Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the iPhone 3.0 beta release, developers have been digging through the firmware looking for evidence of future iPhones and capabilities. An early finding revealed that a number of unknown iPhone model numbers already appear in the beta firmware. Over the weekend, a few new findings have added two new features to the next generation iPhone.

Driver support for new Broadcom Wi-Fi chips suggest that the next iPhone will add support for 802.11n. The iPhone and iPod touch currently only support the slower 802.11b/g networks. Supporting only 802.11n devices on a wireless network can significant improve performance. With existing iPhone hardware, this mixed environment was unavoidable.

Meanwhile, an inadvertent Publish Video screenshot from the first iPhone 3.0 beta suggests that Apple is incorporating video recording and uploads directly from your iPhone. Some new user interface elements in the 3.0 beta suggest that you will also be able to edit these videos before uploading. If Apple does indeed provide video recording and publishing, it certainly makes sense to offer some limited editing/clipping ability.

The iPhone 3.0 firmware will not be released to the public until this Summer, and Apple is rumored to be releasing their next generation iPhone in that timeframe.

Article Link: Next Gen iPhone: 802.11n and Video Editing?

winks360

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Time Capsule
:)

I am so excited I havent the money for the 3G yet so I am starting my savings for the new iPhone and I will wait to get it :) yay, the video editing sounds nice but I don't think it will be much :/ but some is better than none. Props Apple :))))

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Wireless

Wireless "n" will be great to have. The video will make a lot of ppl happy to.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Wireless N and video recording/ editing will give us even less to moan about. This is looking like it'll be a solid improvement over the iPhone 3G.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Long as it is a decent camera with decent video recording I'm happy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
iMovie iPhone Edition would be very cool. 802.11n is nice too. In fact, I think the only think I'm not going to like about the next gen iPhone is the line I'll undoubtably have to wait in to satisfy the Apple PR suits. Personally it would be nice if those of us that are just replacing an older gen iPhone could just pre-order it and active at home.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Is it not looking good for the Palm Pre. They won't have much compelling to offer that's new with all the updates.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wireless N and video recording/ editing will give us even less to moan about. This is looking like it'll be a solid improvement over the iPhone 3G.

Depends who "us" is. There will be a segment of iPhone 2G and 3G owners that will moan because that is who they are.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
So if the Next-gen iphone does have 802.11n, is it a hardware or software based? The reason I ask is because I have a 2nd gen ipod touch, and it would be great to have 802.11n from the 3.0 software update.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
802.11n is still in draft status, and is expected to be finalized only in January 2010.

If you buy an Apple 802.11n product (such as a MacBook or the alleged upcoming 802.11n iPhone), it will likely only run at 802.11n speeds only on Apple's "AirPort Extreme" Wi-Fi router. On routers by other manufacturers, it will likely run at sub-standard speeds. This is not the fault of the other manufacturers, as their routers are arguably much superior to Apple's (for example, AirPort Extreme does not have wired gigabit ports... there's no gigabit LAN ports, and there's no gigabit WAN port). Many people--especially people outside of the US in countries where FTTH is more common and will soon exceed speeds of 100 Mbps, gigabit WAN and LAN ports are highly important).

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
well i think thats kinda the idea of competition. ;)

Agree. The Apple lead is so big- name awareness, perception of Apple, perception of the iPhone, App store with 30,000+ apps, a well developed operating system, huge cash resources to further advertise and develop (Palm is on life support and a VC cash infusion- even if they hit it big the profits won't come close to touching Apple's billions), etc., etc.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So if the Next-gen iphone does have 802.11n, is it a hardware or software based? The reason I ask is because I have a 2nd gen ipod touch, and it would be great to have 802.11n from the 3.0 software update.

I don't think 802.11 anything can be software based. Each standard requires specific hardware. Maybe you are thinking of the MacBooks that were 802.11g but then upgradable to 802.11n. In that case the MB's had a 802.11n chip all along, Apple just didn't include the driver b/c the standard wasn't ready yet -- it still isn't official actually. When Apple had workable drivers they released them to active "n" in the MBs. I don't think the iPhone 3G has an "n" chip in it.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Depends who "us" is. There will be a segment of iPhone 2G and 3G owners that will moan because that is who they are.

Well that's technology. I didn't really moan when they updated the iMac G5 a couple of months after I bought mine. Pay to keep up, or just sit back, relax and be happy with what you have. :)

aznkid25 said:
So if the Next-gen iphone does have 802.11n, is it a hardware or software based?

Hardware based. It should be the new Broadcom BCM4329 or similar. So unless Apple's been shoving them into the latest iTouches and iPhone 3Gs secretly, there will be no update.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Why do people want wireless N? It wont make your Internet any faster, it just increases local network speeds. It also will drain a crap load more power than G.

The only advantage is it not throttling the rest of your network to G speeds.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
802.11n is still in draft status, and is expected to be finalized only in January 2010.

If you buy an Apple 802.11n product (such as a MacBook or the alleged upcoming 802.11n iPhone), it will likely only run at 802.11n speeds only on Apple's "AirPort Extreme" Wi-Fi router. On routers by other manufacturers, it will likely run at sub-standard speeds. This is not the fault of the other manufacturers, as their routers are arguably much superior to Apple's (for example, AirPort Extreme does not have wired gigabit ports... there's no gigabit LAN ports, and there's no gigabit WAN port). Many people--especially people outside of the US in countries where FTTH is more common and will soon exceed speeds of 100 Mbps, gigabit WAN and LAN ports are highly important).

I don't know where you are getting these ideas. Why wouldn't the 802.11n run at 'N' speeds on other n routers?, besides, "n" runs at a different frequency than b and g.

Also, Apple updated the Airport Extreme with gigabit ports some time ago.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Why do people want wireless N? It wont make your Internet any faster, it just increases local network speeds. It also will drain a crap load more power than G.

That's a pretty big advantage if you've got an Apple TV or other networked media.

arn

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England

The new Broadcom wireless "n" chips actually draw less power and are physically smaller than its predecessors. See Broadcom Press Release.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
And that might be an important advantage as wireless speed for non-iPhone devices is what really counts (since the iPhone most likely could not take much advantage of it itself) but for computer to computer (or backup device) connections N makes a noticeable difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.