Next-Generation iMac to Potentially Offer Television Functionality?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Forbes reports on a new research note from Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair suggesting that Apple may bring some aspects of its rumored television set to the iMac with a revision in the first half of next year.
    While the full context of the claim is not included in the Forbes report, the claim is referred to as "speculation" on Blair's part and no specific evidence to support it is offered.

[​IMG]

Apple had previous offered its "Front Row" software for OS X, providing users with a full-screen media display to allow easy access to content while interacting with their Mac via the remote control previously included with most Macs. Front Row debuted on the iMac in 2005 and made its way throughout Apple's Mac lines, but was gradually phased out until it was completely removed in OS X Lion.

Apple is said to be developing a television set product featuring Siri-powered voice input, with a release rumored for late 2012 or 2013. An iMac offering some of that television functionality could bridge the gap to the dedicated television set, with the 21.5-inch and 27-inch screens on the iMac suitable for smaller-scale television settings.

Article Link: Next-Generation iMac to Potentially Offer Television Functionality?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nice to know that you just need a company to give you the title of analyst and whatever thoughts you put down about Apple will end up on Macrumors. Something for the youth of America to strive for I think.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Having a true TV tuner in an iMac wouldn't be seen as a bad thing for me. While I don't watch TV (OTA or Cable), having the built in option would be nice.

Combine that with Multi-Touch, it would be a nice device to have on the kitchen wall for various purposes.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

It's definitely interesting, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

An ideal location to place a desktop would not be the ideal location for TV. If they can bring this to the iMac via software update then that's great, but I'd still have a "real" TV.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Apple will do away with buttons of any sort by the middle of 2012.

- David Leblond, Analyst

6. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

Apple will integrate TV functionality into the new Xserve machines due in Febtober.

-Adam Kempenich, Analyst

7. divinox macrumors 68000

Analysts pulling stupid ideas out of their asses again, shocker.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

The iPad will fail because it's just a giant iPod Touch.
    - All analysts, early 2010

9. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

If I say I'm an analyst, could you publish my completely made-up guesses as news too?

10. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

As someone who just bought the lasted update to the iMac line-I would welcome this television integration.

We have our current imac in the study room which we use for our guests. As we have no TV in that room; this would come in handy as the iMac would then be called into service as television.

11. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

It's about time Apple brought a tv tuner back to the mac. Back in 1995, my first Mac was a 7500 power PC from Apple that could record and watch tv on.

Since then, Apple hasn't added that feature. Hope this rumor is true.

12. divinox macrumors 68000

You forgot stupid.

13. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

new iPad due september '11
    Richard Allen, Analyst

14. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Next iMacs will draw energy directly from the sun and the excess energy will be stored for night sessions, says Troll Toddington, analyst.

15. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I would need it in Matte before i could consider it

16. divinox macrumors 68000

Nice taste.

17. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

This makes a lot of sense. Most rooms in my house that have iMacs (garage, guest bathrooms, den, study, library, secret passageways in between the den study and library, servants quarters, and Bat Cave) are not wired for satellite or cable television and have a hard time pulling in an OTA HD signal. This would be perfect.

18. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

This + HiDPI = Much more sense than stand-alone iTV.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This makes more sense than a dedicated TV. My wife and I love using our 27" for hulu and netflix through plex as well as HBOGO.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I doubt I'd want to use such a feature on my iMac. I still prefer to watch shows on my dedicated TV, while sitting on the couch or my recliner. I don't watch long videos, TV shows or movies at my computer desk.

21. 435713, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

435713 macrumors 6502a

Just to get it out of the way.

Blu Ray????

*crickets*

Negative so no?

22. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I occasionally watch a few tv shows on my iMac but its not as good as my 5 year old Samsung LCD TV for this purpose. If they only offer glossy with glass over the top then count me out

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't see this happening.

24. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

I think it will be the iPhone 6GSS with a smooth glass lens attachement that projects television sized images from the backside of it. This is after they make the Retina-Retina display of the iPhone. This will give the iPhone a 4k display resolution.

Please publish my Analysis post haste:

Chester T. Copperpot, CTA
    Goonie Tech Analysts Unlimited, GmbH

25. Akack macrumors 6502a

interesting, can't wait to see what the new imacs look like.