Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While third-generation AirPods were not announced at the Apple Event this week, suppliers have already kicked off shipments of the long-awaited headphones, according to industry sources cited by Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

airpods-3-gizmochina@3x.jpg

In a paywalled preview of its report, DigiTimes said the shipments have been "slow," but production being underway is a good sign that the third-generation AirPods will likely be released before the end of the year. There will likely be another Mac-focused Apple Event this year, and the new AirPods could be unveiled then, or they could be announced with a press release through the Apple Newsroom at any point this fall.

The third-generation ‌AirPods‌ are expected to feature a design language similar to the ‌AirPods Pro‌, but without active noise cancellation. However, rumors have conflicted as to whether the new design will include silicone ear tips.

The second-generation AirPods were released in March 2019, priced at $159 with a wired charging case or $199 with a wireless charging case.

Article Link: Next-Generation AirPods Reportedly Already in Production Despite Not Being Announced at Apple Event

• Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi
They said we won't see new iPads in this event. Yet there were.

They said the Apple Watch will have a new design. It didn't.

They said they will announce the new Airpods 3. They didn't.

So many inaccurate rumors this year...
The inconsistency is all over the place this year. No idea what is happening.

waetherman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
I was actually pretty surprised there were no Airpod announcements yesterday. All the signs were there - the discounted price on current models, the rumors of the new ones...didn't pan out I guess. I have a set of regular Airpods that I just replaced because of failing battery a month ago and I was somewhat cautious about doing that because I figured the new ones would be out in September, but I guess now I'm glad I didn't wait because otherwise I'd spend the next couple of months without Airpods.

bobtem

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
And in other news, iPhone 14 is being worked on despite not being announced at the iPhone 13 event…

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Perhaps Apple is actually having some success at cracking down some leaks?
Apple has been known to intentionally disseminate false information about upcoming products to identity and eliminate leak sources. I think many of the so-called predictions we saw were based on these. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are a couple new people on the unemployment rolls in Cupertino soon…

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I was actually pretty surprised there were no Airpod announcements yesterday. All the signs were there - the discounted price on current models, the rumors of the new ones...didn't pan out I guess. I have a set of regular Airpods that I just replaced because of failing battery a month ago and I was somewhat cautious about doing that because I figured the new ones would be out in September, but I guess now I'm glad I didn't wait because otherwise I'd spend the next couple of months without Airpods.
I think supply chain issues are causing havoc with product rollout plans. As much clout as Apple has, I do not think they are immune to it. I believe they are just keeping these dynamics close to their vest so they don't accidentally slip out announcements. Perhaps we will learn more at quarterly shareholder reports.

Reactions: Tagbert

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Apple has been known to intentionally disseminate false information about upcoming products to identity and eliminate leak sources. I think many of the so-called predictions we saw were based on these. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are a couple new people on the unemployment rolls in Cupertino soon…
My dream job: to be part of the team at apple that "intentionally disseminate false information about upcoming products." Would love to be a part of that.

• Haha
Reactions: Tagbert

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah so called “insiders” just trying to save face.

[Exclusive] iOS 16 to be released in fall 2022.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
They said we won't see new iPads in this event. Yet there were.

They said the Apple Watch will have a new design. It didn't.

They said they will announce the new Airpods 3. They didn't.

So many inaccurate rumors this year...

I'm beginning to think that YouTubers who make money on video views have a vested interest in getting a LOT of video views and aren't really focused on track record and instead just want short-term profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.