looking after a while. Remember that time everyone was buying Hummers? Oh wait, those continued to look ridiculous even after lots of people had them. Never mind.

That being said, color options would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.