Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
are they still giving a remote with iMacs or is that a separate $20 purchase?
No, since everything will be Siri-driven, they won't include even a keyboard and a mouse in the package, bringing the price of the base iMac down to $1000. Analysts say it will double the sales of the iMac for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter of 2012, and even 1st and 2nd quarter of 2013 will see a small increase in iMac sales.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Imagine this . . .

What if you go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buy a TV. Apple brand. It comes with an A6 or A7 chip set and is inclusive of Mac functionality, iPad functionality with a remote which is an iPod Touch. The remote is your input device by voice, swipe or virtual keyboard. It has a Bluetooth connection to a real keyboard with trackball if that is your "old school" thing.

It is multi-homing to your media connections, such as cable, broadcast, satellite as well as internet via fiber, copper, wireless and in a pinch (power outage), dial-up.

One box all control.

Have we arrived yet?

Last edited:

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
After image quality, the most important feature of a TV set for many people is the Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP), which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) tuners inside the TV set. Which manufacturers/models deliver that?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
As long as there is an HDMI input. But I wouldn't replace my 55" TV with a 27 inch iMac, though...

Most times I watch streamed movies (iTunes or NetFlix) via Apple TV. But at 720p with usually lots artifacts (due to compression much more than 720p).

I don't care for TV shows or "normal" movies, but for select movies, I prefer Bluray, where I CANNOT see any artifacts:
LOTR:EE, any Pixar or other visually stunning movies.

Oh god no, I like my 55 inch set as well. I just like more sh** in my PC, as much as I can get, others here like logos more than specs unfortunately. Master marketing I must say.

Compression is pretty heavy on iTunes stuff, HD looks decent though, I would never say bad. I do the same on my Blu's as well. I dont care for comedies in HD but LOTR, Star Wars (if they ever release the proper versions) Pirates, etc... I want the best I can get personally. Havent gotten a Pixar yet, I bet those do look really slick. Might need to Amazon some stuff for the Holidays.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What if you go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buy a TV. Apple brand. It comes with an A6 or A7 chip set and is inclusive of Mac functionality, iPad functionality with a remote which is an iPod Touch. The remote is your input device by voice, swipe or virtual keyboard. It has a Bluetooth connection to a real keyboard with trackball if that is your "old school" thing.

It is multi-homing to your media connections, such as cable, broadcast, satellite as well as internet via fiber, copper, wireless and in a pinch, dial-up.

One box all control.

Have we arrived yet?
That product incest feedback loop made my head explode. Ow...

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
An iMac-TV? No chance. I don't suppose any of these 'analysts' or individuals whose brother's-friend's-sister's-daughter working at Apple has thought that it would require another OS on top of, or part of, Lion?

If were being ultra realistic here (or more critical), these insiders have only started cooking up rumours and predictions because Steve Jobs suggested in his biography that he had "cracked" whatever it was which was holding Apple back from releasing a TV.

Note he said "cracked", not we've "cracked it, and were going to release a TV". I could easily say I've cracked the solution for time travel, but I won't be retro-fitting a DeLorean any time soon.

Apple won't produce a TV in the near future for the simple reason that they themselves know, within such a competitive and mature market, it would be ridiculous to try and sell a product that costs almost twice as much as competitors just because it has a picture of a fruit of it. Forget extra features such as streaming, downloading or 'the cloud', people these days can get content on the television set however they wish.

Whats more, the quality of TV are the components themselves. Unless Apple are going to contribute something to panel development, the end product isn't going to be much better or worse.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Already used an iMac as a smart TV for years

With a Terratec DVB-T tuner and Eye-TV, I have used my 20" iMac as a smart bedroom TV for years. Therefore not a lot new here, except the tuner will now probably be HD and built in. Only things missing from my Terratec are HD (for when my local transmitter changes over to HD DVB-T output, probably next April) and the ability to access supplementary channels via the "red button". Record, timed record and replay works perfectly with tvtv.com scheduling.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Video of Mac Performa 5400/5420 Director's Edition

Circa 1996 Apple did have a Mac with a tv tuner card. It was the Performa 5420.

This YouTube video clip shows the Performa with tv tuner card working.

Fast forward to 3:15 and you'll see the tv tuner card working. Otherwise, you can watch the entire video to see what it was like to use Mac OS 8, from boot-up to using.

For an updated iMac "Director's Edition" I would suggest adding a BluRay player in addition to HDTV tuner card.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The new Apple TV will incorporate a toaster oven. The voice of Siri will be replaced with Henry Winkler as The Fonz. Also, it will use the A18 hexacore processor with a Terabyte of RAM so it can output at QFHD resolution.
- FaustsHausUK, analyst/therapist

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My Mac & the family iPad2 are the only TVs we have, so, makes sense to me. I actually thought this might happen when I first heard the "I finally cracked it" quote. I don't think I posted it anywhere so I don't have any proof, but oh well. So you can go ahead and neg me.

Maybe Jobs really said:

"I finally cracked" when being asked what he thinks about analysts and lawsuit
reporting on Mac Rumors pages.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wait, so, I'm confused. Is this iMac-TV just an iMac with a TV Tuner, or something more? Because even my 8-year-old Dell PC (that we don't even use anymore) has a TV Tuner built in, so... Way to keep with the times Apple.

michealwillard

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
Actually this is starting to make more sense. I'm beginning to think that Steve has seen the move from people doing their computing in their home office, to doing more computing on the sofa or in bed, i.e. the popularity of MBA and iPads. If you move the family computer out to the living room, which is the center of most households these days, you can see how people would get more use out of it.

So I think the idea with the new Apple TV maybe to just make it a big iMac. It's still a bold strategy, but there is a definite dynamic shift in our culture now that is making the TV the centerpoint of our lives. Whether you like it or not. So why not try to integrate the family computer with that?

We shall see how it pans out. Personally I never ever thought the iPad would be as popular as it is. So I can still be surprised.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
And Apple's march toward becoming 80's era Sony continues. They are now a consumer electronics company.

No longer is the focus on doing, creating, and accomplishing. It's all about consumption.

iTools/.Mac was a way to share what you'd created. iCloud is all about consumption.

Other than iTunes -- a consumption engine -- none of the iLife apps get significant attention anymore. Ditch iDVD. Ditch iWeb. Dumb down iMovie.

I feel old.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
With the Mac Pro likely discontinued and the iMac moving towards a home entertainment centre, is it the end of the line for any serious computing functionality from Apple? (Not an anti-Apple comment, just an objective question.)

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I know right. I went negative fast on that one. God I love the people here, gives me a good chuckle. Little scary but fanboys are fanboys. :D

Uh oh negative again what ever shall I do. LOL

Haha, me too, and all I said was "not on this forum," which is absolutely true ;) Good lord!

Here's a good question:

What is "television functionality?"

Probably similar to what Microsoft added in their next Xbox OS update. They partnered with Verizon Fios to let you watch TV (provided you are a Fios customer) on your Xbox 360.

Now all Apple has to do is find a way past the hundreds of thousands of those horrendous cable boxes from comcast and the like. Comcast scares me a bit since they are a media company and a TV and internet service provider rolled up into one.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
I occasionally watch a few tv shows on my iMac but its not as good as my 5 year old Samsung LCD TV for this purpose. If they only offer glossy with glass over the top then count me out

HA! voted down for saying a TV rather than a conputer works better as a TV

The people on these forums, gotta love 'em

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Two things, I hope if they slim this down and use mainly cloud that they don't forget about hard drives cause than I'll get something other than a mac.

Secondly am I the only one who think iMacs were enough of a TV with front row, I mean you have enough content on your iMac via iTunes and thats pretty much it, my iMac has been my TV for years. :apple:

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
MacTV anyone? Actually, I wanted one of those back in the day.

I don't actually understand why computers don't come standard with TV tuners these days. Sure, there are legal/technical issues now, but it just never seemed to take off. Nevermind, we watch movies all the time on our computers. In Apple's case, I think its an issue of control. They don't want to give us easy access to free content not purchased through the Apple portal (iTunes, App stores). But if Apple can monetize it, they might just build it into the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.