Next-Generation iPad Mini Rear Shell Appears Again in New Photos

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I still don't think a Retina Mini is coming this year. The current Mini is still selling like crazy, and even the new Nexus 7 isn't holding it back. The technology is there, and Apple can do it, but I think this year is all about the iPad 5, and trying to bring iPad Mini customers to the full size iPad.

If the iPad 5 gets the Mini's design, then it'll be smaller, narrower, thinner, and lighter, bringing it a closer level in terms of size to the Mini. So you end up with a slightly larger device, but with Retina Display. I can see a lot of current Mini customers switching to the iPad 5, and paying $499 (w/ higher profit margins) to Apple instead of $329. If the Mini gets Retina, then it'll another year for the Mini killing big iPad sales, and shareholders won't be happy because it has less profit margins, and that what matters to Apple.

For this year, I think the Mini 2 will get the A6 chip, a lot more battery life, which will be similar inline with the Macbook Air update we saw at WWDC. Maybe they'll introduce a game controller or some new colors to differentiate it from the 1st gen. As for the iPad 5, it'll get the new design, Retina Display, and some other killer feature.

adnbek

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I'm afraid the first Retina Mini will be as a failure as the iPad 3 was and they'll have to introduce the iPad Mini 3 in March.
The iPad 3 used an A5X processor which was underpowered for that resolution. Most likely the new Mini, if it is retina, will have the A6X which is more than capable at that resolution.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Have you thought that Retina isn't feasible right now?
I have a feeling a lot of people are not buying that reason. It does not even have to be insanely high just better than the low resolution it is now. If others can do it for less money I'm sure Apple can.

Last edited:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Others sure can by sacrificing quality.
Possible, however Apple is also more expensive to make up for that. It really needs a higher resolution to not get even further behind. It is also a deal breaker for many people me included. A higher resolution is a big selling feature.

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I wish you could vote down a post here. This is BS.

I'm using my launch day ipad 3 now and it has been much better than my iPad 1 or 2. You are totally exaggerating to just be a pain in the axx or you don't know what you are talking about.
Agreed. I had iPad 3 (the new iPad called then) and it was fantastic. Slightly thicker but I didn't really mind. I just can't find any reason why someone would call it a faliure!!

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
The iPad 3 used an A5X processor which was underpowered for that resolution. Most likely the new Mini, if it is retina, will have the A6X which is more than capable at that resolution.
Yeah, maybe. But I was also referring to the fact that it'll still be "the first Mini with Retina". There usually are "things" with products that include big changes.

I wish you could vote down a post here. This is BS.

I'm using my launch day ipad 3 now and it has been much better than my iPad 1 or 2. You are totally exaggerating to just be a pain in the axx or you don't know what you are talking about.
Hey man, think whatever you want, but I'm not the only one thinking like that. A lot of users in these forums think that way, including the user I quoted right before you. (guessing here based on your post adnbek, correct me if I'm wrong)

WTH, even Apple thinks like that apparently as they felt the need to launch the iPad 4 only six months after the iPad 3 launch and they even offered iPads 4 to those people who had bought an iPad 3 in the last month.

I've owned an iPad 3 since launch day myself which I sold two days ago for €360 (white, 64GB, wifi only), so I do know what I'm talking about. iPad 3 was a mistake.

I'm not saying it's ****, I'm saying it was not the product it should've been. The main proof is the fact that there are games that can run full graphs on the iPad 4, iPad 2 and the Mini but can't on the iPad 3. Its processor did not have power enough as to move that screen at full performance. PERIOD.