Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Next Generation 3,1 iPod Model Detected in Logs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

PinchMedia announced that they had started detecting the "iPod 3,1" version number in their analytics reporting from App Store applications. The details are as follows:
- the first time an application using Pinch Analytics was run by a ‘iPod3,1′ device occurred in late April 2009;
- applications using Pinch Analytics were run by ‘iPod 3,1′ devices very infrequently until late May 2009, when the pace picked up slightly;
- As of this date, a few dozen distinct ‘iPod 3,1′ devices have run around two dozen different applications using Pinch Analytics;
- The applications being run on ‘iPod 3,1′ devices have all been the larger, more popular applications using Pinch Analytics, with hundreds of thousands to millions of unique users– other than their size, the applications have little else in common.
This is not the first time we've heard of the "iPod 3,1" which is believed to represent the next generation iPod Touch. Previous references to the model have been detected in the 3.0 firmware. The currently shipping iPod touch has a model number of "2,1".

The most recent rumors have placed a camera in this 3rd generation iPod Touch which is expected to be released in September.

Article Link: Next Generation 3,1 iPod Model Detected in Logs

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
64 Gb, Camera Video, Voice Control iPod, that'd be enough to last me until my AT&T contract is up, along with Apple and AT&T's too!

Heres a glass to happier times!:cool:

Addition: Plus the last iPod touch had a faster cpu than the 3G and headphone/earphone controls, I wonder what this will have above the 3GS?

iPod touch"S" anyone? lol

Comment

Nodnarb

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I hope so. If it does happen to be 64GB, I hope they implement that storage into the next iPhone.

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
It is very clear iPod month is September. Schiller said it himself once, I believe.

There really is nothing 'revolutionary' at this point that can be done to any iPod in my opinion.

I suspect price drops, more storage, and maybe one "new" feature that they will try to sell you.

I hope they don't abandon the click wheel anytime soon, though.

Also, I believe the iPod shuffle will be refreshed. People don't seem to like the new one.

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It is very clear iPod month is September. Schiller said it himself once, I believe.

There really is nothing 'revolutionary' at this point that can be done to any iPod in my opinion.

I suspect price drops, more storage, and maybe one "new" feature that they will try to sell you.

Also, I believe the iPod shuffle will be refreshed. People don't seem to like the new one.

Storage is a given.

Yes I agree, not much can be added to iPods now can it? Apple has reached like a limit of what to add. I mean, they can add a camera, but, I can see that happening only on the iPod Touch.

The click wheel will still be with us as long as the iPod Classic is here. As per the Shuffle, I reserve my judgement.

Comment

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I expected that iPod3,1 would have been released after iPhone 3,1? What happened to iPod2,2?

Comment

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
I hope it's a little faster than the iPhone 3GS, has a GPS/compass built-in and has the option of a 3G internet card (so that you can use the internet with it, but not make phone calls.)

I do a lot of geocaching with my current iPod Touch (it has an iGPS 360)... basically for me my iPod Touch does 3 things:
1) Play emulators (GBA and NES mainly)
2) Play music
3) Helps out with geocaching

Comment

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hit the Accelerator!

Maybe 64 Gb, Camera Video, Voice Control iPod, Compass.... OLED screen.

We might get a speaker at both ends of the device as well....and a bit of a re-design... perhaps that bezel that was sprouted from that HK parts vendor..

I might think that the CPU would no longer be throttled back from 833mhz to 600mhz like the current 3Gs currently is.

If the combination of 833mhz, 64gb, full bandwidth for video recording... and a faster gaming platform... woooh ! :rolleyes:

Oh yes, just call it the iTouch...and it also comes in 10" version...

Bring it on!... Please :apple:

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Storage is a given.

Yes I agree, not much can be added to iPods now can it? Apple has reached like a limit of what to add. I mean, they can add a camera, but, I can see that happening only on the iPod Touch.

The click wheel will still be with us as long as the iPod Classic is here. As per the Shuffle, I reserve my judgement.

I hope you're right about the classic. It really is just that: a classic. The touch interface is amazing, but the wheel was just perfect for a high capacity iPod.

With respect to the touch, I can see them adding in a camera, I guess.

The problem isn't really the lack of a revolution but rather market saturation . Almost everyone has an iPod already, so it's getting harder and harder to get people to get a "new" iPod. They have to try and create a new need/want, and it's hard these days, especially given the state of the economy. If you already own a 1st gen touch, why upgrade to the 2nd gen? A slightly thinner design, a speaker, etc. are small features and many people wouldn't see the value in doing so.

Even with the iPhone, the same thing applies. I already have a 3G, and although the 3Gs adds cool new features, it just wasn't enough for me to upgrade.

Comment

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
The problem isn't really the lack of a revolution but rather market saturation . Almost everyone has an iPod already, so it's getting harder and harder to get people to get a "new" iPod. They have to try and create a new need/want, and it's hard these days, especially given the state of the economy. If you already own a 1st gen touch, why upgrade to the 2nd gen? A slightly thinner design, a speaker, etc. are small features and many people wouldn't see the value in doing so.

Even with the iPhone, the same thing applies. I already have a 3G, and although the 3Gs adds cool new features, it just wasn't enough for me to upgrade.

I don't think most people would upgrade their PMPs each year even if the upgrade was bigger. Sure, some people like to have the latest and greatest, but for most, just having a PMP doing what you want - and doing it well is enough. Cost, of course also comes into consideration. It may be hard to justify an upgrade each year, even if one easily can afford it.

Also, I don't think Apple really expects people to upgrade every year. More likely, they plan for people skipping generations. (e.g. iPhone -> iPhone 3GS). The point beeing that over time, the willingness to upgrade becomes greater.

I'm also skipping 3GS because I have the 3G-version and really can't justify an upgrade at this time.:)

Comment

philbutler

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
I am crossing my fingers that Apple will have a iPod touch that's basically exactly like the iPhone (GPS, compass, camera, video, AT&T data) but without the voice. It would also maybe have more capacity (64 gig ??). I would pay $30 or so per month to get a data-only plan, GPS maps, etc.

I'd even kick in an extra $10/mo for tethering capability for when my 'touch's screen just wasn't big enough.

One thought - instead of true tethering, what about a remote control app for a laptop that would remote control (i.e. VNC) a touch/iphone that had a bigger virtual screen.

Comment

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Faster 64GB Camera Wi-Fi iTouch Will Be Very Popular

I hope so. If it does happen to be 64GB, I hope they implement that storage into the next iPhone.

Sounds expensive. I don't know if single 64gb flash chips exist yet, do they?

I don't think so. The iPod Touch has 2 spots for flash chips, which means 2x32 GB chips. The iPhone has 1 spot, hence 32 GB max.
Zactly. So the doubling of each devices capacity is hopfully an annual event. They can never have enough capacity for me.

Comment

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The potential is still huge for iPod type devices.

Yes I believe that is the case! But nothing is written in stone here. Apple has also stated that they want releases of products when they are ready thus no more Mac World.
Gee what a party pooper. I don't know what to think when I see statements like this, it makes me think people lack imagination. IPods are an on going revolution of their very own.
Price drops are a possibility given the underlying parts costs change but I don't see that as a primary goal of a completely new device Rather I see the energance of a whole new Touch device to march along side the current form factor Touch.

One new feature though is out of the question, I expect many new features.
I'm expecting one or more hybrid designs.

You don't like it but in general sales seem to be brisk. For active people it almost the ideal iPod. Personally I like the iPod Touch/ iPhone devices my self but I don't let that get in the way of realizing they aren't for everybody. My personal slant here is that Shuffle should be made in the forn of a USB dongle, but even that is likely to generate objections.

Of course the hard thing here is knowing exactly what Apples sales are like. Given that I've seen nothing to indicate tanking sales.

Dave

Comment

javaJake

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
East Coast, US
Gee what a party pooper. I don't know what to think when I see statements like this, it makes me think people lack imagination. IPods are an on going revolution of their very own.
Not revolution, but evolution. A revolution is when the iPod Touch came out. An evolution is when the third-gen iPod Touch comes out later this year.

I think Apple understands that people won't upgrade as often as they release new generations. Wasn't it "only" supposed to be every two years or something?

Comment

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Wasn't it "only" supposed to be every two years or something?

i dont remember anyone saying it was only supposed to be every 2 years. but i see your "only" is sarcastic and 2 years is a VERY long time, i probably wouldnt even want one if they updated every 2 years. i think once a year is totally fair.

Comment

bbtrinet

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
It's also possible that Apple is ready to release a new iPhone AND a new iPod with a different form factor around Christmas. Same software, just better camera specs and a different form factor.

It makes sense with the naming. iPhone 3Gs was just a minor improvement to the 3G get something out of the door a year later. If Apple didn't release anything at WWDC 2009, Apple stock would have plummeted. They had to release something.

Boy, that would piss off people who bought the 3Gs!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.